Star Trek Phase II's Mudd Episode Status

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by GSchnitzer, Sep 18, 2013.

1. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

In answer to a question over on the "Kitumba" thread....

Well, our Mudd story is sort of back-burnered.

We've had a Mudd story in the works for years now. Mr. J.G. Hertzler was slated to direct the episode and play Harry Mudd. To make a long story short, J.G.'s schedule changed and it became difficult for him to do the episode--so we've had to decide whether the story was important enough to move to the top of the pile without him, or if we should just wait until his schedule changes. In the meantime, Mr. James Cawley thought that Mr. Eric Stillwell might make a good Mudd. James also thought that Mr. Russell Bennett Jr. might be a good Mudd.

But things changed a while back when CBS asked us at Phase II to not produce an original Mr. Norman Spinrad script from TOS that had been "discovered." Our new understanding is that any property (i.e. story or script) that had been paid for fair and square by CBS--even back when Star Trek was owned by Desilu, Paramount, Viacom, etc.) is something that they own the rights to outright and we can't produce. It turns out our Mudd story was a script by Mr. Howard Weinstein based on his three-part story he did for DC comics back in the 90s. Since it was an officially licensed Star Trek product, that story is CBS's story, too. So if we want to do a Mudd story, we'll have to come up with something new.

Now that Mr. David Gerrold is our Showrunner, he is developing an agenda and slate of the stories he's interested in producing. It may or may not involve a Mudd story.

2. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Thanks for the clarification!

3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Will be very interested to see in what direction this takes you folks.

4. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Oh, I would pay good money to have a peek at that script. A previously unknown Star Trek script from the scribe of "The Doomsday Machine"? WANT.

5. GSchnitzer

Well, it wasn't unknown; it was just sort of misplaced.

More info at this old five-page thread:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=163009

6. Professor Moriarty

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Know that Harry Mudd is a beloved guest character. Know that folks get a thrill when he returns to trouble our intrepid crew. But I'd rather see PHASE: II chart newer territory and stranger new worlds than rely on what's come before, especially now with David Gerrold as show runner.

8. GSchnitzer

Yes--with the understanding that large swaths of our fan base want the exact opposite of what you would like to see--just as you suggest. So we have multiple constituents to keep happy and our script selections are a bit of a balancing act.

Thanks for the input!

9. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm rather corpulent, balding, and silly. I'll play Mudd for you. No joking here.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Do you really think fans won't watch episodes which don't trot out items/actors from the past? And, assuming some of them didn't, what does audience size matter to a non-commercial effort? Just curious.

11. Professor Moriarty

If it's well-made with a modicum of talent and affection for the series, I'll watch these folks reading a cargo manifest.

12. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Not that it matters at this point, but the original "delay" was that J.G. tore his rotator cuff and could not perform. The schedule problems came after he healed....

13. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Ouch! I hope he's feeling better!