X-Play's nominees for 2009 game of the year.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aragorn, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

X-Play will have their best of the year show sometime next week, and for game of the year these are their finalists:

Assassin's Creed II (360, PS3, PC)
    Borderlands (360, PS3, PC)
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360, PS3, PC)
    Infamous (PS3)
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

Thoughts? Opinions? Agree? Disagree? What should be on there? What shouldn't be on there?

2. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I HAVE to imagine that something came out in Q1 2009 that was somewhat important... Street Fighter 4 maybe?

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Arkham Asylum and Dragon Age should have been there, but I really can't argue with their choices too much.

4. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

Borderlands? really? it's a fine game. a solid B game... not game of the year material... i'd put Batman and Plants vs. Zombies on the list for games of the year.

5. Shakaar

Shakaar Captain Captain

That's a hell of a list. I love Borderlands, but I would substitute Arkham Asylum there instead. I'd probably choose Uncharted 2 as the top game. After that, on this list, it would come down to ACII or Infamous. Not sure how that would come out, although I haven't quite finished ACII yet. Throw in Arkham Asylum and I think my head would explode trying to choose.

While all 3 of those games are similar in terms of gameplay in many respects, they feel completely different. That said, ACII and Arkham tell better stories, but the setting and gameplay of Infamous keeps bringing me back.

One thing is for sure though. This has been a great year for games as far as I'm concerned. There are several other games that could almost make this list.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Assassin's Creed II? Really? And I loved Modern Warfare 2, but come on. Is this Best Game of the Year or Most Hyped Game of the Year?

7. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Assassin's Creed II gets my vote.

Though, that may change when my PS3 and InFamous arrive tomorrow.

8. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Batman: Arkham Asylum should be on the list. I can't really judge MW2 and Borderlands considering I haven't played them.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Batman should be on the list but I would think they might choose Unchated 2.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It wouldn't really make sense to release their best games in Q1. Everyone will have used up their money on Christmas and you'd have no holidays to encourage people to buy for.

11. zakfa

zakfa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A solid list that I can mostly agree with. I'm just saddened at the lack of love for Demon's Souls on all these "best of" lists and awards at the end of this year. I really thought that was one of the best games all year. I guess it just doesn't have very broad appeal.

12. JonathonWally

Q1 2010 may actually have some serious contenders next year with Alan Wake and GoW3 both dropping in March. FF13 as well or is that June now? Hard to keep up.

Almost forgot, Bioshock 2 in February.

13. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ FF13 is being released on March 9th. :D

14. JonathonWally

And since I bought a PS3 the other day, I'll get it for that instead of 360.

15. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Good idea considering the 360 version will actually be a bit... watered down. While the content will be the same, the PS3 will have high bitrate 1080p video and uncompressed audio while supposedly the 360 version will have lower bitrate 720p video and compressed audio.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'll definitely be getting FFXIII for the PS3, too. Final Fantasy is just one of those series I can't really imagine playing on an Xbox. Same with Metal Gear Solid, though I think there is an MGS game being made for the Xbox now (not sure if it's going to be exclusive).

17. Adagio

Adagio Captain Captain

Borderlands does not belong on there. It was okay, but nothing spectacular. I wonder if it's on there because X Play was looking for an open-ended FPS. It's like Fallout 3, but inferior. I can't think of another good open-ended FPS that was released this year, though.

18. JonathonWally

It's so it doesn't take up 5 discs for 360 like everyone's been joking about.

The main reason I picked up a PS3 was for GoW3 (and Collection) and FF13.

19. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will echo Batman: AA. AC II was good but nowhere as good as Batman.

20. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Yeah I know why they're watering down the 360 version... but in the end, it doesn't really matter. The PS3 version will be superior.