TCM Genre movies schedule...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched House of Wax, it's a kick to see Charles Bronson looking so creepy... he'd have made a good Frankenstein's monster back then. Some great Price lines in his tour of the new museum, too.

I actually first saw it in 3D -- there was a 70s revival release of it in theaters with the cardboard glasses and everything. :lol:

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember watching this with my little brother on "Monster Movie Matinee" one Saturday. He was completely creeped out. So what did I do? Cut a hole in the bottom of a paper bag, stuck my hand in and asked him if he wanted a piece of candy.

His screams were wonderful.

Vandervecken likes this.
  3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I wish I had recorded Curse Of Frankenstein. That's one I don't have, and I haven't seen it in ages.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I did decide to try out Curse of Frankenstein, since I don't think I've ever seen a Hammer horror film. It was okay, but the monster was rather underwhelming -- hideous, but not really posing that great a threat. And it didn't really capture the essence of the story, which was that Victor Frankenstein created an innocent being but rejected and hated it and thereby turned it bitter and vengeful. It is a novel twist seeing a version of Frankenstein who's blindly devoted to the monster no matter what it does (since he has Paul to blame for its failure to live up to his expectations), but it kinda takes the thematic depth away.

5. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

The only version like that I'm aware of is the 1994 film with Kenneth Branah as Victor and De Niro as the monster. Does anyone know of more Frankenstein films that are closer to the book?

I still really like Hammer horror films even the lesser ones they have a certain charm to them like the old universal monster movies.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

fyi: TCM has a whole slate of classic horror movies tonight: The Wolf Man, The Uninvited (a great old ghost story), Dead of Night, Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie, etc.

My DVR is ready . . ..

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think the first couple of Karloff movies have sort of that same idea, at least vaguely. Karloff's monster has a certain innocence to him, and it's being locked away by Frankenstein and tormented by Fritz that drives him to lash out. There's a theme of the monster being misunderstood and persecuted, driven to violence in retaliation. And of course that theme has its culmination in the greatest of all Frankenstein movies, Young Frankenstein. If Shelley's novel is an allegory for the damage that an abusive or neglectful parent can inflict on a child, YF is an allegory for the healing power of a loving, forgiving parent.

Come to think of it, Cushing's Frankenstein in Curse has sort of the same mentality as Friedrich in Young Frankenstein -- he doesn't blame the creature for being hideous or violent, and wants to cure its neurological damage rather than rejecting it as a failure or a monstrosity. One wonders what Cuhsing's Victor could've achieved if he'd had someone more supportive aiding in his research rather than the violently self-righteous Paul. Then again, unlike Victor, Friedrich didn't deliberately commit murder to get the brain he wanted. While Friedrich was motivated by parental love, Victor was driven by blind obsession, seeing it only as an experiment. So I doubt he could've redeemed his creature in the same way.

8. RJDiogenes

I wish they'd schedule more of the Hammer films. I haven't seen most of them in decades.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

GAAAH! My DVD burner just died! Again! I've got all these TCM recordings and can't do anything with them!

10. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

You could, I don't know, watch them, maybe?

11. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, that.

12. Klaus

Last-minute addendum: Just noticed Heavy Metal is on at 345am tonight [Saturday morning] EST!!

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Not quite genre, but I'm amused to see that TCM is running a Three Musketeers marathon Friday night, showing three different versions in a row.

(Now doubt to cash in on the new 3D version.)

14. Klaus

The swordfights in the Gene Kelly version are très amusant.

15. Klaus

16. RJDiogenes

Nice. I haven't seen either Daleks or UFO-- I'm not sure about War Of The Planets. I'll record all of them.

17. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

What? You don't have both Dalek movies on DVD? Shame on you! :rommie:

18. RJDiogenes

Sadly, I do not. :rommie:

Even more sadly, those were "am" times, and they were already past when I read that post. Oh, well.

19. Klaus

Sorry for the late notice, I need to stay on top of this again... :(

20. RJDiogenes

Not your fault at all. I usually check what's on overnight myself, but things have been kind of discombobulated around here lately.