What if Firefly had run for five seasons?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joe Washington, May 19, 2009.

1. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The first season ends with the events of Those Left Behind, with Inara leaving Serenity, Book deciding to leave as well, the deaths of the Blue Hands Men and the introduction of the Operative.

The second season covers the events of the Serenity movie and ends with the Miranda broadcast, Inara rejoining the crew, Simon and Kaylee getting together, and the Serenity crew going off on their merry way but without the dearly departed Book and Wash joining them.

Where would do you take things after that?

2. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

They go back in time to Earth that was and take down the origins of the Blue Sun Corporation, only then it was called the FOX Corporation....

3. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I think I still would have killed either Book or Wash - probably Book - in season two.

I don't have any real specific ideas for further seasons, other than a general one where eventually Mal would come to be a leader in a second war for independence.

4. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Simon hooking up with Kaylee would've equaled death for him (though it might still have been worth it...) also it would put River in an interesting situation, without her older brother to look out for her. So yeah, I think Simon would've eventually been killed off in the 2nd or 3rd season.

5. Joe Washington

I always thought Kaylee would be the one who'll eventually die, not Simon. And imagine how much interesting character development would have come out of a grief-stricken, darker Simon.

6. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought they should all survive and go live in the Land of Sugarplums.

7. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

There's something awesomely ironic about that sig combined with that post. :D

Firefly would probably be considered one of the better scifi shows out there, but I doubt that it would get as much acclaim as it does now. Much of that, in my experience, is due to its potential, which would have been realized, and it would have almost inevitably gone downhill at some point.

And I say this as a fan of the show who has his own Jayne hat...:shifty:

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Jesus Christ would have returned from the dead.

9. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Simon and Mal decide to investigate the "school" that implanted ninja skills into River's brain, and discover an entire a secret entire spa-like house full of young people like her having their personalities rewritten and erased, like dolls...

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Oh no, not again!!

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think we might have seen something similar to what happened with Wesley in Angel. Which is not a bad thing at all.

12. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sweet Zombie Jesus!

Anyhow, if Firefly was five seasons? Simple, we'd have four more seasons of awesomeness than we do now. *glares daggers at FOX*

13. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Things we missed out on when Firefly was cancelled

Morena Bacarin leaves the cast in season 3 for her own spin-off series, HBO's "Inara." Saffron, played by the lovely Christina Hendricks, joins the cast as Mal's new love interest causing the internet fans to divide into two camps

In season 5, Mal and crew join the Alliance to fight it from the inside. Serenity is traded in for one of the Alliance Skyscraper cruisers

Mal's younger brother Dusty, played by former child star Jonathon Lipnicki, joins the cast in season 6. Some fans embrace the character, while many others consider him "whiny."

Season 4 contains an episode hailed by fans as one of the series very best. After Mal is blinded in a Reaver attack, the rest of the episode is shown from his point of view: just a black screen with voice overs. Says director Joss Whedon in an interview, "I wanted to push myself as a Director. I didn't want to keep falling back on the crutch of 'Over, over, 2-shot."

During the hiatus between seasons 3 & 4, series star Nathan Fillion use the time to star in the new live action film version of Hanna Barbara's the Jetsons. Says Fillion in an interview, "I love doing Firefly and working with (series creator) Joss Whedon, but the Jetsons is allowing me to stretch my acting muscles and do something a little different."

Season 2 sees David Boreanaz, star of Whedon's recently cancelled Angel, star as the president of the Blue Sun corporation.

In season 3, former Buffy co-star Nicholas Brendon was cast as the evil President of the Alliance. When asked, Brendon was quoted as saying "Who wouldn't do it? I got promoted from hunky yet witty best friend to head of the galaxy. Go me!"

In season 6, three words: Firefly the Musical

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  14. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

You know, I realized that the second I posted it.

Damn You :devil:

Oh and by the way - I completely agree with you. And I Too have a Jayne Hat :p

15. Joe Washington

SEASON THREE:

The consequences of the Miranda broadcast unfold. Though the Alliance has been able to fool most of the worlds under their control that the Miranda broadcast was a fake, it has hit a patch of difficulty trying to convince the rim worlds of the same thing. A rebel movement, made up of former Browncoats who refuse to give up the fight aganist the Alliance, use this as an opportunity to start a second War of Independence. This is the same movement that helped Simon rescue River but for the reason of using her as a weapon aganist the Alliance, which Simon was opposed to and took her from their clutches before they had a chance to try.

At the capital of the Alliance, tensions are mounting between two sides of Parialment. One is under the influence of the Blue Sun Corporation and the other is aganist that influence. The leader of the anti-Blue Sun faction of Parialment starts receiving help from someone who wants to get rid of the Corporation, seeing it as the source of the Alliance's corruption. That someone turns out to be the Operative.

Meanwhile, the Serenity crew settles on a planet where Mal's mother lives. They plan on laying low there and get themselves a new living to get them by for the time being since most of their clients have been killed. Mal tries to give things a shot with Inara, who feels compelled to finally tell Mal that she is suffering from a terminal illness, which she has been able to keep it at bay with injections so far. Zoe struggles with her grief over Wash's death. Jayne starts questioning the direction of his life after the deaths of two of his crewmates. River falls for someone who lives on the planet and is drawn to that person when his mind is the only mind River can't read for some reason.

In the seventh episode, Simon feels the time has come for them to involve themselves in what's going off-world while Mal feels they have done enough with the Miranda broadcast. This splits the Serenity crew into two. Jayne, River, and Inara on Mal's side, and Zoe and Kaylee on Simon's side. By the end of the episode, Simon takes one half of the crew with him off-world while Mal and the other half stays on the planet.

16. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

This is what I always thought would have happened with Simon and Kaylee. It's a Whedon show--Simon couldn't remain squeaky clean forever.

17. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

You made a hat out of Jayne? How did you get him to bend like that?;)

18. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Everyone gets in Jayne's bunk.

19. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the bumper sticker...

If Jesus comes back we'll just have to kill him again. :guffaw: