Best Joss Whedon show?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Best show

1. Buffy

29.2%
  2. Angel

23.8%
  3. Firefly

46.9%
  1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Which Joss Whedon show do you consider to be the best?

I saw the shows when they first appeared. I think Buffy has the best starting seasons, while Angel had the best middle seasons, and Firefly was mostly good all the way through but I didn't care much for Serenity. So I picked Angel mostly because I seem to rewatch it the most on dvd.

2. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having never seen Buffy or Angel, I'm going to go with Firefly, which I love.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, I love Firefly. I just finished watching all of Buffy for the first time, and I thought it was pretty good. However, it definitely had a lot of episodes that, to me, just weren't all that exciting. When it was good, it was very good, but it could also be very mediocre.

I still have a half season left in Angel, so I will reserve my vote until I finish. However, it looks like Angel might win out.

4. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Firefly

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Firefly was fun and all but I don't think its fair to weigh a half-season against a five or seven year show. Buffy was great at first but its later years soured the deal. Angel is my vote because (after the first season) it was always good and consistent.

6. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

That is being a bit overly kind to the Pylea arc, but I'll let it slide. ;)

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a toughie, since I love all 3 shows for different reasons, but I'm gonna pick BtVS because it has two of my all-time favorite seasons of anything (Seasons 6 and 5).

8. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Angel was great, but Firefly was better.

9. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Own Angel and Firefly, watched most of Buffy-FIREFLY. Just better characters, IMO, playing upon the experience he built up doing the other two shows....

10. amdmiami

amdmiami Commander Red Shirt

Bffy FTW! However Angel and Firefly are almost just as good. Buffy wins by a hair line :).

11. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Angel as a complete show, although I think Firefly had more potential.

12. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Well, Firefly was doing much better than either Buffy or Angel after 13 episodes IMO.

However, I don't think you can properly compare a 13 episode series with either Buffy or Angel, so I'd go for either of those really. Angel was much more consistent so was probably the better show, but Buffy is the one I like just a teensy bit more.

13. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

I'll give it to Angel also; I think it achieved a greater consistency than BTVS did. Firefly, as has already been mentioned, was awfully short to try and evaluate compared to the longer series.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

And that's just it. I think people tend to have an overly skewed view of the show because of the way it ended. But, despite what all the conspiracy theorists and "Brown Coats" tend to spew from their bully pulpit, I think there's a much more obvious and mundane reason it was canceled: it was stale, trite, and boring ... and kind of obvious. I never understood why it gets so much attention. (Of course, I think the same way of BSG, but I digress.) And, had the show not been killed the way it was, I doubt it would have lasted past two season, anyway.

If it wasn't for that God awfully bad season 4, I might have voted for "Angel." But that just ruins the whole show for me. One of the other Buffyverse threads we had over the past few weeks veered off into dissecting the events of the seasons end. As I was reading the various posts of the plots, I found it more and more incredulous that so many people found that entertaining television.

So in the end, it really is "Buffy." While I certianly don't deny it has its fualts, it really presents the complete package. I don't think there's ever been another show made that, over the years, pulled viewers across such a wide and varied range of emotions.

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Knowing this board, Firefly will easily win. And as it did on a similar thread last year

For me it's like choosing between three children, but on the "as a whole" angle I'd have to say Angel.
    But the High School era of Buffy will always be what stays with me when I think back to the 'verse in say 20 years time (and that's not to say I don't love s4-7, but s1-3 just is Buffy the Vampire Slayer for me)

btw, I was gonna make a thread for this, but I'll just post it here.
    Remember those rumours Alan Tudyk started for a Serenity sequel, here's him and Nathan Fillion talking about it, bloody funny-
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEvYzA2_YU

16. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My vote's definitely for BtVS.

Yes, it completely broke my heart in the last season, and I broke up with it and then got back together with it more often than I should have in S5 and S6. But at its best Buffy is some of the best, cleverest, most enjoyableTV ever made (imo, obv).

Buffy's one of only about three shows that I've ever gotten genuinely excited about to the point of considering a new episode airing synonymous with my blowing people off because "I already have plans for the evening".

Firefly is fun, but it's only 13 episodes. No idea where it've ended up going.

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Just to be a geek, I'll point out FF had 14 episodes ;)

18. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oops. I fail. :)

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

While the Pylea arc was a little silly it was absolutely hilarious and provided a needed counterpoint to the end of Buffy S5 which was completely dark and gloomy. Plus, it introduced Fred! And I think the hugest laugh the series ever did was when Lorne's head talked to Cordy.

20. sportzkid

sportzkid Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then how can you accurately judge between the three shows?

I choose Angel, because I felt overall Angel was a stronger show. I felt that Buffy's last two seasons outside Once more with feeling where nothing great and in my view drag down Buffy's overall grade. Like others have side I don't think it is fair to compare 14 episode show to a 7 season and 5 season show.