The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Rally? I always thought it looked pretty good.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ln1OW3im4A[/yt]

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

One or two bodies floating away would be cool for that scene.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'd be open to that but I really don't see it happening.

4. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Ugh... The CGI we've already seen is worse than the original model work. I wouldn't expect any improvements from CGI for this scene either.

The detail model may not be perfect, but it is striking and perfectly effective. Can't wait to see this, the CU of the primary shuttle bay in Cause and Effect (along w the nacelle getting smashed), the shuttle launch from The Child, the elaborate fly-bys from Birthright, Part I and the end of All Good Things. So much amazing model work. No need to sully the show with lesser recreations.

5. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

We need to start ignoring the CGers. They really won't be pleased until the entire show is redone. It's amazing me how many people are convinced there's more CG shots in the show than the producers are admitting to. If it makes them happy...

This hull cutting scene is amazing, BTW. I'm looking forward to seeing the detail in the cut away decks.

6. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

It does look better than I remember tbh so to hell with the CGI!%*!!!%&^%@!!!!!

7. Flake

The strange thing is that they have CGI'd the odd angle warp shot......without fixing the odd angle or changing the stars to the correct angle. Therefore it makes zero sense to do it unless they have lost that VFX element in which case they could've fixed the star angle or the ship angle blehhhhh nvm... sideways warp forever.

8. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Buuuuuurrrrrn 'em!!!!!! :techman:

:guffaw:

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

With CGI it can be in there, but it can't be as glaring as it is in the opening shot of Light. One thing hat I really enjoyed about the CGI in TOS-R was that the ships all looked like they could've been physical models that had been shot instead of CGI models.

10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

That's weird, the point of TOS-R was to make it look like "what if they had CG in the 60s?" Hence the lack of ultra detailed super close ups or crazy zoom outs.

Personally, I'd love to see what the Q, Who scene looks like, as is. Although I wouldn't object to compositing in some crew members freaking the fuck out inside the beam though.

11. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I think the later episodes of TOS-R certainly looked good, but I wouldn't say all the shots achieved that level of excellence. The soft lighting on most ships rendered many of them a bit cartoon-y for my tastes, and I am a huge fan of TOS-R

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I still remember that the first TOS-R episode that I saw was recorded to DVD from analog cable and a friend and I were just floored at how well and how close to a physical model the CGI Enterprise and planet in "Naked Time" looked. At first my friend couldn't even believe that the episode had been recorded off of analog cable, and he kept saying that I must've recorded it off of digital cable or satellite. But at the time I only had analog cable.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I generally liked the CGI in TOS-R, but I do still think they got a little too flashy and show-offy with some of those new shots. All those beautiful flyovers, space battles, and ringed planets just felt like they belonged more on VOY or ENT than 1960s Star Trek.

14. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I had time to watch part of "Inner Light." I'd seen the screenshot of the CGI Enterprise that opens the episode, and I honestly thought it looked pretty good.

It doesn't. Absolutely horrendous. Very obviously CGI and just doesn't work the way the CGI shots of "Farpoint" did. Fortunately, it seems these shots will be few and far between. I hope.
    The new FX for "Galileo Seven" were horrid. It looked like scenes from a Star Trek video game. I thought the FX team did some really good work, but the scenes they talked up the most and were seemingly the most proud of were, IMO, some of the worst scenes.

15. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

No it wasn't. It was to replace the shots with near identical ones that looked as much like a model as possible. Then some vocal fans complained incessantly that they wanted more variety until Okuda had another model built that they could maneuver more and they essentially started experimenting with it, producing shots that were outside of the experience of the people they hired.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You're saying you don't wish to make this a "religious debate" left me dubious.

17. Flake

I'd have Seasons 1 & 2 over 6 & 7 every time :) Some great pure sci-fi cheese in S1&2 - pure Roddenberry Trek and I enjoy it - thoroughly entertaining :) Sure there are some stinkers mixed in but I don't have to watch those do I :D S1 and 2 focused more on action & adventure rather than the calm, controlled, formal, dialogue driven, technobabble bloated 'Berman Trek' TNG turned into at the end - Seasons 1 and 2 are much more fun!

18. davejames

The only two things that really bothered me were the god awful green and purple planet in Mirror, Mirror, and the slightly cartoony looking ship in Balance of Terror.

Those were such great, classic episodes, and it almost feels as if they've been tarnished a bit now.

All the other changes I either like, or can easily live with.

19. davejames

I love Season 6. That to me is when it felt like the writers really started to have some fun with the show. Whether it was bringing back Scotty, turning the crew into little kids, making Worf a cowboy, turning Troi into a Romulan, or letting Q be Picard's guide in the afterlife.

Maybe all that was too cute and gimmicky for some fans, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. :)

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I double checked before mentioning it. I didn't want to be one of those "It's CG!" people if I could help it. ;)