50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Atticus, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a money issue if this is true. Instead of the BBC worrying about how much money one or more classic Doctors would want to be in the special, they get 2 actors to play 1 and 2 that can be paid at a much lower rate. Is the Wax dummy of Baker from the 5 doctors still available? I'm sure he wouldn't demand too much! LOL

2. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Palpable nonsense. You may not like the older stuff - and that's understandable - but despite superficial differences in pacing and production, Doctor Who is Doctor Who. You can divide it (1963-'89, '96, 2005-) into several distinctly different eras (the early Hartnell historicals, the Troughton action adventure serials, the Quatermass-inspired contemporary Earth-based stories of the Pertwee era, Philip Hinchcliffe's Gothic horror of the early Tom Bakers, before Douglas Adams brought a more light-hearted approach, right up to the Buffy-esque postmodern RTD era and the dark fairytale of Moffat), but the Doctor, his intelligence, his heroism, the central mystery of his true nature, the TARDIS, the Daleks, the Cybermen, the Sontarans, the Ice Warriors, the Master, the Autons (featured in the first Eccleston episode), the upcoming Zygons, Sarah Jane Smith, K9 etc. are iconic constants of the programme.

The actors who made the show what it is today (particularly Tennant and Smith) have drawn on and based their own performances on their predecessors, from Tennant overtly taking on certain Tom Baker mannerisms and vocal inflections (the breathy, bulgy-eyed "Awww!!" and the "Weeeelll..."), and the Peter Davison sniffle (not to mention the things they even went to the trouble of highlighting in Time Crash; the excitable squeaky voice, the brainy specs, the trainers), to Matt Smith's very Troughton-esque look, vocal inflections and physicality.

The format of the series itself today is in effect a distillation of all the various eras and approaches to the show in the old days.

I'm not sure it's possible to answer that, even hypothetically. The modern series is absolutely, in every respect, the culmination of the first 26 years. The 2005 series built on the concepts of the earlier run - aside from the Doctor and the TARDIS, and the basic format, you have the Daleks and (most importantly) regeneration showcased in that first revival series.

If the basic 1963 concept of the show had instead been created in 2005, it's probable that it would still be running today, but who knows. In any case, it wouldn't be the same.

3. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Trials and Tribblations is hard to do. Partially because DW has few episodes that are on the Tardis completely and have multiple doctors on there. It's always on location some where. DS9 did 2 things having practical set reconstructions of parts of the ship and some CGI when "enteracting" with the crew or in the same shot as the crew. But really if you watch that episode there were actually few scenes where they were with the TOS crew at the same time It's seamless how it's done. DW is just a different show and really can't have that because the other doctors were always on some planet or having some adventure going on somewhere or occasionally defending the earth from the Daleks, Cybermen, Ice Warriors, or other foes. It's hard to put two stories with that. The best way to bring back all the old doctors is having younger guys playing those roles. Especially for the first 7. Have you really seen how Collin Baker looks now? He does a great job as the role in voice for Big Finish but you can't even recognize him now. Baker looks much older too. I do agree McGann looks pretty young plus we can have him be a bit older since we have no idea how long he really was the doctor so any aging there would be fine. I kinda wish they woulda brought him back partly because I love the Big Finish 8th doctor stories. I do agree McCoy could possibly play him. He's probably a little too old but I agree with others that he looked older then.

If anyone hasn't heard Big Finish and wants to get into them listen to all of the 8th doctors stories. I like all the doctors in the Big Finish medium but I was mostly interested because I wanted to hear more of the 8th doctor and they deliver here.

Still even if you could get actors to play all the doctors once again or bring back some a 45-70 minute story for these guys(which is what you get after adverts) just wouldn't be enough for a good story. Big Finish will deliver much better on the 50th reunion story for the earlier doctors. I'm probably just as excited for their reunion story this fall as I am for the DW televised 50th which I probably won't catch when it airs because I won't have cable.

4. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

I do think the way the stories have to be told now does effect somethings but the writing has been solid enough to make it to where it doesn't matter as much. Back then the stories were mostly told in 4 part 25 minute formats as compared to the 1 story 45 minute format. But besides that there are a bunch of little nods to the history of the show even in the Matt Smith era. And not just the obvious ones like when his clone in the 6th series impersonated past doctors.

The best episode in the Matt Smith era(IMO) is probably Doctor's Wife which has such great imagery in it's writing that you can almost see the 1st Doctor falling in love with the Tardis and stealing it, or as it was implied having the Tardis steal him. That was definitely very Doctor Who and would have been an awesome story if it was any doctor not just the Matt Smith era.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^I think it was first written for David Tennant anyway, wasn't it?

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

If that's the one where Amy and Rory get lost inside the TARDIS, then yeah.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the writing is strong and witty and fun enough that I think the show would still be popular, just not to the degree it is now.

It's that huge element of nostalgia and love for the character that is really sending if over the top. Even if you've never watched the classic series, you can feel how special and iconic the whole thing is.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Well I don't think the 11th doctor(or if it had premiered in 2005 the 3rd doctor's) speech from last week would hold much weight

We've followed him from happy times to sad times(Aldric dying or River dying or Peri dying)

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

It would carry a different weight. Instead of us knowing what he's alluding too, it might have us asking, "what happened to this mysterious man, he's even more mysterious to us now."

Who knows.

10. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    And the last thing they should do is stuff a bunch of 70-80 year old actors back into their old costumes so they can shuffle away from monsters for an hour. The surviving older Doctors are doing an audio adventure together for the 50th, where their age isn't as big a factor.

11. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I'd just like to point out that Colin, Sylvester and Paul are all currently in New Zealand so anyone expecting them to show up in set photos for the 50th anniversary... they won't be.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Unless they're filming their bits with Peter Jackson :devil:

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't you hear, in the second Hobbit movie Radagast tears off his robes to reveal he is the Doctor!

14. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why would we need them? For Doctor Who's 50th anniversary, we'll be celebrating 6 years of Doctor Who with David Tennant returning! So glad we could use the 50th to celebrate the last 6 years.

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

6? hmmm 2005 to 2013 is 8 years. LOL

16. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Yes, because the only way to celebrate all 50 years is to have former Doctor actors return... As I said before, wait and see what they do for the special before you decide what it is or isn't celebrating or disrespecting...

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I get the feeling that no matter how fun and well-written this special is, people here are just going to automatically dismiss it anyway because it didn't squeeze in the other actors.

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I think we're also looking at this shortsightedly

Who know, maybe after filming of series 8(the first half) they'll announce an anniversary special with classic doctor actors cast

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I've figured out what my problem is with the Anny, and it has nothing to do with the fact that we may not be getting any classic Doctors either.

My problem is that if they're going to do a multi-Doctor story, just having two Doctors seems a tad on the dull side (regardless of who those two are). If Eccleston had agreed to do it and it was at least the three of them in the Special, I wouldn't be having this issue.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought they won't begin S8 until next year? Bit late to do an anniversary special.