New ST:XI trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Sector 7, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Shatterhand

Shatterhand Lieutenant Red Shirt

Beautiful. Just beautiful. When I saw it before Quantum of Solace last Friday, it seemed to go so fast that I missed a lot of detail. But now, I can savor every second, and I'm loving this all the more.

What makes me sad, however, is that a faction of Star Trek fandom is bound and determined to see Abrams' endeavor crash and burn, and mercilessly berate anyone who wishes to give the new movie a chance. To my mind, it's reminiscent of the ire fans felt over the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. Hardcore fans of the original had declared the new take on BSG a failure a month before the miniseries and soon after the announcement of a full series run. After three and a half seasons, it's one of the most popular shows on television and loved by critics and fans worldwide, AND it re-ignited interest in the original series.

That's why I'm so adamant against people protesting and boycotting Abrams' new Star Trek before they make at least one attempt to see the full film. At least give it a CHANCE before spewing hot molten hate upon it. A trailer, some pictures, and descriptions of a handful of clips do not an informed decision make. I can fully understand and accept hating the movie once you've seen it all the way through, because that is, at least, an informed opinion. Blind hatred based on so little evidence smacks of small-mindedness, no matter how you try to defend it. Giving this new film its chance to change stubborn minds and win over new fans isn't such an unreasonable thing to ask for.

This movie may be the make-or-break point for Star Trek. If fans and non-fans alike don't show at least minimal support for this movie, Star Trek in any form may see its twilight. Don't expect Paramount to fund any new cinematic or televised Trek-related ventures in the near future. After all, why put money into a venture that is no longer economically feasible? Watch for Trek-related merchandise to all but disappear. The books and comics may continue, but that's about all fans can hope for. After all, there are only so many re-releases of series or DVDs that can be done before there's just nothing left to remaster or add on. It's not going to be just the creative efforts of Abrams and his crew that will bring about either Trek's rebirth or its irreversible death; it will be the acceptance (or lack thereof) of its fanbase.

One last thing, and yes, it's a shameless plug, but it's on-topic, so I don't see the harm of adding it here. I've created a discussion group for people interested in the new movie. It'll be a safe haven from the narrow-minded hate of the Trek purists, a forum for those excited and hopeful that this movie will revitalize the Star Trek franchise. Here is the link, for all that are interested:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JJ_Abrams_Star_Trek/

I hope to see some of you there.

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh, God I can't wait for this movie.
    I'm guessing you can tell I just watched the trailer. I still can't completely describe how awesome it is, and how I'm now going to go watch it again and again.

Oh, and the Enterprise in action is gorgeous!

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

J.

3. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw: I totally missed that you were quoting yourself. I freely admit to seeing a flame and clicking "notify mod." I feel like a total newb

4. MisterPL

MisterPL Commander Red Shirt

I was waiting for that. Duly noted. ;)

5. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do you think this is the ship dropping out of warp and right into battle (or battle aftermath)?...If so, I say cool "drop out of warp" effect :techman:

[​IMG]

6. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Yes, a nice nod to 'The Cage' :)

7. mistabaka

mistabaka Ensign Newbie

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People have mentioned things like this (for other trailers) before now, but it just never seems to work for me. It just takes me to my library and a search of the itunes shop doesn't seem to show it:(

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

As for what I think of the trailer (having seen it on Apple), I generally like it:)

9. mistabaka

mistabaka Ensign Newbie

Go into the iTunes Store and on the left hand list "music, Movies, TV. Shows...etc..." Click "Movies" then scroll down to the bottom of the page on the left hand under the header of "More in Movies" click "Theatrical Trailers" Its listed in there under the "Newest Trailers"

10. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ta:)

It might be a UK I-Tunes thing:confused: (For me, it has All Rentals, All Films, Disney, Coming soon, Soundtrack and learn about rentals. Looked under each one, but nope)

Thanks for trying though:)

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    [​IMG]

KIRK:"Did...

Did I just see Doctor Who's face out there?!"

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It's definitely a bigger viewscreen than that dinky little thing they had on TOS.

13. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

indeed. I am reminded of these steam engine clubs that show off their collections at agricultural fairs around here.

14. cooleddie74

The new 1701 helm console looks like a hybrid of the styles of the earlier movie 1701 and 1701-A consoles and the Enterprise NX-01 console from the Archer era.

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

God, watching the trailer in higher quality makes this look even worse.

I'll still go and see it, and I'm not saying it will be shit, merely it looks shit (to me anyway)

16. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Which is exactly as it ought to be. ENT was trying to do the whole, "TOS if it was today" thing and failed utterly, this looks like it's got it spot on.

17. cooleddie74

Now people are whining about young/teen Kirk's antique car in the movie. "Well if he could drive a sportscar like a bat out of hell as a kid why couldn't he operate an automobile very well on Sigma Iotia II in the TOS mob episode?"

Sheeeesh. Cue the reboot assholes.

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

After repeatedly watching the trailer, I have gone from exuberant to angry! Not because of the trailer, I love it, but because I have. to wait. until freakin. MAY to see it! :mad:

;)

J.

19. cooleddie74

My fears about the movie are marginally lessened by the awesomeness of the new trailer.

20. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

My 80" projector screen is bigger than the one on TOS.