Black Panther animated trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Jul 28, 2008.

1. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sort of off topic (I apologise), but I just had to chime in on this because I think this viewpoint completely incorrect. In my view Black Americans understate to an extreme degree the cultural differences between themselves and their African cousins. There's such a wide, wide... wide gap in the two cultures it's not even funny. I think there's a certain feeling of kinship between both, but the truth is that they each have their own distinct cultures. The idea that the difference in cultures is analogous to those seen between Mexicans and Mexican Americans and Canadians and Americans is simply wrong.

Perhaps you have African friends that might have given you this impression, but if you really want to get a good idea of the extent of the cultural differences I encourage you to dig a little deeper.

2. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

dragunzng

I have several African friends for years on years and from different countries in Africa, and I can say based on my personal experiences the differences between us are no different than say me and someone black from Cali or NY. The core values, interests, morals, religion, political views, music, etc are exactly the same. Like I said it is no different than a Mexican American from an Mexican. Again that is my personal experience.

We have talked on this before, that there are exceptions to this, like I have met people from Africa that felt they were superior to me (I dislike the term African American) and I know there are people here that feel they are superior to people in Africa, but there are people in NY and Cali that feel the same way, so like I said there is no difference.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Africa is a huge continent of over 900 million people. There is by no means a shared culture throughout the continent, let alone between Africans and African-Americans. Throughout Africa you'll find wide differences in political views, religion, taste in food and music, etc.

4. Galactus

I wouldn't say that. They might not think exactly alike but there is a lot that is shared, just like there is a lot that is share in Europe, Asia, the Americas, etc. Didn't say they all thought alike but there is a lot in common. The way the world is becoming one economy with companies spread out across the world, we probably will all start thinking alike. I mean Al Gore, got Al Sharpton and Pat Robertson on the same couch trying to save the Earth!

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that Flash animation? I suppose they have to be budget conscious to get it on TV but that reminds me of old crudely animated movies we'd watch on film projectors in school. At least it doesn't have those stiff bland character models I've come to expect from Marvel.

6. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly tht's what I thought lookg at it too. It looks more like a web-series then something you'd see air on TV. I don't have any problem with the Black Panther and would have checked out the animated series, but I'm not too impressed with the style they're going for.

7. dragunzng

It's one thing to have friends from Africa that live in America, and another to live in Africa and actually see how the culture is vastly different from Black American culture. I'm a Nigerian that lived in Memphis until recently, I spent seven years there, I came to the conclusion that Black American culture and African culture have much less in common than Black Americans seem to think.

When I say "African" culture, this is a blanket term of course, in Nigeria alone there are over 120 ethnic groups each with their own separate cultures, traditions and beliefs. Black Americans and Africans do have a shared history, this is reflected in various aspects of Black American culture, mostly in music, I'm not saying there aren't ties, there are.

The way Africans act in social gatherings, how we talk to elders, our superstitions, methods of greeting, ideology, the fabric very fabric of an Africans everyday life is extremely different from that of the Black American. Our cultures have diverged a lot of the centuries.

Let me lay out just a few cultural differences, perhaps this'll give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

In many parts of West Africa you don't give items of any sort to anyone with your left hand, it's extremely rude and in many cases the person you're giving the item to won't even accept it.

Greeting an elder: In many parts of South Western Nigeria, a woman is expected to go down on both knees in a gesture of respect when greeting an older man or woman, similarly, a man is expected to lie flat on the ground, face to earth.

The naming ceremony: When a baby is born, a party is thrown and numerous relatives are invited, each relative gives the child their own special name. An assortment of foods with varying flavors, like pepper, salt, sugar, palm oil, etc, are laid out and the mother dips her finger in each food item, and then lets the baby suck on her finger to get a taste.

These are just a few examples of some of the more popular traditions native to one small part of Africa, these traditions create a culture that's pretty darn different from that which Black Americans have created over the past couple of hundred years.

A contemporary, educated African generally knows enough about American culture and Black American culture to fit in pretty well, culture is after all Americas biggest export. American movies, music, fashion etc, are all very popular in most of Africa. The reverse however is not usually the case, Africa is extremely culturally dense, drop your average well educated Black American in the middle of Lagos and I think he'd experience a far greater degree of culture shock than if you were to drop a similarly educated African in the middle of New York.

Do a large number of Africans enjoy Black American music? Yes. Are a large number of Africans liberal? Yes, but it's no wonder why. As far as core values and religion go... well, almost half of Nigerians are Islamic, Africa has a huge Catholic contingent, and in the bustling metropolitan city of Lagos its not uncommon to come across a pile of animal bones laid out as an offering to Sango... on the highway!

Basically I think our cultural differences far exceed the similarities. I should clarify that I don't believe this is a bad thing, I think it's important that Black Americans have forged a cultural identity for themselves that's uniquely their own.

I don't dislike the term African American, I simply think it isn't accurate any longer. As I've explained, Black Americans don't have very much in common with their African cousins, a unique culture has emerged and the term "African American", to me at least, does a disservice to the unique nature and strength of that culture.

8. Galactus

I have never been to Africa myself but the Americans I know that have said it was not that different especially depending on where you are from in the states. The Africans that I know that have moved here say that it is not very different beyond the type of things you mentioned, but again that is no different than say the difference between being from the Northeast and being from the South, especially a few years ago. The types of things you mentioned also would be the difference between a Mexican American and someone from Mexico. It is not a greater difference.

9. dragunzng

I suppose we'll just have to disagree on that particular point then.

With regards to this Black Panther mini-series... I think I'll be passing on it, as I said before the art's nice (despite the animation), but the dialogue seems awfully anachronistic. That said, I'd love to see BP on the big screen!

10. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

we all know that Hudlin will make a profit off this, but does anyone know what John Romita Jr.'s cut will be?

11. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Strange thing about that, though; When Malcolm X went to Nigeria in 1964, he was giving a lecture at a college, and he used the word 'Negro-American' in a speech he was making, only to be reprimanded by a representative of the student council for doing so; he was told the the term 'Negro' was derogatory,and that the name Afro-American was more dignified. So afterwards, he used the term African American or Afro-American to refer to black people.

Just a little historical perspective.....

12. Galactus

Do you think people would actually go out to see a Black Panther movie? I don't think they would especially if he is like he is in the comics.

13. grabmygoblin

I do, actually, especially if it ties into the building Avengers series.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm only vaguely familar with Black Panther from exposure to some Avengers comics and reading Peter Parker going to Wakanda to seek help from T'Challa during the Other story arc. The animation reminded me of Romitia Jr. as the Pyscho Pere stated in his original post. It seems interesting, might catch a few episodes. I remember there were long rumors of Wesley Snipes playing T'Challa in a Black Panther movie some years ago.

15. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It'd need good buzz and possibly a big star, but, sure, I think there'd be a market for it.

16. dragunzng

It's simply a personal opinion of mine, much like that of the student, I don't think it's a prevailing belief among Africans that the term is inaccurate or anything.

I think it would depend on how well the character was handled, I think it could be done, but if so, on a tight budget. Additionally, I'm not sure whether actually calling the movie "Black Panther" would be the most marketable decision!

17. Galactus

Yeah I am sure that alone will kill it with the majority of the movie going public. I have often wonder why they haven't changed it.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure what to make of that. Black Panther has never been more than a tertiary character for me. The art in the animation was well done but it felt very simple. I felt as if I was watching 300 channeled through an African filter. Also color me dissapointed I didn't see any actual title character, 8000BC version or modern.

19. grabmygoblin

studios keep making "Punisher" films, I don't see why they wouldn't make a "Black Panther" one.

20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read somewhere that Stan Lee, etc. had considered changing it. I know that at least one of the names they were floating before officially naming the character was Coal Tiger. But come on, Black Panther is a strong, powerful name, much better than Coal Tiger or probably just about anything else they could come up with. Besides, the character predated the Black Panther Party.

I don't think they should change the name. If they do that, why do the movie at all? Do you think people would be more inclined to watch it if they called it T'Challa? Or Last King of Wakanda? Coming to America Too? It will more than likely alienate BP's fanbase or general comic fans that might be inclined to watch the film because they'll be fearful or skeptical of what else was changed.

Keep the name, but market the hell out of it so that a lot of movie goers, who might be turned off by the name because they will associate it with the Black Panther Party or the New Black Panther Party, will get that it's a comic book movie.