Star Trek: Renegades

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Wow, did that ax really need to be ground?

Seriously, I don't know the story behind Renegades or the intentions behind it, stated or otherwise. But I do think that Loken is Absolutely Rightâ„¢ that the idea that someone is ever going to sell a studio like CBS on a show based on a fanfilm is next to zero. I know Hollywood well enough to know that if they REALLY like something, they'll find a way to buy it. However, the chances that a fanfilm will be that rare one in a million thing are infinitesimal.

That said, as is frequently the case, Loken's tone is the issue with his post moreso than the information being presented.

2. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

And a point of correction: Mr. David Gerrold directed the principal photography for the "Origins"/"The Protracted Man" shoot for Star Trek Phase II in the Summer of 2010. Mr. Vic Mignogna was cast as Cadet James T. Kirk's father Commander George Kirk--who figures prominently in the story. Actually, Vic (and Mr. Chris Hart) were pressed into service to direct a few pick-up shots for the episode later in the fall of that year.

3. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

This humble person's assessment as well. The assertion was credible, but the wrapping paper was a bit self-important and prickly.

On Renegades:

It looks like a really slick, atmospheric production and I'll happily give it a watch when it's released. But I'm skeptical about it based on the trailers I've seen because it seems tonally and content-wise to be closer to "Into Darkness" Trek than the Trek series/movies I love.

Still, I'll give it a chance and am impressed at the scope of the production. Good luck to them!

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I am not seeing the issue here, I think Doubleohfive was just being funny with his Garth statement, I don't sense any malicious intent. Keep in mind, that Alec and I are on the same team (he is credited as a Consulting Producer of STR after all) but even friends can argue viewpoints from time to time ;). I know Alec has connections to CBS and I respect his opinion. Bottom line is STR will be pitched, if rejected it will be a standalone film, that simple, no need to make anymore of it. In the end, we are doing this for the benefit of Star Trek fans and hope they like the final product.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  5. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

In fairness, I have edited my post and it constituted a message that was not quite as amusing as you see right now.

I typically don't like to edit/erase my posts after I've made them, but I was way out of line here and have removed the comments to avoid prolonging any conflict or thread derailment.

To all reading and posting in this thread, I offer my apologies.

6. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Hopefully it will be tighter than STOGAM, which in my opinion tried to pack in too much of everything. Don't get me wrong, STOGAM was fun to watch, but I think it could have been pared down quite a bit. Again, my opinion.

7. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

At some point you might try apologizing to ME since once again your attack was unwarranted.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

In your haste to make this point, did you miss the last sentence of the very post you quoted?

Very well then.

Loken, I'm not going to debate our previous interactions here. The fact is we have both been wrong in the past. Here, now, this thread today, my actions were wrong and I offer my sincerest apologies for that unwarranted attack today. It was uncalled for and it was unfair of me to use your posting here today to attack you. I've removed those attacks because in hindsight I see how wrong it was of me to post them to begin with and do not wish for this thread to be derailed further by more discussion or fixation upon it. Again, I am sorry for that action and will try not to attack you in such an unfair or unnecessary way again.

9. Loken

Apology accepted.

Alec

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Moving on...

11. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I look forward to the premiere of Renegades. The odds of it being picked up by CBS are sadly low, but it should be a great TV movie.

I recently discovered OGAM also. I know I'm a bit late. I really enjoyed it. It was nice seeing so many familiar faces again, and lots of references to TOS episodes (Charlie X, Gary Mitchell, the Guardian, Stonn, T'Pring, etc). It redeemed Harriman as well, from his less than stellar showing in 'Generations'. The parallels to the 2009 JJ movie were interesting, considering this came before that.

I'd be happy to make a donation to the Renegade Studios website, and get a copy of the OGAM DVD, I was just wondering if the disc was region free, as I'm in Australia.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it going to be picked up as an official TV movie then?

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing is known until its completed and pitched, right now we are just trying to get it completed.

BTW, Stogam DVD is region free.

14. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Thanks to all parties for being willing to listen to reason and take the high road when things threatened to go downhill. Everyone in that exchange has plenty of interesting things to contribute and I like hearing from all of them when they are in professional mode. Guys this place is stronger with you than without you and I hope you'll remember that.

As for the topic itself, I'm beginning to hope that this will be a well-produced, entertaining film. I see nothing wrong with pitching it to CBS. Why shouldn't we dream big? I can't see any harm in trying and if Tom and Co. are going in with eyes open more power to them.

15. curtiskoeppel

curtiskoeppel Ensign Newbie

I am curious why is cbs not interested in doing anymore star trek for television at all, be fan based series or jj abrams based or prime universe based. I mean with all the fan episodes in production, and the movies clearly generated some money you would think they would want to jump on the band wagon, but yet from everything I read here and elsewhere cbs says its not going to happen, anyone know why they are not interested?

16. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

They will be interested the minute they think they can make more money on that than on some other thing they could invest in.

17. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

This is true, but institutionally there is probably tremendous prejudcie against Sci-Fi on TV (it has always been thus) and everyone "knows" it doesn't work. It's sort of like the advertising "truism" that older people 55+ of age aren't worth advertising to. The original study that came up with that conclusion has since been debunked, but it lives on.

I also think there's an institutional arrogance at work, where the suits are not going to allow the great unwashed to tell them what people want to watch.

18. Loken

There WILL be Star Trek on TV again. CBS has said so. They have been taking pitches from every major group in Hollywood.

Orci / Kurtzman, Bryan Singer, Bad Robot, etc.....

19. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I'm hoping they'll work on something for the 50th, that would be nice - maybe a CBS TV Movie they can take to series a few months after. An animated show would suffice.

I wanted a serious Batman show for years and although it's a prequel GOTHAM enters production next month!

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ummm... you do know Gotham is based on the Smallville template, right? Not to knock SV which I loved, but it's firmly in light and fluffy territory.