Peter Jackson directing opportunity now "getting serious"

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Over-long, self-indulgent films in drastic need of editing?

In all seriousness, I'd love to see him direct Doctor Who. If they went to the trouble of shooting in NZ, it would be similar to the US shoot for series 6, so they'd make use of the location for several episodes and a broader arc. I wonder if Weta would be contracted?

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I almost wonder if the Christmas special might be able to be bumped up in budget and length and turned into an annual theatrical release. Christmas Day is already one of the biggest movie-going days of the year, and making it a theatrical release with a bigger budget and more flexible run time might attract some name directors like Jackson.

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Won't happen.

Doctor Who is a major part of BBC One's broadcast schedule on Christmas Day, plus no one goes to the cinema in the UK on Christmas Day, thus it won't happen.

4. Venardhi

Nothing says they can't have a shorter cut for broadcast as well.

5. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Of course not, but given it's a BBC production, cinemas are just not open on Christmas Day (as they shouldn't be) it will not happen.

6. Venardhi

Make it a BBC Worldwide production or a BBCA Coproduction. Problem solved.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Eh, it makes sense to have the 50 Anniversary in theaters. It makes far sense to make it a regular thing - especially not with the Christmas episode. Yes, Christmas is a busy time in theaters, but that should show you the kind of things Doctor Who would be up against in competition. A one time event in theaters is fun. If I'm spending my Christmas movie money, it's not going to be on Doctor Who. Also, I tend to avoid the theaters on Christmas day like the plague. First, I have other things to do. More importantly, the very fact that it's so busy means it's a nightmare to deal with parking, crowds, etc. If it's a one-day event like the anniversary, that means I'll be skipping it.

Just a bad idea all around.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even assuming such a thing were to happen (and I agree with the above saying it won't ever happen) why would it mean increased budget and length? Day of the Doctor didn't get either. And wouldn't having a special longer cut of the episode shown in theatres and not on TV be a violation of the license fee?

Even if another DW episode got theatrical treatment, all it would be is the exact same episode that airs on TV shown on a theatre screen with maybe a behind the scenes special and those Strax theatre etiquette things. And since UK theatres are apparently not opened on Christmas, that rules out any Christmas specials getting the treatment. Though I suspect that if another episode did get a theatrical screening, it'll probably be the next episode to be considered an event, like Capaldi's first episode.

9. Venardhi

Because when you pull in the kind of money that this thing did from a couple days of special screenings someone takes notice and wonders what one with a feature length and feature budget might be able to gross. If it is done as a BBCA or BBCW production I don't think it has the same limits on it as if it is a straight BBC one. Didn't the theaters have additional content anyways with the making of thing and the intro?

Perhaps Christmas isn't the one to do it, but since it is already an annual special it seemed a natural fit to me. Perhaps an Easter special, since it sounds like they're going back to a full fall season.

10. The Wormhole

And something similar is the only kind of added content any future theatrical screened episodes could have. And they would only be able to get screened on one or two days.

If someone wanted to try to cash in with a full feature length and feature budget production, then the only real option open is to fast-track that rumoured David Yates movie, which would presumably be separate enough from the TV show to avoid any murky ground with the license fees.

11. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems pretty clear that they going to try more theatrical releases like TDOTD. From all reports, the money it brought in really got their attention.

Of course, these would never regular things, but rather special events. Getting in a big name director like Peter Jackson, along with location shooting in NZ, would be a great vehicle for one.

Mr Awe

12. The Wormhole

Of course, what helped Day of the Doctor was the fact that next to nothing was spent on it. In order to replicate that success, they'll try to follow suit. Therefore, it'll be a regular episode on the theatre screen as opposed to something specifically crafted for theatres.

13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Who knows, maybe not. I wouldn't be so sure about anything at this point. The probability of co-funding has gone up I'm sure.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The fact that it was the 50th Anniversary with two doctors in it helped a lot. They have to realize that, for it to make sense, they'd have to replicate something on that scale, which isn't easy to do. Then they have to convince people that it's equally worth it to come out for a less special event.

If I can watch it on TV, I'm less inclined to see a non-anniversary special in theaters. It was fun because it's a special occasion. I'm not sure it's worth it all the time.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Certainly the Two Doctors and The Anniversary Special were a big part of it, but, I imagine just the 3D alone had it's own part in the attraction. But, yea, definitely can't expect the same results, especially if it becomes a regular thing

16. The Wormhole

Did anyone else read that in Tom Baker's voice?

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

But, of course. And read it spelled NOSE, also :devil: