Star Ship Polaris

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aridas sofia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The new guns are a huge improvement. Much better integrated into the whole of the design, though with those huge missiles up front the ship feels a bit smaller than I know it is even with that little man on top. Maybe three rows instead of two?

Gotta say I liked the contrast between the grimy metal and 'clay' in your last set of renders showing off the engines, really felt like the shell of a new ship built around an older one. The paneling obviously helps with scale, and I'm assuming you still have some tweaking to do with it, but there you have it.

2. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still tweaking some texture and material settings. Wanted to make sure they look right under accurate lighting conditions and with a proper background in place. These are still just WIP images, but they're pretty darn nice looking WIPs, if I do say so. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

And you're worried you would have a hard time getting a job to do this professionally...

4. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

And I say again ... :drool:

Once again, I have to thank you, sir, for providing me with new desktop wallpaper just when it was time for a change. :techman:

WIP or not, these are stunning.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm all out of superlatives. Finding this topic at the top of the forum is like a surprise birthday party every couple of days. :)

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, his bosses might actually expect him to finish his projects. :p

7. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Those images are quite stunning. Beautiful work!

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'm sure if he were paid to do this for 40 hours per week that would not be an issue. ;)

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, people underestimate the toll that making a living and living a life take on creativity. If we were getting paid for this we'd likely be hard at work on at least the sequel to a Polaris movie that would have been released last year. :lol:

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I would totally see that movie.

11. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

That's stunning. Beautiful work Vektor.

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Loving it. I love seeing the ship in context like this. I LOVE the lander.

My only quibble at the moment is the texture on the "fins", which continues in a radial fashion after the shape straightens out...it screams texture map that it doesn't follow the lines out there near the ends. That's my only issue. Otherwise...wow!

13. Vektor

Texture mapping is still rudimentary at best. I won't be doing anything much more sophisticated in that department until after the modeling work is essentially complete.

14. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

Beautiful work as always, Sir Vektor... *zoinks*

Although, on the first new image -- isn't the upper fin missing a connection to the rest of the ship? On my screen, it looks like it's just free-floating in formation above Polaris. (Had to nitpick such a gorgeous shot!!)

Cheers,
    -CM-

15. Vektor

These are still WIP images. Lots of parts and pieces and connecting structures are still left to be added.

16. Vektor

Rather than draw the entire ship from scratch in order to work out the detailing, I decided to switch gears and start from a 3D rendering, then add the detailing as a "paint over."

This is about 70-75% finished, I would say:

[​IMG]

I figured I would go ahead and post this and get some feedback on it before I go any further. I am now at that delicate stage where I am beginning to add details that I have had in mind all along, but everyone else has been looking at the simpler versions for so long that the refinements can be rather jarring. Fortunately, some of the early design sketches included a lot of these details, so it shouldn't be too bad.

A couple of specific notes:

1. I realize the name and emblem don't look very military, but I figure they were held over from the ship's former life as a civilian research vessel. Not yet shown is a cluster of ID codes and registry numbers on the bottom half of the disc. Dennis sent me a graphic for that some time back but I seem to have misplaced it. I'll probably need to have him send me another copy. Size and placement is still negotiable.

2. The color scheme is not final. I rather like the blues, grays and blacks but almost anything could still change. At one point we were considering more of a red or orange color for the stripe on the side of the main engine housing instead of black, in which case some adjustments to the overall color scheme would probably be in order. I've kept those markings separate in the Photoshop document so they can be adjusted at will.

3. The feature just in front of the lander module is a significant addition. This is a large airlock for EVA operations and is called for in at least one scene in the script. The EVA suits are more than mere space suits, more like small capsules with helmets and manipulator arms, and this is where they are launched and retrieved. The airlock is oriented in alignment with the ship's internal decks, so imagine stepping out on the lip of this thing like a ledge on the side of a tall building, with the lander module just below you and the weapons pylon looming over your head. Probably there are two of these, one on either side, though I'm still debating over making one of them a dedicated docking port or locating it elsewhere, perhaps in the mirrored position on the other side of the lander.

4. Two of the four landing struts are visible in this image, at the trailing edge of the main engine cowling and the tip of the upper tail fin. These extend out and downward, partially unfolding into stabilized landing pads for those rare occasions when the ship actually touches down on a planet's surface. The position of the drive sails is actually about where they would be in a landed configuration.

Comments?

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I want this to be a toy, and I want to play with it.

18. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Beautiful! I want a physical model. :)

19. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Magnificent! I just think it needs more color. Maybe Dennis' ID codes will provide some, but I think it could use some copper or gold surfaces. At least some red or yellow striping to balance out the cold-neutral tones.

I can't wait to see a picture of this baby standing upright on a planet's surface!

20. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i want this to be real, and to be captain. :bolian: