Infinite Crisis Lead-Ins

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Broccoli, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

^ He can't be the same character appearing in Secret Identity. That CK grows up, gets married, has kids, kids have powers, etc.

There is no way it can be the same character, unless we are thinking of different stories.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia (the site of all goodness and accuracy), Busiek was only inspired by Earth-Prime Superboy in his first appearance.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah okay...in Superman Infinite Crisis though it shows Clark watching his birthday and he mentions his girlfriend Laurie, it's been a while since I read Secret Identity but I seem to recall that his girlfriend's name was Laurie. Again I could be wrong...anyway it doesn't matter I only read that on another board so take it for what it's worth. I always thought it would be funny if Superboy Prime was really Smallville Clark Kent LOL. Now that is how I see the character, as an unrealized but still full of potential Superman that went wacko.

3. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I have all 4 Countdown tradess. The most compelling and relevant, as others pointed, is Omac Project. Vengeance focuses on magical beings in DCU (Eclipso takes over Jean Loring and wants to control the Specter.) RT War focuses on an interstellar conflict featuring on Hawkman, Adam Strange and alien key players. Villains Uniteds is also closely tied in, and related to events in Identity Crisis; bad guyshave found out about the JL use of mindwipe on crooks and form a supergroup headed by Luthor, or so it seems. Guy named Mockingbird leads a small team of baddies. That Catman is sooooo sexy...

4. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, neither character made their appearance before the Crisis (well, there actually was no Luthor Prime. Are you thinking of Alexander Luthor, Alex Luthor's father, the only hero on Earth-3? I can't find a record of his first appearance, unless it was in Crisis on Infinite Earths #1).

Superboy Prime made his debut in DC Comics Presents #87, which was dated November 1985. CoIE began in April 1985.

Sadly, Blue Beetle was canceled earlier this year at issue #36. It is now the second feature in Booster Gold.

And, I guess it depends on what you view as a title spun off from Infinite Crisis, as several titles were, such as Wonder Woman, Justice League of America, and a little later on, Justice Society of America. All three of those titles are still on-going.

Flash: Fasted Man Alive restarted similar to those titles, but after Bart's death, the numbering reverted to Wally's run. Either way, the title is now canceled, awaiting a new Flash #1, presumably with Barry, though nothing's been revealed yet.

As far as the new characters/teams launched in the wake of Infinite Crisis, yes, I do think they are all now canceled. Checkmate lasted 30 odd issues (though only the first 25, Rucka and later Rucka/Trautmann penned issues are worthwhile), Shadowpact ran for 25 issues, as did The All New Atom.

The other series, like Freedom Fighters and OMAC were mini-series.

5. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Villains United was a fun read, and the most interesting of the bunch for me.

Rann-Thanagar War is not very good. Evens so, it does serve as a spring board for some decent Adam Strange (and a rotating cast of space-based characters including Starman and Bizzarro) mini-series that followed.

6. shivkala

It was also preceded by an excellent mini-series, Adam Strange: Planet Heist. I remember I loved Andy Diggle's story and was immensely disappointed by Rann-Thanagar War. One of those cases where the set-up is so great, and the follow-through is not so great.

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, thanks. I guess I misremembered some of that, but that's cool. I should go back and re-read the original Crisis again as it marked an end of my DC reading days for a good long time afterward.

8. shivkala

Be warned though, I hold with Scipio of The Absorbascon, it did not age well...though I guess he argues it wasn't well written 20+ years ago, either.