The fate of Kai Opaka

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Mike Have-Not, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Mike Have-Not

Mike Have-Not Captain Captain

SF Bay Area, North American Continent, Earth, Sol
    The crew of DS9 never checked in on Kai Opaka, to see how she was faring on that prison/punishment planet (at least onscreen they never did).

Anyone know of any non-canon follow-ups (novels, comics, etc.) regarding the fate of Opaka?

Anyone have any speculations?

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Most definitely: see the excellent Jake Sisko novel, "Rising Son" by SD Perry, which is part of the DS9 Relaunch and leads into the hardcover novel, "Unity". However, "Rising Son" is also a good standalone SF story.

3. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I think it's one of the few big loose ends in DS9. It would have been great if the finale included her return to Bajor restoring order and stability to the position of Kai

4. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It wasn't that much of a loose end was it, I mean it was clear she could never leave

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

But would it not have been interesting to see if her work on that moon was successful? I for one would have liked to see a follow-up to "Battle Lines".

6. anti-matter

anti-matter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She realized it was her fate to be there and was grateful for the opportunity to serve... end of story.

7. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Rising Son does a pretty good job with this one.

8. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well you're right that it would have been nice to see a follow up to that show definetly. But yeah Rising son fixed that. But I wouldn't have mind if they had used the "O'Brian in prison" show for that instead, maybe it could have been one of their punishments or something

9. Wil has a posse

Wil has a posse Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always felt like the character of Opaka was done a disservice...but then I'm biased because I like Camille Saviola's performance so much.

Besides, without Opaka's departure we couldn't have had the drama of finding a new Kai, and all the crap that Winn stirred up.

10. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

It would be nice if there was only one episode with Opaka. Still, I just do not see that Kai Opaka was needed. True, she did give a counter weight to Kai Win as being the better Kai.

11. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

So I probably will never read the book. What was her resolution in "Rising Son"? You can tag it so those who want to read it don't get spoiled.

12. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

13. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An alien called an Ascendant crash landed on the Ennis moon where Opaka was living. Opaka and the Ennis nursed this alien back to health, and as a reward the Ascendant deactivated the satellite network around the moon, which in turn deactivated the nanites in their systems. They were free to leave. Opaka then travelled the Gamma Quadrant as a healer until bumping into Jake Sisko, which resulted in her return to Bajor. She has remained a lowly ranjen rather than reclaiming the Kai-hood.

14. Eminence

Eminence Fleet Captain

Who wants that job again anyway? I much prefer having the esteem without the responsibilities this time around! I did my part during the Occupation, thank you very much..

15. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

What the heck was
    Jake Sisko doing in the Gamma Quadrant?

16. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

What a dull life she lives

17. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

Now why didn't Sisko and Kra not think of doing this once they got into orbit, if it was easy to do in the first place?

18. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

What I think of Opaka

I do not care

19. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Jake found a Bajoran prophecy which he interpreted to mean that his father would return if he entered the wormhole. He was wrong----the prophecy referred to something else----but he did manage to get himself stranded in the Gamma Quadrant. I don't recall precisely what happened there. Eventually he ended up on a Serenity-like cargo ship called the Even Odds, and spent quite a bit of time with them before running into Opaka.

20. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Sounds good, might get it!