The original Star Trek Monthly available again

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by PaulSimpson, Jan 7, 2009.

1. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

Over the past couple of years, a number of people have asked whether it's possible to get hold of the UK-produced Titan Star Trek Monthly from the period before it launched in the States - i.e. from February 1995 up to August 2006. The interest has been such that at long last, I can report that these are shortly going to be made available in digital format.

A CD-ROM containing the first 24 issues will go on sale from early February - full details, including price in different territories, will be in issue 16 of Star Trek Magazine. The only editorial pages not to be reprinted are the comic strips that were cherry picked from DC's run (and maybe even Marvel's run at some point as well?) The discs run on all standard formats, and they're fully printable. Wikipedia has a run down of the contents of many of those issues at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Magazine although obviously their list isn't comprehensive.

At the same time, it's great to be able to officially announce that as from issue 16, Star Trek Magazine is increasing output to 8 issues a year (so one every six weeks or so). Issue 16 will hit newsstands mid-February, with 17 at the end of March.

Paul

2. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Excellent stuff all round!

Memory Alpha has full details of almost every issue at http://www.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star Trek Magazine, BTW Paul... I wrote those articles, so this release will be good for me, as I will be able to fill in the details on the issues I don't own!

The comic strips were from DC and Malibu, but you can get those with the Comic Book Collection anyway... ;)

3. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

That's great news Paul! I suppose that moving to 8 issues a year will mean my subscription will now come due earlier?

I'll certainly buy the CD-Roms. How many will it take to get all the issues released? And would Titan ever consider just doing a DVD-Rom of every issue on one DVD instead?

Kevin

4. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Great news on both counts.

5. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!

6. PaulSimpson

Simple math would indicate that it'll probably need 6 to get up to the start of the worldwide run, but like everything, it's dependent on sales as to whether that happens. I've pushed this project hard since reading the comments on here (and elsewhere) from people who feel they have missed out, so I really hope people follow through and buy it/them.

Paul

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, I definitely be keeping an eye out for it.

8. Madzilla

Madzilla Lieutenant Red Shirt

Brilliant! I'll be keeping an eye out for these. :) Thank you!

Are the magazines going to be coming out more regularly in the UK as well? How far behind are we? I've looked online but I'm not sure the dates I've been finding for UK release are accurate...

Of course, I could just get a subscription like I keep meaning to. :p

Mad

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The UK is behind? I thought you guys were on the same schedule as we were in the US.

10. PaulSimpson

The copies physically have to get from the US to the UK before they can go on sale hence the slight delay, which we're working to reduce as much as possible. Issue 15 (142? I lose track of the numbering for the different markets!) should hit British shelves very soon.

It's one reason why we don't try to compete for "recent news" with websites like Trek Today or TrekWeb. The stories we cover (for instance Majel Barrett's death) are ephemera on the net, and in print we can give good space to them.

Paul

11. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Out already in fact, I picked up on... monday I think. Really liked the mirror timeline.

12. PaulSimpson

OK, colour me officially impressed. I didn't think they'd be here before the weekend!

Paul

13. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Will the CD be available here in the states?

14. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm hoping mine will drop through the door in the next couple of days then

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh, I'd assumed that since it was coming out in the UK long before it was in the US, that that meant it was printed in the UK and shipped to the US.

16. PaulSimpson

Yep. You can order via the website or use the print form in the mag. When the mag's nearer to release, I'll put the relevant details up, but everything is geared around the new issue release date.

Er, just because it's put together in the UK doesn't mean it comes out here first... When there were different editions, they came out slightly different times, but now it's one universal one (yes, available on all planets not destroyed by David Mack), it's US first, UK & other territories as fast thereafter as we can get.

P

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I figured it would come out wherever it was printed first.

18. PaulSimpson

It does; it's printed in the US.

19. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Ah. Limited distribution.

20. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Well, that's gonna save an assload of shipping charges.