24: Live Another Day. Discussion Thread. (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, May 4, 2014.

1. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Also in this alternate universe the English only have police near Downing Street and let Americans run around town firing automatic weapons.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I prefer to place them in actual election years.

We see someone sit down in this episode and look at a dossier on Jack which gives his birthdate as February 18, 1966 making Jack 52 if the series currently takes place in 2018.

Some 24 "EU" stuff is referenced in this dossier which in of themselves connect to other "EU" things which all supports S1 taking place in 2000.

In S1 Kim was still in high school, a senior, and, IIRC, serving out a suspension.

This would make her currently 36 and Jack 34 in S1. Which means Jack was 16 when he fathered Kim which may open up some problems considering Jack's back story but, again, isn't impossible.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

At this point they should make William Devane a real president

He played JFK

He played the president in Stargate SG-1

He played the president in "The Dark Knight Rises"

He plays a president with Alzheimer

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  4. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So far its enjoyable.
    Whats Jacks Kill count?

And I think President Heller's son in-law is a douche.

Just means she wont last more than a few Hrs in this time line.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was an enjoyable first two episodes. Loved seeing Jack back and I like this new Chloe, which is pretty much the old Chloe. I will say though that much like 24 in the later seasons, the only storyline I'm interested in right now is anything having to do with Jack and Chloe, so hopefully they get a little more urgency with Heller and his condition.

It was also nice to get back up to speed with everything. It's been so long since I've seen an episode of 24 that I forgot about the two Russian diplomats.

Looking forward to seeing the plot develop.

6. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Watched it after I got in from my night shift....

Mostly enjoyed it a lot. The show is as silly as it ever was and yes, Jack and Chloe are still the only competent people on the good guys side, but it still had that utter conviction in its silliness that always made it such a tense watch.

Heller doing the Regan senility thing was a surprise, and effectively means we already know from the off how this latest President is going to be doomed.

Jack's silence for most of the first episode (my, Sutherland can glower) and precision planing of his escape were all perfectly done. I liked the subversion of the (well, my) expectation Jack would have been living on the streets alone for the last four years as well, he's actually got-dodgy-friends and tech support.

Also, the reveal he was there to rescue Chloe and then the double reveal he only did it for his own agenda rather than their friendship (as it's an amazing coincidence she would need rescuing from him the same day he needs her help in a complicated plot did Jack actually set her up to get caught in the first place? Or is that too dark, even for him?) were two genuinely surprising twists from a show that can often be quite predictable once you've twigged it was always try to have the least likely thing possible happen in any scene.

By that token, the skanky girlfriend being a trained assassin was really obvious right from the off and kind of dampened the second cliffhanger. The other main flaw was Kate's (and they've used that name before for one of his blonde female potential interests haven't they?) story arc looks like it's going to be exactly the same as Rene's from season 7. Though I will put a fiver on her turning out to be working for the Chinese after all right now.

I was mildly surprised it was set in consecutive hours as I thought they were going to skip every other one, I wonder when the time jumps will come (if they're planning to move the story to America at any point there's a good few hours flight there they can skip).

I wonder if "Head of station" and a character called Tanner were nods at Bond? Though in the case of the former I suppose as Fleming knew his stuff then MI6 could not only divide it's foreign offices up like that but the CIA (which he of course had a hand in helping to set up) might as well.

This could well wind up being the first season of 24 I watch on a week by week basis rather than a big DVD (or blu ray I should say these days) spurt.

All in all, what's not to love about Jack Bauer driving a knackered old Volvo about a run down council estate?

7. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps in the 24-verse the American auto industry managed to lobby for a huge bail-out and to celebrate that they were at a resort on San Gabriel Island reveling in their opulence with themselves and the lobbyist/firm that made it possible.

They were caught in fall-out radiation and died agnozing deaths.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, we're only in the first episode and we already have the petty agent who only cares about his job status. It took several episodes in season 4 before Lana Parrilla started whining about her pay raise during the middle of a terrorist attack. :lol:

9. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That poor drone pilot, if only more than one person at a time were involved with drone operations, but alas, the guy tagged in, the referee was looking the other way, and he got bashed in the face with a folding chair :(

And poor Chloe, accidentally clicking Autorun.exe. It's ok, she'll get her mojo back.

Anyway, was I the only one who thought Yvonne Strahovski was there as the recast Bauer daughter for a few minutes?. They called her "Kate" and I was like, oh yeah, "Kate Bauer, works at CTU or something for some reason had a really cool boyfriend that surely every viewer loved".

I really remember so little of the convoluted plot of this show over the years. We had a couple of black presidents that were brothers... uhhhh they might both be dead... or maybe one of them was dead. Uhhh, apparently Jack likes this Heller guy, but I kinda thought he was an asshole at some point... Maybe it was some of the other white presidents that were evil. I've kind of lost track of presidents at this point, I think maybe one was conspiring with Russian terrorists or something... and seems like a vice president was doing some shady shit with a private military contractor at some point. Also nuclear bombs and biothreats. Oh, and somebody hacked the nuke plants at some point. Or maybe that was Die Hard 4? Or maybe both? It's not just me right, without reading a synopsis of the previous seasons it's all just a jumble of nonsense in everyone's brains? Maybe it's still a jumble of nonsense if you read synopses as well.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

"He revoked your weekend pass so obviously you killed him with the drone."

The more things change, the more they stay the same on 24.

11. Trekker4747

You know, I don't think he's killed anyone yet. I got distracted there for a bit so I may have missed something.

12. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jack certainly has not lost his skills.

13. Trekker4747

Him sitting there in the interrogation room just stolid quiet, and cold outfitted with little bluetooth sensors was just pure Jack.

14. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When Jack was captured and surrounded by guys with guns at the start of the episode I said, "Jack's got them right where he wants them." :lol:

15. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amazing after all these seasons that the "new CTU" still misdirects all their resources at stopping Bauer when they should be helping him save the world. Don't they ever learn that Jack is always right? lol

16. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

He def killed some of the heroine dude's henchmen right?

17. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As soon as Eric told Jack he was great back in the day, I knew he was gonna get dropped in the next two minutes. Punk.

Five minutes into episode 1, Jack hasn't spoken a word, but has incapacitated half of East London. Standard.

Decent opener, can't wait for next week.

18. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I really enjoyed the first two episodes. I likes the CIA team and that Hellers days of effectiveness as President are numbered (or in this show, maybe that's hours :rommie:)

There's no doubt in my mind that they've given themselves a strong start here, I hope the build on it and keep it just as, if not more exciting. I also really hope that Jack and Chloe aren't back to normal with each other for quite some time. For me it's a great opportunity to bring their association full circle, since in season 3, he at one point wanted her fired from CTU.

19. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This 12 hour thing is going to be really limiting for the show though. Usually it's that back-half where they've totally written themselves into corners they can't get out of where the show goes full-retard.

20. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

Where is this base they are talking about? I first thought it was in Britain, but the chinese couldn't possibly complain about that. Did it have a Spanish name? An island somewhere?