What is NBC thinking????

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Keith1701, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Hell, Leno giggles at his own jokes all of the time. Which I suppose you're right it goes okay in these types of shows as opposed to skit-shows like SNL. But SNL didn't endear me much to him so, yeah, I'm not willing to give him too much respect.

2. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always liked Fallon, but his talents are much more on display when he's doing singing impressions of Jim Morrison or Neil Young. Granted, that's a tough thing to build a whole show around.

Leno is just a stiff. I have never found him funny. I am completely at a loss as to why he appeals to people. For my money, Craig Ferguson is the one currently hitting the late-night talk show ball out of the park.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's because he doesn't follow any lame scripts, he talks like he is friends with them because he is friends with a lot of them. Last night's show with Denis Leary was awesome.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not the way I recall it from reading "the War for Late Night."

IIRC, Conan had the option of bringing Lorne (who produced Late Night) with him as producer of the Tonight Show but went in a different direction. As a result, when the shit hit the fan over the ratings and Leno, he didn't have Lorne backing him up.

Fallon didn't make the same mistake.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The man you are describing is not Jimmy Fallon, it's Andy Dwyer from Parks & Recreation. It's Troy Barnes from Community. Jimmy Fallon attempts to be that, and comes off as forced, obnoxious and completely unnatural. He has this weird thing where he holds his head rigidly and then moves it spastically which he does for every character he plays while mugging awkwardly to the camera.

And did you see him on SNL? Justin Timberlake's impression of him was a better version of Fallon than Fallon, and then Fallon on the other side of the stage lost it so badly he had to duck behind the game show podium for about a ten second count.

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I fucking hated Fallon on SNL, and his first eight months or so on Late Night were really painful, because he was clearly having a very difficult time adjusting to the format, even worse than Kimmel (who was fucking terrible for a while). But for the last 18 months or so, he has been just killing it on Late Night. His material is solid, he's comfortable with it and the gimmicks he does have been great. Having the fucking Roots as his backing band helps, of course, but the complete turnaround Fallon has had is incredible.

Give him another shot. His show is a ton of fun, and a large part of it is because he's having fun on it, instead of having to play a character.

7. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny, I was going to post that clip. Though it may be the only time I've laughed at Fallon's show ever. (I thought his Breaking Bad skit was a total waste of time, for example)

Anyway, I'll check out an ep or two when Fallon transitions into the Tonight Show. The sad thing is if Conan had swallowed his pride and done a 12:05 Tonight Show, he'd probably be getting his timeslot back in September.

Though who knows, maybe he'd just get screwed in favor of Fallon. :lol:

8. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We talked about this at work yesterday. and It's always all about the money. NBC must think that Jimmy will bring in better money than Jay is currently doing.

9. Yoda

Well, I think the biggest factor there is Jimmy is going to be cheaper than Leno. He's not going to beat Jay's overall number, not a chance. The younger 'demo' where all the ad money is generated maybe they hope he beats Leno's numbers, maybe they don't. So I guess maybe there is potential there for him to run a more profitable show. But mostly I think they just don't see Jay as having any more mileage left to him. He's old. If Fallon really works out the problem is solved for a couple of decades potentially. Assuming network TV lasts that long.

10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, in the past they've been frightened of what might happen if Leno channel hopped to the opposition, but at this stage I think they just want to try and trim the fat and refresh things.

It does show how things have changed from 4 years ago though. When the idea of losing Leno was completely out-of-the-question for the NBC suits.

11. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Conan was absolutely terrible in the beginning. His first monologue on Late Night was a jumble of bad timing, tripping over words, and almost visible trembling. It's burned into my memory like one of those bad dreams you just can't shake.

But he got better. It took a while, but he got better.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Not even close. Not EVER.

I asked what they were thinking when they fired Conan, who was/is a breath of fresh air.

As I understand it, they brought back Leno in a panic move, gave him a ridiculous contract that made the show ridiculously expensive, and now they are cutting their losses by bringing in a host that doesn't have an albatross contract.

I really doesn't matter to me. I lost all respect for Jay Leno when he stabbed Johnny Carson in the back and stole the show from Letterman in the first place.

13. Yoda

Well, you don't have to rely on your recollections. You can view the full first episode right here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14of3i_late-night-with-conan-o-brien-first-episode-9-13-93_fun

I see a lot of what I like about Conan in that first episode. He's definitely a bit hyper and not quite settled into his own skin. The goofy hyper short laugh he does is a little distracting. But for a guy who hadn't really performed on stage before, I can't say it was bad.

And compared to fucking Leno... I mean, after reading "The War for Late Night" I really tried to give a random episode of his show a chance. The book makes an effort to explain the appeal of all the late night talk show hosts. "Oh, Leno's strength is his monologue. Leno crafts so many great jokes and shoots 'em rapid fire at the audience" Nope, a bunch of shitty jokes delivered as lamely as possible. In truth, I think most late night jokes are shitty, and it's all in the delivery. Then he went into a dreadfully unfunny bit where he dragged some woman out to show footage of people in a fake photo booth where she was doing a voice pretending to be some kind of photo booth computer, and taping the reactions to the things she said. Gave up halfway through it. Triumph the Insult Comic Dog it ain't.

14. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't believe I've watched the Tonight Show since before Johnny Carson left.

15. Keith1701

I do miss Johnny Carson, but Jay Leno has won his time shot over the years. I just hope that NBC is making the right decision. I guess we will see in February 2014!!!

16. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

He was supposed to leave a while ago, but he decided to stay, destroying Conan O' Brien's being on network TV. Sauce for the goose.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

You'd think four or five years would have humanized him.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/01/26/jay-leno-60-minutes-interview/

Nope. Better watch out Jimmy.

All it takes is one tiny suggestion by an NBC hire up

"Hey Jay do you want to come back?"

"Yeah. Sure"

18. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think so, not this time. Although I could be wrong, I think Jimmy's ratings will be better than Jay's overall, and I think especially so in the younger demographics. If this happes there is no way NBC would want Jay back. Hell, even if Jimmy's rating are the equal of Jay's, I don't think they'll ever have the little weasle back.

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

There have been some great stories this week about Jay. One of them on how much he hates Jimmy Kimmel and says how unfunny he is and how he doesn't think "Fuck Jay" is funny and WAAAAAHHHHHHH.

Fuck Jay is funnier than anything Jay has done in 20 years.

Then there is the awesome Full House reunion...

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...-jimmy-fallon-to-sleep-on-late-night-20140130

"You're going to be the host of The Tonight Show and no one can ever take that away from you."

"Well besides Jay Leno."

20. Keith1701

I still think NBC is making a hell of mistake of taking off Jay Leno when he is still winning his time slot.