Game of Thrones 3.8 - "Second Sons" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 19, 2013.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

38.5%
  2. Above average

53.8%
  3. Average

7.7%
  4. Below average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

That's what I was thinking. It's like, presence of mind, Sam. Presence of mind...

Mmm, I'm thinking it would only be fair if he had his tongue ripped out first. Let him live with that for a little while, then give him the crossbow in the legs, and finally a humiliating beheadding after threatening to sneak into his bedchamber and rape him.

2. Matthias

Matthias Lieutenant Red Shirt

When Mr. Sadist is done with Theon they can ship Joffrey up there. Should be fun. :devil:

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Works for me. The thought makes me cringe, but in Joffrey's case some form of anal penetration could be in order, preferably something hefty...with splinters.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I voted Above Average. It was interesting how the title came from the mercenary band but actually did centre on various second sons - Thannis and Tyrion (Sam was a firstborn but secondary in his father's affections.

Nice to see Ferdie from This Life (Ramon Tikarin) in there in the Second Sons, even if he was short-lived. I must admit that the cockney accents there threw me - I always imagined them being Arabic or Asian. The pay-off with the severed heads was great though.

The use of Gendry instead of Edric Stone is quite intriguing and could go somewhere (arguably, Gendry is getting a better storyline here than in the books), while Stephen Dillane and Liam Cunningham as Stannis and Davos work really well together.

The wedding was a hoot, as expected and I'm not sure what was my fave scene - Cersei v Margarey, Cersei v Loras or Tyrion v Joffrey. Actually, scratch that, it has to be TvJ (as always) but it was a close-fought thing. Meanwhile, it's clear that Arya and the Hound are going to be a great double act.

5. Spock/Uhura Fan

That's what I'm talking about. But, then who takes care of Mr. Sadist when he's done? He's far worse than Joffrey. Hmm, they should have that fallen Maester do experiments on him for a long, long time. I know he's loyal to house Bolton now, but he seemed to be more interested in his "curiosity."

I'm usually for life imprisonment, but sometimes I truly think the punishment should be the crime.

Yeah, poor Gendry. I was just happy she didn't kill him (yet?). I hope he escapes or something. When Arya becomes a faceless woman, I think that's when her story is really going to pick up.

I really like Cersei vs. Margaery, and I think Margaery's going to win that battle eventually with her grandmother's help. I also love how Tyrion is the only one that tells Joffrey off, and he manages to get away with it. :)

6. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Joffrey tortured and killed an 'innocent' woman with a crossbow just because he could.

I'd say they're on about equal footing.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted excellent. The Tyrion/Sansa wedding was a great sequence, especially Tyrion threatening Joffrey. Sam killing the white walker was another highlight. So far Daario is more likable than he was in the books, and Dany's nudity here, where she's still regal and in command, was a nice juxtaposition to her nudity where she's about to take a bath in the very first episode, which highlighted her vulnerability.

8. Matthias

Matthias Lieutenant Red Shirt

If I remember correctly that innocent woman beat her colleague to death. Of course Joffrey told her to do so, but still...

Not so sure about that fallen maester. He's traveling to Kings Landing with Jamie, right? So Joffrey and fallen maester may eventually meet and exchange some tips :confused: Poor Sansa et al. when they decide to get some hands-on experience.

9. Spock/Uhura Fan

Joffrey is really bad, but he's not Ramsey. He doesn't drag out the pain/torture for long periods of time, at least not as long as Ramsey to my knowledge. Ramsey skins people alive, and bit by bit, then chops off pieces one at a time. He's doing that to Theon in addition to starving him, psychologically torturing/brainwashing him, and making him live in his own filth.

Joffrey's evil, but he gets it over with, not because he's a better person, just because he bores quickly and wants to move on to the next thing (like a 5yr. old with a box of toys). So even though he's just as evil as Ramsey, he's not as bad. Very bad, just not quite as bad.

I hadn't thought about that. Good point.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yet. He's a child, if he lives as long as Ramsay he will end up equally as bad.

11. teacake

UGH I planned my eating around GoT and it's not until next week now!

:(

12. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

Jofrey would had killed her if she did not do it.

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

Maybe so. He's not that much younger than Ramsey, and I still think his personality is different. I don't think he'll ever have the attention span to do what Ramsey does. He might allow other people like Ramsey to have their way, though.

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Just watched this last night, since I was away when it aired. Pretty good again - I notice the Hound has remembered he's not supposed to be Scottish...

Love Daario's line "my sword is yours, my life is yours, my heart is yours."

Joffrey's still really got it coming, but there was too little Tywin this week!

15. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

He's been tormenting Sansa since he gained the throne.

The only reason he's so restrained is because he's still scared of the people at large finding out how sick he is. He is still a kid. Once he grows a pair, he'll be as bad, if not worse, than Samwise 2.0. (Sorry, he's stuck with that name in my head just due to the physical similarities.)

16. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I really don't care for the changes they made to the Tyrion/Sansa wedding in this episode (apart from obvious production realities ones), but I've gotten used to the writers being unwilling to have Tyrion do anything remotely unheroic.

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been a while since I read the book, but with the exception of Sansa kneeling I can't think of any significant changes from the book. How was Tyrion unheroic in the books during the wedding?

18. teacake

I'm very interested to see what they do with some of Tyrion's book choices in the future in regards to this.

19. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

1. Tyrion did not really object to marrying Sansa in the book. He was eager to be Lord of Winterfell, and hoped that he could make Sansa love him. Tywin did not order him to do it. He made an offer, and said that if Tyrion didn't want to he'd get somebody else.
    2. On the wedding night, he had her strip naked and groped her before deciding not to go through with it (that part, obviously, was obviously never going to be filmed because of the actress' age, if nothing else).
    3. Tyrion did not tell Sansa in advance in the books about the wedding. He allowed her to find out ten minutes before. The show changed that, as with all the other changes, to make Tyrion look sensitive and caring, and to play down Sansa's horror.