Anybody else pickup the TNG Blu-ray Movie Pack?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Drizzt, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Well, that's a good thing. ^^

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: Enterprise on Blu-ray

I found the online URL and posted it in the Star Trek: Enterprise seasons Blu-ray spec. features wishlist thread to continue that discussion.

3. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow thats pretty cool!

4. wekkuli

wekkuli Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Re: Enterprise on Blu-ray

To me, it's great to see all the smallest details of the production.

However, the ships and some sets can look more like "toys" now, but I'm ok with it. :lol:

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Stuart Baird has said he wouldn't want that to happen.

6. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well...and please note I really, really prefer to be diplomatic rather than blunt...Stuart Baird is an idiot.

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Let's not forget John Logan. It's true Stuart Baird's direction left a lot to be desired, but more than anything what killed Nemesis for me was Logan's godawful script. Baird badly directed a script that was already bad to begin with.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's true that Logan's script has a lot of problems, most of which were apparent to me upon reading it. But Baird's direction definitely made a bad script worse. That's probably the difference between Nemesis and Insurrection.

9. jefferiestubes8

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Re: Trekweb review

The same trailers for Abrams' movie were in front of all six Blu-Rays of the movies with Kirk and co. No surprise there. Am I missing something?

11. jefferiestubes8

Highdef digest reviews Generations:

SOUND:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2749/startrekgenerations.html

12. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Those quotes are totally out of context.

The quote about the audio is ENTIRELY referring to the ORIGINAL 1994 mix and has nothing to do with any tampering/changes made for the Blu-ray.

In other words in the early days of 5.1 sound, movie mixers 'showed off' with their new toy/technology.

So in the audio portion the Blu-ray if exactly faithful to the 1994 mix.

The video portion gets 3.5 stars and most of the movie looks really good according to the review, but at the end it looks like they applied some DNR to the scenes with Shatner (wanting to hide his age in those bright outdoor scenes perhaps?)

So in one of the quotes they are saying they faithfully followed the original (and folks might think it was something done wrong at the Blu-ray level) and the other is an out of context portion of the video review that implies the picture is not as good as it is.

Very few movies (especially from 1994) have a perfect transfer from start of movie to finish.
    Click on the link and read the entire review.

13. jefferiestubes8

Let's talk about the sound mix of Generations. Grant I did misquote by not including the entire paragraph and that may have led to some confusion.
    from the above HighDef digest link.

This is what I have a problem with:
    5.1 channels instead of 7.1 channels but would that be the initial Laserdisc mix or the 1998 DVD 5.1 remix that carried over to the DVD SCE & Blu-ray?

I was referring in an earlier post
    to this other review that compares Generations mix to the other TNG film mixes
    and how this seems to be a debatable point comparing surround sound mixing styles from 1994 and films from 1996-2002.

From DVDTown's review of the original DVD release of Generations in 1998:
    Jeff Kleist of The Digital Bits mentions in his review of Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection on Blu-ray
    Bill Hunt mentions in his 2004 review of
    Star Trek: Generations SCE DVD

So by remixing Star Trek: Generations to 5.1 surround sound for the 1998 DVD & all subsequent home theater video releases they made it a heavily center mix instead of a spread out surround mix that WAS what the original mix and intentions of the director David Carson and the sound re-recording mixer Mark Smith had.

14. Grant

^^^

Thanks for making that very simple.

By the way, Digitalbits gives the Generations Blu-ray audio rating an 18.5 out of 20-----for a 15 year old movie.

So is that what are you trying to say?----that the Generations Blu-ray audio is excellent---which is what Digitalbits review says.

Here is the FULL Digitalbits quote about the Generations Blu-ray audio............

no one should have any issue with the 5.1 Dolby TrueHD tracks present on each disc here. There's a consistency that just isn't heard in most of the previous movies on Blu-ray, thanks to these newer films having been mixed in 5.1 from the start. Star Trek: Generations' DTS laserdisc soundtrack was an early favorite among home theater enthusiasts, because of its dynamic sound design. That should carry over here: The saucer crash, Borg booms and battles bristle with split and panning rear channels. Combined with the fantastic scores all of these films carry, this is avery, very good surround sound experience.

Any reason you omitted the first part of the paragraph?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  15. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Trekweb review

Actually, the trailers in the first six films were the first trailer. The TNG films have the third and final trailer.

All of these will no doubt be on the Star Trek 09 DVD & Blu-Ray next month anyway.

16. jefferiestubes8

No we should discuss the mix itself not the technical sound quality.
    Sound is very subjective. It's not good or bad unless there is a technical problem.
    My post was not simple as this debatable topic doesn't even have a consensus among reviewers of the previous DVDs which I gave some examples to show.

Surround sound for both cinema and the home theater (DVD/Blu-ray) has gotten more what the film industry calls "aggressive" meaning that the rear speakers are used more.
    In 1994 a feature film was more 'front-heavy' [Left,Center,Right] in the 5.1 mix.
    dvdfile.com's review of the Blu-ray TNG movie pack
    really goes against what all these other reviewers are saying about the DVDs and that's where I wonder if when the 5.1 mix is the same mix from the DVDs...

17. Grant

So wait let me get this straight.........

In this thread (about the Blu-ray set) we should be talking about the mix itself NOT about the the Blu-ray audio quality? :lol:

Wow, talk about a convoluted agenda.

First you post all these misleading quotes about what folks are likely to think is the blu-ray quality and when it's pointed out the the reviews (especially on audio qualtiy have been pretty darn good) we are now told we should be discussing the original mix.

You seem to be suggesting that they altered the original theatrical audio mix to pump it up for home video----

But that is NOT what the review in HIdefdigest said.
    He said that theatrically Generations was one of the first movies to have Dolby Digital 5.1 IN THE THEATER.

All movies are tweked a little bit in the trasition from movie print to DVD or Blu-ray.

So now you want to bash the Blu-rays for not being exactly the same as the original theatrical experience?

Well Trek 1-6 didn't have any kind of 5.1 surround---they had simple 'Dolby Surround'

But they have been given a 7.1 surround mix for Blu-ray.

How about we stick to the subject of the Blu-ray release and if you have a gripe about how audio mixes are changed from theatrical to home video you start a thread on that.

Wait, I have a better idea---you post another half dozen confusing out of context quotes so people don't understand what the hell you are saying, but think you are a huge expert.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  18. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

I already got TNG movie collection on blu ray. I bought it the sametime as I bought TOS season 2 on blu ray last month. The first movie I watched from TNG blu ray collection was First Contact. I thought it was quite big difference from dvd. I have TOS movie collection on blu ray as well. I'm planing on getting Star Trek XI on blu ray when it comes out.

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I just got the set today from Amazon.com (got it for 35% off! yeah!). The first movie I popped into the BluRay player was First Contact. Wow, it's like an entirely different movie. The colors are vibrant and rich, the images crisp and clean, the audio is fantastic. The quality is, bar none, exceptional. I will be watching all of these today. :D

J.

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I love his First Contact commentary. He sounds either totally crazy or kinda drunk throughout the whole thing. I especially love his comments about the stuntmen in the scene where Captain Picard explains their plan to attack the Borg hub in engineering. I wonder if, in 20 years time, Frakes will replace Shatner as Star Trek's crazy uncle.:guffaw:

What I realized from the Braga/Moore commentary on Generations is that I seem to be far more forgiving of the film than they are. They both seem to look on this piece of past work they did as a tragic misfire. I think it has some awkward visual problems and needed more Captain Kirk in it but I think the end result is decent. (Maybe it helps that I have such fond memories of seeing this movie on opening night on my 12th birthday.) I love their story about how Leonard Nimoy reacted when Rick Berman asked him to direct.

This is how all commentary tracks should be done. Braga & Moore have clearly gained a lot of perspective (perhaps even too much) on the film after 10 years. Bonus features always benefit when there's that added gap of time to reflect on the process.

I hate it when that kind of thing happens. On the front of the new release of The Wrath of Khan, the photo of Admiral Kirk is from The Search for Spock. You can tell because Admiral Kirk is wearing the shirt from the scene where he & Sarek review the flight recorder footage of Spock's death.

Anything with Nicholas Meyer is always a joy. His commentary track on The Wrath of Khan is less a commentary track and more a 2 hour art theory lecture.

In other words, Paramount should keep charging their normal
    Star Trek prices.

I kinda agree. I'm actually glad that I have such a crappy TV. I'm convinced it's hiding all manner of FX sins with its poor resolution. I'd hate to see what Blu-Ray would do with the obvious matte boxes on The Terminator for example.

I don't think it's that he's an idiot. I think he just didn't give a shit about the story he was directing. I also don't think he's a very dynamic, extroverted personality, which is why his commentary track was so lame.