Steam and GOG.com Summer Sales

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Owain Taggart, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't picked up anything yet from Steam. In fact, I'm finding some of the deals rather expensive. Haven't found anything that's appealed to me just yet.

On GOG.com which is also having its own summer sale, I did pick up Jade Empire and Consortium for a paltry sum, both at 80% off.

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I picked up XCOM:EU for a fiver. I've only played the tutorial so far, but I've heard good things.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'm keeping an eye on them both, but I plan on being very choosy given that I have a handful of games from the last sale (and the one before that I think) that I've yet to play. Plus, it seems as though the Steam sales aren't quite as good as they used to be. :/

4. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Well, they had a lot of early acces stuff on sale last winter sale, and that might have been a bad decision...

5. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I picked up XCOM as well :)

6. Owain Taggart

Yeah, agreed. The deals definitely don't seem to be as great. It's not the selection, mind you, as I could think of a number of titles I'd want, but rather the prices. I think that some of those sale prices are more along the lines of regular sales rather than summer sale deals. Not exactly fuel for impulse purchases.

7. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Can you guys recommend me some games to watch for on Steam?

I like games that can be played for a long time. I'm talking a couple of months to a year or two. This can be either be due to the game having lots of things to do (Ultima, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Minecraft, MMOs in general) or because there's lots of replayability (Civilization, SimCity, GalCiv, Age of Wonders, Age of Empires). In terms of genre, I'm happy with fantasy and scifi settings but not horror. It can be RPG, strategy or simulation games. FPS games are okay although I tend not to prefer twitch games that involve fast thinking and quick action.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Get Dark Souls 2 and Distant Worlds.

9. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't really have anything I'm after. Though I said that last year and I got half a dozen games in the summer and winter sales.

Even though it was just released I'm hoping Tropico 5 might sneak into a flash sale. If not I'll probably just get it at the end at 25% off.

Have a couple of games on my wishlist that are in early access that I'm holding off until later in their development, but I won't say no to a good deal if it comes up.

10. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I bough the entire wing commander series, and even today they hold up very well, great to be able to play these again, i wish the GOG team could get their hands on all the old Star Trek games.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

TWD S2 :techman:

12. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^I'm being patient and waiting until it's entirely out and hopefully then 75% off. I really don't want to have to wait months in between episodes.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The Witcher 2 is a *very* substantial RPG and will be on sale at 80% off for the next three hours. As is X-COM: Enemy Unknown, a fantastic turn based strategy game with lots or re-playability (especially with the 'Enemy Within' expansion.) If you're into Minecraft type games then Terraria and Starbound might be worth keeping an eye on.

That's what I said when it first came out...then it got 50% off in the X-Mas sale and I caved! :p
    I'm sticking to my guns for 'Wolf Among Us' though. That I can wait for.

14. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The Steam site seems to be totally boned right now. Can't buy, can't sell, can't get help. Perfect time for that to happen, Valve...

15. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For those who are fans of the original XCOM, Xenonauts finally got released recently. It is apparently far truer to the original XCOM than the recent Enemy Unknown.

It was very recently released so it might not make the sale, but it can't hurt to throw it on your wishlist just in case.

16. Owain Taggart

I just jumped on Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition for $7.49 on Steam. Interestingly, I've never played it the first time around when it first came out, so this is a great chance. Only thing is, now my backlog is worse... :lol:

17. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was about to purchase Papers, Please for €2.69 on Steam, but then I found out that it's a daily deal on the Humble Store for €2.49. Saved myself 20c! :lol:

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I got my copy for a similar price in a sale about 4 years ago. *Very* good value for money. Easily a 100+ hour game.
    Plenty of really good mods available too, with everything from texture enhancements to alterations to the look of Merrill, Isabella, Marethari & Flemeth to bring them in line with their appearance in DA2 s well as some alt appearances & armour drawn from the Sacred Ashes trailer & concept art. My personal favourite though is the one that add the DA2 Grey Warden armours & weapons.

That said, first time through I'd keep things vanilla. ;)

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I picked up Stronghold HD for $3! :D

20. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I can't even remember what the original faces in DA looked like. I just remember that they were fugly. I love that both Dragon Age and the Mass Effect games gain so much from graphics mods.

Oh, Steam Summer Sale... I've bought a couple of games so far. Finally decided to get Fallout 3 and figured I'd give Sleepings Dogs a try. I've always kinda hated the chav macho GTA setting so Hong Kong makes a nice difference.