Generations 2 / First Contact trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by los2188, Oct 3, 2012.

1. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Lots of scenes from Generations and the series, nothing new.

Regardless if the movie might have been called Generations II or not, that looks like a fan-made thing to me.

3. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Probably an early teaser of some sort for what ended up as First Contact. Likely before any filming had been done. The first teaser trailer for First Contact (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJQK12BnK0) for example was done before any special effects had been completed.

4. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

I seriously doubt this is a fan made trailer. The voice in this trailer is the late Don LaFontaine. He's probably the most famous movie trailer voice in the States if not the world. Getting him to be the voice of a fan made trailer is highly unlikely. I think this was made after the Generations release and given to possible investors for the very next movie which we all know to be First Contact.

5. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I remember seeing this teaser trailer on a promo VHS for First Contact back in 96. I got the video free from my local Woolworths by collecting a voucher from The Sun newspaper. There was a 10-15 minute making-of documentary on there hosted by Jonathon Ross, and then there was the trailer, which I remember feeling distinctly underwhelmed by! I didn't realise it was just a teaser, I was only 11 or 12.

I'm sure I remember that on the clapperboards used during production (or at least on the VHS I had), the film was titled 'Star Trek Generations 2.' Since then I've read it was a possible title, alongside 'Renaissance,' 'Resurrection,' and even 'Borg,' until 'First Contact' was finally settled on.

I (or think I do anyway) remember all of this because 96 was when I first majorly got into Trek, and I just gobbled up anything I could get my mitts on. The potential titles are from the TNG Companion.

EDIT - Here's a link to the video on eBay. The price this person wans makes me kinda wish I hadn't given my old copy to the charity shop! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jonathan-...-CONTACT-Rare-1996-UK-Promo-VHS-/221097348528

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The extended warp-jump with a the horizontal warp poof (to use the technical term:p) at the end is interesting.

I vaguely remember another early FC trailer, which had scenes from the movie but no FX had been done yet, so clips from TNG and Voyager were used instead. One of the clips stands out in my head, of Voyager firing at a Borg cube, because it was never used on the show.

7. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is legit, not fan-made. It was a very early teaser trailer I distinctly remember watching.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I don't think that's Don LaFontaine doing the voiceover. His voice in trailers always had a bit more of a sharp edge to it than this guy.

And I'm in agreement with the rest here - this is obviously a very early teaser trailer for the film, likely done up as a sizzle reel or early promo to get people jazzed about the project.

9. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

It's an internal thing. No teaser trailer would ever boast about the opening weekend box office.

Neil

10. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I too had a copy of the VHS video ftom Woolies with that teaser... in fact I've probably still got it stashed away somewhere... eBay, here I come! :D

11. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Never saw this one. Great find!

12. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC, this trailer was a marketing effort created by Paramount for internal use only and was never meant to be shown to the public. Filming on the next movie hadn't even started, hence the recycled footage from GEN, the TNG series and random other f/x shots from other films.

13. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry but that sucked.
    it was nothing but a Clip show.
    and everyone bitches about those.

14. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Oh yeah, it's definitely a terrible trailer. I think that's why some people mistook it as a fan-made one.