Buffy TVS to be (ugh) Rebooted

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

That's pretty much what the Pinewood Aliens crew thought about Big Jim.

But Whedon doesn't own the property, so if anyone, you should criticize the property's owners, because if this gal passed on it, they'd just find another unknown, so there'd still be the project and she wouldn't have a job: lose-lose, according to your own reasoning.

Besides, why dontcha respect property rights? You a Bolshevik or something? :p

2. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

Careful, you can get stoned for saying things like that around here lol

dJE

3. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In my mind, one would have to be stoned first, before saying something like that...

Seriously, this is just a Bad Idea from the Hollywood that thrives on Bad Ideas.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kazulis sounds better though :)

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ So good you said it twice.

6. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

This. It amazes me how many people choose to ignore the facts. Whedon doesn't own Buffy. He sold her and was paid in real cashy money. Period. End of story. If the perpetual integrity of Whedon's creative vision was so bloody important to him he'd have retained ownership. It was certainly within his right at the time. He could have self-produced. But he took the money instead. There's no reason at all why he should be consulted now, even though he was consulted by the producers, and he turned them down. Not interested, he said. So what's with all the fannish "poor Joss" weeping and whining that Buffy's been stolen from him?

7. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I didn't say he "owned" it, I said he created it. But I can't really argue with the point that he sold it out by taking money to let someone else own the property. It's just a shame and you are all correct...if this debacle actually gets made, Joss is partially responsible since he sold the property. As I was telling a friend of mine today, it's about the same situation as the Terminator franchise. I don't think a Terminator movie should be made without James Cameron, but he sold the rights and that's what happened. The results prove what a bad idea that was, but it didn't stop Hollywood.

It's a tough choice. I want to say the creators should be more protective of their work, but if they sell rights early in their career when they haven't had much success yet, you can't really blame them. I'm just surprised Hollywood keeps making stuff without them despite the track record of such projects. I heard Richard Kelly sold the rights to "Donnie Darko" and the result was a craptacular direct-to-DVD sequel. This just keeps happening. I wish someone would make it stop.

8. Admiral_Young

I don't think anyone is taking the view point of "Poor Joss" in fact I'm pretty sure we had a couple pages full of discussion pertaining to the status of the rights. The thing is that even though he doesn't own the rights, Joss is still the creator of the franchise and more important than that he is still using the characters that he created. Now the right's holders (so I refrain from misspelling their name again) are well within their rights of doing whatever they want with the MOVIE franchise which they obviously are. It's just weird and a lot of fans feel unnecessary. The first film was considered a flop, this one we'll see. As pointed out several times before there seems to be a general consensus among Buffy fans that there will be an attempt to "Twilight" Buffy since this seems like a natural opportunity to cash in on the success of vampire movies. I don't think that is a wrong mentality to have either. I don't think any of us have been ignorant of the facts.

9. Dark Gilligan

Agreed. Considering that--by Whedon's own pen--Buffy and Angel can now fly, had sex in outer space, and gave birth to a new universe; Willow has been stripped of her magic; Giles is dead; and Spike is the captain of an alien ship crewed by giant bugs, retooling Buffy in a "Twilight" mode might not be a bad idea.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  10. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Would've been polite of you to spoiler tag that.

11. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Good luck with that.

I have abandoned my crusade of trying to correct "could of", "should of" and "would of". It's "could HAVE", "should HAVE" and "would HAVE."

Not to mention the rage-inducing "could care less".

12. Dark Gilligan

(Re: PsychoPere) I figured if anybody hadn't already seen it with their own eyes they'd never believe it. Really, it throws the whole "integrity of Joss' creation" out the window, doesn't it. And the dude wrote it himself.

13. PsychoPere

Hah, all fair points, indeed.

As someone who is slowly working his way through the collected editions, I certainly would've appreciated some warning before running right into spoilers unrelated to the thread topic.

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

That's putting it mildly, though the spoilers did seem full of fail. :p

15. PsychoPere

I'm trying to (somewhat) temper my hot-headed ways. ;)

(Though, yes, I have to agree with the "full of fail" sentiment as well.)

EDIT: After reading DevilEyes's post below, I'd rescind the above statement in parantheses. Out of context, some of those spoilers do sound... odd, but DE brings up a good point that most of Buffy and Angel, when summarized in a similar manner, could sound way out-there. It's all in the execution.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  16. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The plot of S8 is over-the-top and insane. (Apart from
    Giles being dead
    How is that crazy? People dying is unrealistic? Main characters dying is unrealistic? :cardie:)

And you didn't even mention Dawn's arc... :rolleyes:

But then again... Let's see... If someone had told you that the town's mayor turns into a giant snake but the entire school fights him, or that Buffy in S5 suddenly has a 14-year old sister who is actually a mystical ball of energy called 'The Key' turned into a human by some monks, who changed everyone's memories, and all that in order to fight a valley girl-like Hell god who sucks people's brains and shares body with a nice young doctor, while a bunch of medieval knights are after her... Errr... :wtf:

Not that S8 is anywhere as good as S3 or S5. Hell no. And the craziness of the plot has gone up, especially in the last 1/3 of the season. But it's not like it's all that different from the show in that respect.

Fortunately, S8 finale and S9 are supposed to be much more character-based and 'back to the basics' approach... And I'm really glad at this point that
    there is no more magic - since that means no more love spells, magical influences, possessions and semi-possessions, crazy transformations, and all that other crap I've definitely had enough of.

17. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, heck, I merely corrected someone who spelled Kari Byron's name wrong ("Kerrie") on a hobby board, and got into a huge fight over it.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

All the seasons of BVTS were just fine. :p

There's a rumor that they're talking about casting some Glee kid as Buffy. Not that it makes a difference.

19. Admiral_Young

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Breaks my heart.