Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooh slam dunk. :guffaw: I'm guessing our alien overlords.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is the elevator scene from the extended trailer online yet? I really loved that scene.

So, it's hard to know for sure, which is no doubt by design, but it looked to me as if Cap was going AWOL or whatever, quitting in disgust, and that those men were SHIELD agents sent to try to keep him from going. Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

3. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the SHIELD goons in the elevator attacks Cap with a sharp object. They want Cap dead for some reason, and I don't think it's because of insubordination.

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Indeed.

When Tony Blair was PM he tried to reform the House of Lords from being unelected to semi-elected or something like that. I understand the need for a upper house given some of the totally retarded laws the House of Commons and the Government try and push through and the Lords does act as a balance against that because even though it's made of former MPs among it's ranks, until the dickhead-in-chief started filling it up with more Conservative peers, it has pretty much been nonpartisan.

But yes, one of my biggest bug bears is that this check-and-balance and who can dictate what laws are passed or what should be "watered down" is unelected.

As for swearing allegiance to the queen. Nope, never done that, even when doing the Scout promise, I always skirted over that part and submitted (mentally mind you) God and the Queen with Humanity and Community respectively. - Now that a new promise has been made for non-god fearing heathens like myself, it should be a whole lot easier.

5. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't say require. Do pay attention.

Since 1997. America has direct election of our Senators since 1918.

You stick to your side of the pond and I'll stick to mine.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

We're completely off topic, but I thought the House of Lords (leaving aside the still hereditary ones) were appointed, not elected.

7. Brefugee

Indeed they are, hence this and the follow up a few posts later.

8. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, that's why I was responding to Yminale, who posted saying they were elected well after your post.

9. Brefugee

Fair enough, unless he saw what I was responding to and bypassed by posts.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I thought recent reforms were meant to allow for it rather than the old system of buying themlseves in. Sorry, being awarded it.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think most of them are still hereditary titles...which in a bizarre way I feel sort of works better than them being elected or "appointed". I mean I like the idea of a (more or less) politically neutral body who are not beholden to financial contributors or their local electorate being able to check career politicians from pushing through something monumentality stupid on behalf of the country as a whole. I'm not saying it's perfect or immune to corruption--name *one* power structure that is!--or that I like the idea of a bunch old crusty blue blooded relics having that kind of authority...but it mostly seems to work. Buggered if I know why. We also manage to get on without an official constitution.

Anyway, you lot do realise that this discussion has been spun off a straw-man argument, yes? I said "old fashioned ideals", not "old fashioned *American* ideals because-British-ideals-are-better-and-also-Cap-is-a-racist-who-kicks-puppies". I was talking about old fashioned in a very general, non-specific way. I mean I know you lot were isolationist back then but you weren't *that* bloody culturally unique!

I think I also used the word "allegory" in there to, which for those with smaller vocabularies, or just like to skim posts, means I was talking about the symbolism of Cap changing back into his old uniform.

12. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Not quite. The House of Lords now consists of three groups (well, two groups, one of which is two sub-groups:

1. The Lords Spiritual -- basically, the 26 senior clergy of the Church of England. These days they typically don't get too involved in government business.
    2. The Lords Temporal -- a theoretically unlimited number of non-clergy peers, consisting in turn of:
    (a) 92 spots elected from the hereditary peerage. There are something like 800 hereditary dukes, marquesses, earls, viscounts, and barons at present (no new such titles have been created for non-members of the royal family since the early 1960s, apart from two in the Thatcher years), and those guys vote on their representatives. Those elections are for life, so after the initial 92 were voted in in 1999, new elections are held whenever somebody dies.
    (b) An unlimited number of life peers, appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister. Their titles are non-hereditary, and thus die with them.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Captain America
    Winter Soldier
    Black Widow
    Nick Fury
    SHIELD

We getting a Super Bowl spot or what?
    What's the post credit scene going to be, tie to?

Discuss.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think that the post-credits scene will tie into "Age of Ultron". I would squee like a fan-boy if it ended with a call of "Avengers Assemble".

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That does seem like the most likely post-credits scene.

16. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It happened in the comics. He got better. :lol:

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^At least twice, in fact, if we count his stint in the ice.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

No need to panic it's just a rumour and yes, anyone who knows comics should know that major characters rarely stay dead for long.

Anyway, IF they do kill him off in CA2, I'd bet good money the post-credit scene for Avengers 2 or Ant-Man would tease his return. Marvel has this hype building thing down to a science by now.

20. Alidar Jarok

I would be shocked if they didn't want him in Avengers 2, so I can't imagine killing him off. Universe plot demands require them not to do so regardless of what an individual movie might want to do.