And the Children Shall Lead

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by BlueStuff, Aug 21, 2013.

1. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's up with those food cards?! I really must be missing something here because I don't see how you can apparently have any variety of food you wish from a small handful of wooden cards.

At one point in this (abysmal) episode, the last child wants chocolate marble and pistachio. Nurse Chapel picks a card and is about to put it into the slot, then the kid says, "And peach". Well, she has a card for that, too, apparently. And she was only holding two cards! So they just happened to be "Chocolate marble and pistachio" and "Chocolate marble and pistachio with peach"?!

Furthermore, was that kid afraid of, or allergic to, the colour WHITE?!! What was the point of that sequence? Was it supposed to show how cute kids are with their arbitrary tastes? Was it supposed to be funny?

2. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I do have the same questions but haven't been able to come up with good answers, either.

Almost seems that those "tapes" have some voice recognition chip inside or something like that. There are strange things going on in this epsode.

And considering the multitude of Chinese names in California, I still wonder why of all the Chinese names (for the couple of the Starnes expedition) they picked "Tsing Tao". :beer:
    Maybe that was supposed to be funny, but my concept of humor is apparently somewhat different.

Bob

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

We really don't know how those food synthesizers work. It might have something to do with what order the menu tapes are inserted, and any unmarked buttons are pressed on the synthesizer dispenser. I try not to think about some of the third season episodes too much.

4. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Always hated that part too.

"I want cookies and cream with caramel and nuts."

"Wow, one of the 3 cards I'm holding is cookies and cream with caramel and nuts!" :wtf:

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

What we see happen in this episode doesn't appear to have anything to do with how food dispensers or memory cards actually work. It's a game to keep children entertained, is all. Chapel makes up the rules, and no doubt adjusts them as needed to keep the kids happy.

Timo Saloniemi

6. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

More information at this old post:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=7403824&postcount=13

7. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That about nails it down. The idea was that the kids were choosing from flavors they could see on the cards. But in the end, it's just another terrible scene in a terrible episode, leavened by Majel Barrett's total lack of charisma. :borg:

8. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Maybe Picard learned of the events in this episode, and that is why he was so leery of having children on board Enterprise-D.

Oh, and Melvin Belli dressed in a shower curtain..some things you just can't un-see.

9. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This episode is so awful--it's one of the few I can't bear to watch unless forced to at gunpoint (or just about)--that the contradictions and plot inanities (is that a word?)don't register with me.

10. Robert Comsol

Gents, I think you are being to harsh. From a treknological point of view this episode features some intersting "firsts".

We finally got to see the banner of the United Federation of Planets (was that one of the flags in the Season One hearing room and if yes, what was the other?), and we finally got to see the Season Three recreation room we had previously missed (because that scene from "Elaan of Troyius" had been abandoned on the floor of the editing room).

It was nice to see the Auxiliary Control Room again and the episode had a good shocker, just to imagine that those two security crewmen had beamed into the vacuum of space.

Okay, the premise that Sulu would take daggers in space for real is outrageously naive :wtf:, but despite the many flaws there are still a few items that are worth seeing.

Bob

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

My take is that this wasn't a requirement. All the card could have been the exact same color and the children could have still ordered different favors. When the children announced which favors they wish, Chapel handed them a colored card that was reasonable close to the selection.

When that one kid wanted to reorder, Chapel could have simply used the same card the kid used the first time, but choose to employ a different card.

As noted above, there was the element of a game to it.

:)

12. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Yup. This one is at the very bottom of my TOS watch list.

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the worst episodes ever. It's almost unwatchable.

14. BlueStuff

Hail, hail fire and snow, call the angel we will go, far away, for to see, friendly angel come to me!

If you think about it Gorgon was actually pretty twisted and scary. At least he would have been if he were played by a real actor, not a famous lawyer. But his motives and actions were really quite unsettling. He drives grown-ups to suicide through sheer terror (or maybe they just read the script) and controls children with the promise of "a million friends" to play with. The fact that he wore a sparkling robe and is referred to as "friendly angel" actually makes him seem even more twisted. At least, in theory. In actuality he's quite laughable. But I can appreciate the idea.

And I still crack up at the thought of those kids with their mind control via fist pumping.

15. BlueStuff

That banner was hideous! :alienblush:

16. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

True, it seems that that there is always something good to be found, even in the not-so-good TOS episodes.

17. CrazyMatt

Melvin Belli should have been disbarred for his 'performance.'

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In the future there will be Facebook.

:)

19. Robert Comsol

:guffaw: That's the best BBS comment I've read in weeks! Mark Zuckerberg, who's your daddy?

Bob

20. CrazyMatt

:lol: