Turning 50 on the 22d...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by propita, Jul 20, 2013.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

My cousin is very pale. She was walking down the street one time, wearing a short dress, and someone yelled from a passing car, "Yo, Caspar, you're blinding me." :rommie:

Colonoscopy. Bleah. I've been avoiding that.....

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hubby had one two years ago. They want a repeat next year to monitor some questionable nodules. If all is okay, he won't have to worry. It was the hemorrhoidectomy that was tough for him. SIX WEEKS off work! And he was in a lot pain due to the quantity.

3. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

hey we share the same birthday with the new prince! happy belated b-day I just hit 42 which is the answer to life the universe and everything- keep the faith and keep the RX coming ;P

4. propita

Yay on sharing the day! We're a couple of crabs, I guess.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Belated birthday wishes!

6. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Here's my philosophy:

Turning 50 is better than the alternative.
    I turned 59 on July 16.

7. propita

Well, I'm 50 years, one week. All is well!

Hubby drove us all the way from Fresno to Hollywood in the middle of the night to try to get a limited edition Disney pin set for me. I think he was in "male hunter" mode--you know, "must go out, stalk and kill little bit of metal." Anyway, our "randomly drawn" numbers precluded our getting one! But a very nice young couple we met managed to get two sets and contacted us to sell us one set at cost. Such nice people you can meet!! It was quite cool in the morning dark, and I shared the blanket we had with the girl, as we were both cold as we talked for a few hours. We're all hoping to keep in touch.

One thing we've learned over time: While not everyone is "good" or "bad," some people are just that bit more special. When we meet such people, we try to support and nurture that specialness. It's not that common and can be lost if not tended. Sometimes it's just mentoring, sometimes just friendship; occasionally, it's actual financial help. But that kind of goodness must be actively encouraged and preserved. It's really not all that common.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I agree. Niceness must be encouraged whenever you find it. I think it is pretty common, but people feel they must 'toughen up' to deal with the world.

9. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well ironically you cheered me up propita. I didn't realize you were older than me(by just a little:rommie:) yet you still went out and passed law school! You are my new hero and an inspiration to us quasi-fogies everywhere:bolian:.

10. propita

Gee, thanks! I don't mind my quasi-fogeyness.

Oh. That young couple? The girl was sooooo funny. She commented on how teenagers act/dress. I said to her, "You're all of 23! Barely out of your teens! Are you feeling old already?!" Sweet couple!

11. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

My mom didn't like to turn 60 so she kept counting:
    fifty-eight, fifty-nine, fifty-ten, fifty-eleven... :D (She is fifty-twenty-three now)
    Or you can make it like Peter Wingfield who celebrated the 25th anniversary of his 25th birthday last summer.

I'll turn 50 next spring but I keep forgetting how old I am and always have to make a quick calculation if someone asks me. Depending on how much sleep I get I usually feel between 23 and 40 :)

12. propita

My husband is happy that I'm finally acting older than 25! When I was 30, he said my maturity level was maybe--maybe--18. When I hit 40, he said I was closer to 25.

Now, in many ways I'm acting closer to 30...but at some point, ones cares less what others think. Add that to my natural obliviousness and I'm likely regressing a bit. I do think more, though. When I have to. Which I try to avoid.