They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Call me cautious.
    Directors have been handed comic book film reins before who had no more solid proof their resume had them ready for the task than Affleck does.

It's a fine line to walk though. You can look at majority of the successful films and say that a "fit" seemed obvious.
    Singer on X-Men seemed good after great character ensemble with Usual Suspects and drama of Apt Pupil.
    Branagh on Thor sounded great as soon as I heard it.
    Johnston on Captain America.
    Whedon on Avengers.

The only three that didn't immediatly sound right and turned out great were Raimi on Spider-man and Favreau on Iron Man. I really didn't look at Nolan's resume and instantly think that the guy who did Memento was a lock to give us great Batman films.

Tim Story on Fantastic Four was a mixed bag.
    Ratner on X-Men 3 was questionable.
    Mark Johnson on Daredevil and Ghost Rider were mixed results.

So Affleck on a JLA film....I'm iffy on the thought.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm not sure why people are rolling their eyes at Affleck (here and elsewhere). He has a solid track record as a director. Indeed, at this point, he's already directed as many feature films as Joss Whedon had when he tackled The Avengers. And has at least one Oscar for screenwriting.

And, as Captain Craig pointed out, John Favreau was not an obvious choice for IRON MAN, but . . .

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Judging by previous interviews I've read with Affleck, there's no chance whatsoever he'll want to do this.

He has no interest in the mainstream, popcorny stuff anymore and prefers making interesting, arty films now.

4. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

5. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

I can't wait for affleck's next feature, Argo.

6. Greg Cox

I don't know. ARGO, his latest movie, looks like a clever mainstream thriller . . . .

7. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

And with the paycheck he'd get from directing Justice League, he could make as many arty films as he wanted.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Affleck will do it if he likes the script and is interested in the story. He is a comic book fan after all. I'd be more than pleased if he accepted the gig. He has more than proved himself already with "Gone Baby Gone" and "The Town", and "Argo" looks like it will be fantastic.

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

The Town is an excellent crime thriller.

I don't know if I would call The Town "arty"... not popcorn fluff to be sure... but more akin to The Dark Knight Rises than the fluffy The Avengers....

10. Captain Craig

I see that as well. While I'm not sure I'll catch it in the theater(budget won't allow me to see all the ones I'd like to) I do have an interest in the film. I described it to a friend as a suspense thriller but perhaps the extra adjective is a redundancy.

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but the Avengers kicks The Dark Knight Rises' pretentious ass, and Warner's going to need that kind of fluff if it hopes to have its Justice League come close. i don't care who directs it.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Plus he was the bomb in Phantoms, yo!!! ;)

13. Professor Zoom

Hey, if you like fanwank, that's ok... I think there's more substance in the Dark Knight Trilogy however.

:lol:

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

You're right. More substance, and depth and gravitas and pathos and more of a whole bunch of other movie critic buzzwords which will utterly sink a JL movie if it's done that way .

But hey, if you like flops with substance, fine.

15. Greg Cox

He's actually underrated as an actor. I particularly liked him in "Shakespeare in Love."

16. Professor Zoom

:lol: I think you might be the only person in the world that thinks The Dark Knight Rises is a flop.

I'm not saying that a Justice League movie has to be the same tone as the Dark Knight. I would rather it not. But I would also it rather not be the same tone as The Avengers. Variety aint a bad thing. But, if DC just wants to make The Avengers 2 before Joss can... more power to them I suppose.

And what movie critic took a dump in your morning cereal? They aren't "buzzwords." They are words with meaning. People USE them.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In no way should JLA be dark and gritty... In the beginning.

You have dark and gritty batman in the corner a little pissed off that all these camp idiots are wasting their god like powers, then a 1/4 the way into the movie Superman gets his ass handed to him, and the rest of them suddenly realize that it's not just about bullying bank robbers robbers anymore.

Darkseid has (literally) crucified Superman.

It's battle they will probably lose that they have to be brave to wade into, and it's the end of the world either way.

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Deadline says that Affleck's reps told them "no" on this rumor before it was even a rumor (i.e., we're so cool, we knew this "story" before it was a "story" and didn't publish because they said "no way").

19. Captain Craig

Meeting adjourned. Back to the speculation.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Have Joss Whedon direct ALL the comic book movies!!