"James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JacksonArcher, Jan 11, 2011.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Why can't James Bond be an Oscar worthy role?

At some point I want Christopher Nolan to write and direct a Bond movie. He's a big Bond fan himself.

2. Switch

Switch Captain

I just had the horrible mental image of Christian Bale monotonously intoning "Bond, James Bond". :barf:

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love for Christopher Nolan to either write and/or direct a James Bond movie, but I don't see it happening for a couple reasons. One, even though Nolan is a self-proclaimed Bond fan, he's already made some movies with Bondian influences, like the Q-esque portrayal of Lucius Fox and Bond's gadgets in the Batman movies, and of course the homage to On Her Majesty's Secret Service in his most recent Inception. That might dissuade Nolan from tackling a straight-up Bond movie since he's made several movies with those influences.

Two, the Broccoli's are known for hiring directors that aren't that well-known. I believe at some point prior to Raiders of the Lost Ark that Steven Spielberg campaigned to direct a James Bond movie but apparently he was too well-known after Jaws. Marc Forster and Sam Mendes are established, respected, and talented directors, but they aren't nearly on the level of say Chris Nolan, who after directing the Batman movies and Inception is a bit more well-known to audiences now.

However, I'm sure if Nolan was offered the chance to direct a Bond movie, he would probably take it. I just don't see Broccoli and Wilson offering him the job. On a related topic, before Batman Begins, Christian Bale was rumored to be a contender for James Bond. That would've been interesting.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

^
    There was an OHMSS? Homage in Inception? I was half asleep through the entire film. Must've missed it.

5. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Honey Ryder, I think you'll find.

Too bad. You also missed a fantastic film. :p

6. CorporalClegg

Watch the hyperbole. :borg:

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm I dunno, I found the snowbound bits of inception curiously dull, didn't help matters that everyone was wearing white so looked identical and you never new who was doing what/where!

There's a lot to be said for colour, logical no, handy in a cinematic context, yes.

I do think Bale would have made a great Bond!

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Gadgets-Sonar phones

Locations- Mombasa, Paris, Japan and Hong Kong

Action sequences- Mombasa chase, Ski chase

Nolan's movies are littered with things that would fit in with a James Bond movie

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

JacksonArcher's point
    ^
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    v
    Your head. :p

10. Switch

Switch Captain

w/e :lol:

It was pretty much there to fill the explosion quota. Inception may not have been a complete failure, but it was certainly compromised by its mainstream leanings.

11. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kind of OT in the topic now, but I know before somewhere we were talking about Fassbender's merits as the combination between Dalton and Craig. Hollywood Spy is doing a poll on who should be the next Bond.

http://hollywood-spy.blogspot.com/

Down on the right, is the poll:

WHO SHOULD BE NEW JAMES BOND?

Matthew Goode

Hugh Jackman

Lee Pace

Paul Bettany

Toby Stephens

Michael Fassbender

James Purefoy

Thomas Kretschman

I know we've been having fun with the speculation, but I'm kind of surprised that they are doing this, I mean is there a point this early? Also, Cavill isn't on the list. As we discussed before, it certainly is possible he could be done with Superman by time the next Bond is needed.

Of course, I still say Fassbender. Vaughn made Craig look so good in Layer Cake, and now he's got all the press calling MF a 'bond like Magneto'. Nothing to do but wait and debate I suppose. I can't abide Toby Stephens, his entire career is thanks to mom Maggie Smith as far as I'm concerned.

Mods if you'd rather make a new thread, feel free.

12. CorporalClegg

Of those on the list, I like Stephens the best. Oddly, I always thought he was the better Bond in DAD. And I'm a Brosnan fan.

I like Bettany too, but he's even blonder than Craig.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh, if I was in charge of Bond, I might offer it to him. Depends on my mood.

And if he cuts that shit out with Bale's Batman voice.

So were all the characters!

[/lame joke]

14. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

None from that list. I say Jamie Bamber for James Bond!

15. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

James Purefoy is too old, he'd be 52 or 53 by the time he got his chance.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think Fassbender would make a great Bond, my only concern would be that in some films his accent is somewhat inconcistent. In Centurian half the time he was very English, but the other half of the time he slipped into his (natural I believe) Irish.

Bettany I can't see as Bond, Toby Stephens I'd love to be Bond, the amusement of a Bond villain playing Bond would be worth it alone. And of course he already has played Bond on the radio.

I like the idea of Bale, but he's Batman, and to be honest he's gotta make me forget T4 before I champion him for something like Bond.

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you seen The Fighter? I thought he was really good in that.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

No I haven't, but even in the trailers he looks good.

I just feel he shouldn't have done T4, and if he did shouldn't have wanted to play John Connor. He is a v good actor though, and the first time I saw him in a dinner jacket in Batman Begins I thought he'd make a superb Bond.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Next Bond should be black. He has been white for far too long already.

20. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

You mean she should be black, just to be absolutely sure.

Unless it's Idris Elba, who would be good.