Superman and Batman to join forces with Islamic superheroes

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dusty Ayres, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Once again, the work is intended for people who don't think the way you do. I would hope that it reaches a far larger audience than that.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Al-Qaeda's definition of jihad is a corruption and violation of its true meaning in Islamic doctrine. Jihad is the struggle to defend Islam against that which threatens it from inside (e.g. doubt, anger, selfishness, folly) and outside. It's meant to be a purely defensive act. The only way al-Qaeda gets away with calling its acts jihad is by twisting the truth to pretend they're acts of self-defense, defining their victims as aggressors, and ignoring the Qur'an's unambiguous prohibition against killing noncombatants, women, and children. Al-Qaeda does not define Islam, it corrupts it. Osama bin Laden is not a legitimate Muslim cleric; his credentials are falsified. He has no more authority to declare jihad than I do to declare war on Switzerland.

And Americans who embrace the bigoted lie that all Muslims are evil are just playing into the terrorists' hands, making it easier for them to convince their followers that we're a dangerous enemy trying to destroy them. The kind of anti-Muslim hate speech I'm hearing here just gives al-Qaeda what it wants.

3. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Agreed.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this, and it sounds to me like care is being taken to ensure that it's actually a good story.

4. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is incredibly racist, but hilarious. :guffaw:

5. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

They have every right to publish it.

I have every right to question their motives for doing so.

No more, no less.

6. These comics (the99) already exist in the middle east and are popular there. So instead of asking rhetorical questions used as excuses to shoot out your political views on muslims, the way "left/right" loonies on political forums do and turn every sane person away, just do some research on them.

7. darkwing_duck1

And I stand by that. Ethnic heroes already exist (John Stewart, Blade, Storm, Forge, Bishop, Luke Cage, Shang Chi, Misty Knight, et al). You don't need to radically alter existing heroes to suit some PC notion of "representation".

I have no problem with Muslem/Arab heroes. Several already exist in the MU. My initial impression of THIS project was that it was a Captain Planet style polemic "puff piece".

I would like to see an honest and unflinching look at the implications of such characters.

One example of a story involving an Arab ethnic hero that I thought was particularly well told was the confrontation between Sabra and Batal (the Syrian Super Soldier) in New Warriors 58-59.

On the flip side, Heaven's Fist (a terrorist team) appeared in the pages of Stormwatch back in the late 90s. Again, an unflinching look at what a combination of superpowers and dangerously radical beleif is capable of.

Stormwatch, by the way, had all MANNER of ethnic characters in it's ranks, INCLUDING Muslems (Damascus, for example).

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Muslem??? Is that on purpose?

Why an "unflinching look"? Would you want an unfliching look at a "combination of superpowers and dangerously radical beleif" if said "beleif" was a radical form of Christianity?

9. Misfit Toy

So you don't want "white" heroes interacting with other heroes?? WTF are you saying here? :confused::cardie:

10. Nerys Myk

He's saying, we got enough of those heroes and dont make any white heroes black.

Not sure what that has to do with this topic.

11. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is my fault. I was just pointing out how what he said in my thread about diversity in the new world does not match what he said in this thread.

And yes it sounds like you both have it exactly right.

12. darkwing_duck1

Been done.

13. darkwing_duck1

This is actually a continuation of a debate from another thread, and a bit OT for this one.. Galactus maintains that it is perfectly acceptable to redefine existing characters "to suit modern tastes" by changing things like their race, gender, sexual preference, et al for no other reason than to increase "minority representation" in comics. That is to say, for example: Superman depicted as a black man, or Bruce Wayne as a homosexual, when they have NEVER been so depicted.

I maintain that (for example) if you want a black, lesbian atheist character then you should go create a new character to be one. Don't take the Scarlet Witch and make HER a black lesbian atheist just so there is one represented.

See above...

At any rate, this is OT for this thread...moving on...

14. Nerys Myk

Has it? Refresh my memory. Though IIRC, bad "Muslims" with Superpowers has been done too. I think the Suicide Squad fought such a team in the 80s.

Still not seeing the connection. None of the 99 are old heroes with minority faces.

Do you object to John Stewert as Green Lantern or Michael Holt as Mister Terrific? Would a black Superman or a Gay Bruce Wayne be any different than a Brunette "Green Lantern" replacing a Blond "Green Lantern" or a 6 foot "Atom" replacing a 5 foot "Atom'? How about an Alien "Hawkman" replacing a human one?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  15. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  16. darkwing_duck1

Most recently with Magdalena, whose entire origin turned out to be a lie by the Catholic Church. The old Image stable had loads of "Christian" groups and characters of dubious fidelity to Christian standards.

For a larger list of "Christian" villains, go here:

http://www.comicbookreligion.com/?start=600&IsVillain=1

start with records 601-650 and go from there.

Not what we're talking about...we're talking about re-engineering EXISTING characters, not replacements with the same name.

17. darkwing_duck1

18. QuasarVM

19. QuasarVM

Heheehehheh!!! Anything for a laugh. :)

20. Misfit Toy

Thanks for the clarification. For the record, unless you're talking about an "Elseworlds" situation, I agree with your stance on the matter.