Your least favorite TV romances & why?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Borgified Corpse, Oct 10, 2009.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    What TV romances do you hate or were just plain bad ideas?

Gwen Cooper/Owen Harper, Torchwood
    What a terrible mistake. Gwen loses all of her likability by cheating on her husband. Owen makes himself even more unlikable than usual by acting like a total ass the whole time. Two characters that aren't attractive and have no sexual chemistry. And the plotline just kinda fizzed out after only a few episodes, leaving nothing but a bitter aftertaste. The only saving grace is that, in Season 2, the writers tried to forget that it ever happened.

Clark Kent/Lana Lang, Smallville
    Lana Lang is probably the worst character in TV history. I have no idea what a decent farmboy like Clark sees in this bitchy drama queen, particularly when the much cuter Chloe Sullivan is practically throwing herself at him.

Tru Davies/her asshole college professor, Tru Calling
    Title says it all. That college professor was an asshole who got off on sleeping with his students. Thankfully, the show ditched him after only 2 episodes. (Ironically, the actor who played him ended up starring on his own series, North Shore, which stole Tru Calling's timeslot at the last minute.)

Willow/Tara, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Tara was a redundant character. They took Willow, the meekest character on the show, and decided to make her the dominant one?:wtf: Tara's characterization was so muted, I practically had to turn up the volume on the TV whenever she was on screen. I miss Oz. (Still, I'll take Tara over Kennedy.)

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hm. This one's hard for me, because I rarely find myself disliking a TV romantic couple. Crichton/Aeryn grated on me at times, but nowhere near enough for me to peg it as one of my least favourites.

Er. Uh. Hm. Talia Winters/Susan Ivanova on B5. Not because they're both women, but Talia Winters was frankly always a rather obnoxious and annoying character, and paring her with probably the dullest human character wasn't a move I was that keen on. Well, it was short lived, hurrah.

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Works for me. If I was Clark, I would have picked Chole in a heartbeat.

Hell, I'm not Clark, and I'd still pick Chole in a heartbeat.

4. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:

I hated Clark/Lana because that is not the way I picture this relationship working, the writers really screwed it up bad. Chloe was aweful Season 1-3 1/2...I think Chloe Starting Season 5 would have been good for Clark.

Buffy/Angel I hated Angel from the begining, this relationship was doomed from the start and it was like watching paint dry. I always thought Buffy/Spike had more energy.

S.

5. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

Gwen Cooper/Owen Harper, Torchwood.
    She cheated on her boyfriend, who was really great and didn't deserve that shit, and Owen was an ass. I've never liked the hints about her and Jack either.

Rose/Doctor 10, Doctor Who
    I can see why she's attracted, but him? She's an immature teenager.

Kara/Lee, Battlestar Galactia
    She was engaged to his brother.

There are more, but that's all I can think of right now.

6. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that was terrible. It almost made me stop watching the show right there. If someone had not told me to just skip ahead to the second season, which was a huge improvement, I would have given up on the show. Which is sad, because I'm a big John Barrowman/Captain Jack Harkness fan and I think the character deserves a better vehicle honestly.

Anyway here's mine:

Spike and Buffy. Because evil, soulless, baby killing, mass murdering, misogynistic, rapists have feelings too. Anyone who's been witness to my legendary rants in Sci Fi/Fantasy know my opinion on the matter.

Except for Adama/Roslin(which was tolerable but preposterous) and Billy/Dee(which was really cute, but ultimately pointless. Kind of like the show in general) most relationships on NuBSG were horrible. But the two worst offenders were Starbuck and Baltar. Starbuck becomes a much more tolerable character if you imagine she's played by Jammie Presley from My Name is Earl and she's in her Joy Hickey persona, redneck accent and all. Because everything about Starbuck is pure, 100% Poor White Trash. "Hey Lee! Whatchu doin' over dere fuckin' that colored bitch? I'm gonna put my cheetah-skinned pumps up her ass so fast her grandkids are gonna feel it. Oh, Sweet Jesus I'm fuckin' drunk! Hey I think another kid just popped out!". Because that's the only way I can watch that stupid Lee/Kara/Anders/Dee/Leoben love saga and take it somewhat seriously.

And with Baltar? Apparently skinny little metro-sexual nerds who cry and piss their pants all the time are irresistible to all women. Who knew.

Sawyer/Kate: I hated Wolverine/Jean Grey the first time around. Not really digging the redo.

Tara/Willow: 1) Because Willow is straight, and no amount of retconning by Whedon will convince me other wise and

2)Because how the hell do you make two chicks making out boring.

7. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Agreed. Rose was an actual (albeit sometimes annoying) person in the first season of new Who, and then spent the second season dribbling over the Doctor like a clichéd infatuated teenager. That was bad enough, but having the Doctor behave like a clichéd infatuated teenager as well - and over the immature and dull person that was S2 Rose - was grotesque.

:guffaw:

I hadn't thought of it that way, but I'm inclined to agree. I'm one of the (apparently very) few people who cannot stand Sawyer (21st century cavemen just don't do anything for me) and I'm damned if I can work out what Kate sees / saw in him. The fact she's so incredibly dull doesn't help much, either.

Even worse was Juliet / Sawyer, though. What the hell was wrong with her?? :wtf:

8. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

Daria/Tom in Daria. The introduction of Tom in this 90s MTV cartoon has always been controversial among fans. I never cared much for him - he's bland and doesn't have any distinctive character traits of his own. He first dated Daria's (only) pal Jane, causing tension between the two, and then cheated on Jane with Daria. An attempt at character development that completely changed the direction and tone of the show, and not for the better; it became too melodramatic and, a lot of the time, not as funny.

Kim/Ron in Kim Possible. One thing I really liked about this show was that Kim and Ron were very close friends - and that was that. I actually enjoyed some aspects of their developing romance at the time but, in retrospect, it would have been better to have kept it the way it was. And why the writers decided to "ship" Drakken and Shego out of nowhere in the last episode is truly beyond me.

9. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chakotay/Seven - Came from absolutely nowhere right at the end of the series, it was more of a distraction than anything else in the finale with them trying to put some sort of relevance on a relationship that the audience was not invested in at all.

Michael/Jan from The Office - This was ok until they turned Jan from a professional business woman into a complete nutjob. It would have been more interesting to have her keep her job and try to juggle the relationship with a guy she had to manage.

Rodney McKay/Jennifer Keller from Stargate Atlantis - I liked the Katie Brown/Rodney relationship better. There was more chemestry between them.

10. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the interaction between Rose and Doctor 9 better. It felt like the writers were trying to force something because the actor for 10 was younger. The character is still 1,000 years old and has tons of baggage. I just didn't buy it. What they did with 10 and Martha, with him not noticing, is what they should have done in season two.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Amen. You beat me to the punch.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Troi/Worf.

Because Troi is simply destined to be with Riker, we all knew that from day one.

Jadzia was the best match for Worf that Trek ever had. Troi? No way.

13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Jack/Kate and Sawyer/Kate. Kate is such a terrible person that it boggles the mind as to why they'd want her.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anything where the wedge between the lovers is contrived and makes them look like dolts. This is so common that I could type my fingers bloody listing examples, but here's a few:

Ezri/Bashir/Worf love triangle - maintained by the writers only by the expedient of making the characters act like they're in the fourth grade.

Chuck/Sarah - if the writers are playing fair with
    the Intersect being out of Chuck's head
    then there should be no obstacle to Chuck and Sarah hooking up. If the writers contrive another obstacle this season, it had better be a good one. Why can't they just forgo the UST and let them have sex, if that's what's natural for the plot?

15. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yeah---I think the whole love-triangle is the LEAST interesting part of the entire show. I don't CARE Kate. Nothing she does makes sense, or makes me like her very much.

16. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I think Buffy had uniformly terrible taste in men. Buffy/Angel, Buffy/Riley, & Buffy/Spike were all terrible for different reasons. Buffy/Angel didn't work because while Angel was on Buffy he didn't have any real personality. He was just the hunky vampire for Buffy & Cordelia to drool over. Buffy & Riley just plain didn't have any chemistry (although I think that Riley is an underrated member of the Scooby gang). And while there was a very interesting, explosive chemistry between Buffy & Spike, the whole attempted rape at the end of Season 6 made it all too unseemly. Personally, I'm a Buffy/Xander 'shipper.

Another vote for Battlestar Galatica's "quadrangle of doom"-- Sam Anders/Starbuck/Apollo/Dee. Starbuck was a contemptible, selfish bitch who did nothing but jerk around all the men in her life. Apollo was an empty headed doormat. I don't see how any women were attracted to him. And I don't think any of us ever forgave Dee for ditching Billy.

I'm also not a big fan of these patriarch/matriarch romances like Bill Adama/Laura Roslin on Battlestar Galactica or Captain Janeway/Chakotay on Star Trek: Voyager.

I don't necessarily have a problem with making Willow a lesbian. However, I wish the show had given us an in-show way to reconcile that with Willow's obvious feelings for Xander & Oz in the earlier seasons.

I agree it's stunning how boring the Willow/Tara romance was. I did find myself intrigued by some of the Willow/Fred possibilities in "Orpheus." And I often felt that a Dawn/Tara romance would be very interesting. But Willow/Tara just totally falls flat.

I'm surprised I didn't think of this one. Actually, I'm glad I didn't think of it. That means this horrible idea is slowly fading from my memory. (Now, if only I could forget about the Kes/Neelix thing too.)

I didn't like Katie Brown. Whenever she was around, it made Rodney act like an idiot. Rodney is far less stupid when he's around Keller. (But then, I haven't seen Season 5 yet, so my exposure to this relationship is limited.)

17. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Andrea Thompson made a good living playing obnoxious and annoying characters, she not a bad actress, she just written that way. Hate her on one of my fav shows "JAG."

The forbidden romance between Jack O'Neill and Samatha Carter, the slow build up was a bit interesting at first. But they had no where to go with it. Carter's go no where engagement to that cop was no better.

18. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

He was Tuxedo Mask. And that's all he was. When he got his own show he became Magic Batman.

I personally liked seeing her with a normal guy. Except he wasn't normal, because he was weirder then Angel or Spike.

Wonder Woman should not fuck The Joker. If a bunch of bored, middle aged women(and Joss Whedon) want a bad boy sex fantasy, then I suggest making your husbands dress up like a biker and quit taking it out on a perfectly good show. That's what I said then. That's what I say now.

Seriously. Me and some friends used to get drunk and watch the show and the only way we could stand her is if we imagined her as a drunken hillbilly. Try it sometime. It's a blast.

He started out Captain America. Then he became Captain Douchebag. When the Voice of Morality no longer has any sense of morality, then the character becomes pointless and meaningless.

One sentence. Once simple sentence could have saved him a world of grief. "I'm bi-sexual." But he HAD to have a gay character and he didn't care how or why. Xander would have been the better choice. It's not like he ever did anything interesting after season 3 anyway.

Because it didn't make any sense and was insulting to the audiences intelligence. Not the last time Whedon would do that.

Yeah, and watch as the Wes/Fred fans stone you to death.

Back off now, Roman Polanski.

It's because there was no relationship prior to the episode. There was no frame of reference for the audience. It was just BOOM there it is. And it was thrown in because they had no idea of how either character should end. And well, because would you really prefer her and Harry ending up together?

19. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Exactly. The 12:01am January 1st / 11:58pm Dec 31st aspect was ridiculous enough without the colossal amount of baggage the Doctor's lugging around as well. Yet there he was, drooling over Rose like...well, an infatuated teenager. The entire thing was completely absurd.
    Martha's character was (IMO, anyway) doomed from the start by having her pining over the Doctor like an adolescent. Her whining about the fact he was so hung up on Rose made me want to throttle her. I have no objection whatsoever to romance on Who but IMO it was handled very badly. An equal for the Doctor, I can believe. An adolescent and an adolescent-like person...not so much, and that's what we got.

20. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Zek/Moogie (Lameness that hurt any that either character had going for them...which wasn't much to begin with.)

Chakotay/Seven, a romance as flat as a pancake...made worse by it's series finale factor "SEVEN dies and Chuckles is never the same again!"

Ezri/Worf/Bashir (Ezri fucking broke the fucking Trill rules and should have that slug yanked from her and left to die...okay, that's harsh...)

Gun/Fred (why did Whedon push the tough guy/geeky girl angle...is he just a self-hating nerd? Or was it that didn't know what to do with Gun?)

Mulder/Scully, no one has the guts to say it, I guess. The series was reduced to 'shipper crapola...IT'S MOONLIGHTING WITH ALIENS...OF COURSE THEY'LL EVENTUALLY "DO IT". (Okay, I've learned to live with it...)

David Addison/Maddie Hayes, they "did it" and the show immediately turned to crap.

I have mixed feelings about Odo/Kira...him loving her, yes. Her loving him romantically...not sure it should've been.