(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Inter hasn't won in Europe since 65. :D But all good things must end. :( With the addition of the special one (plus Moratti who is likely to spent money just as often as Roman does) I think they might actually win one in the next few years.

Milan campaign in the Serie A will depend on how good Ronaldinho will be. It's as simple as if he can return to 90% of his 2006 form then I think we should be able to challenge for the Scudetto. Otherwise no chance.

Oh yes Eto'o has considered a lucrative offer from an Uzebekistan club.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=827119.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

2. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

And the bad news just doesn't stop for Arsenal - reports are that Toure has malaria.

3. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

And that was when they were bribing referees.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

He's expected to be fit for the opening game of the season against West Brom.

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Tell opposition strikers that it's contagious, and L'Arse will have clean sheets until Christmas.

Which is more than can be said for Kolo. (or is that dysentry?)

6. Garak

Even though I've read otherwise, I'm sure he'll be fine. :)

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Some terrible news, the mother of Newcastle's Obafemi Martins has died after a petrol tanker exploded near her home in Lagos. The exact cause of her death is presently unknown.

8. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

UEFA-Cup isn't "Europe"?

9. Daedalus12

Typically when we football fans say "hasn't won in Europe" we are talking about only the European Cup/Champions league. :)

10. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Hm, I like the UEFA-Cup a lot more than the Champions League though. ;)

11. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Personally I think the UEFA Cup this year is going to be better than the Champions League. I don't have a list of all the teams in it to hand but there are some real quality teams in there this year, not least Milan.

It's still my dream that Steve McClaren-managed FC Twente will draw either Arsenal or Liverpool in the CL qualifying round and knock them out at the best-named stadium in Europe, the Grolsch Fortress!

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Huge day for the PL transfer market...

From the Spurs official website...

Great Buy for Liverpool as Robbie Keane has scored over 100 PL goals in his career and for Spurs alone scored oveer 100 club goals for them in all competitions. He has a proven International record with includes 3 World Cup goals.

Other News...

13. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Everton and Bolton should both be happy to get the cash for Johnson and Diouf - neither of them are particularly brilliant, and surely £10m for a goal-shy striker with a repuation (however deserved) hitting the deck a bit too easily and a history of injury problems has to be a good deal doesn't it? And Diouf... well, it's very hard to like him.

Tottenham have made a killing in the market as well. They need to start buying now though surely? That's Keane, Robinson, Tainio and Chimbonda now, and apparently Kaboul and Malbranque deals should be wrapped up this week.

Big blow for Portsmouth to lose Muntari, and if reports are to be believed they're going to be missing out on their main targets too.

Keane and Torres is a hell of a strikeforce though - Liverpool have done well there. Are they likely to bring in anyone else now, especially with Mascherano off to the Olympics?

14. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good signing, no question. One has to assume the Berbatov to United deal won't take off. I can't see that club selling the both of them.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Rumors are that Spurs are leading the Villa chase thanks to Ramos and could be set to sign him to partner Berbatov. I think Villa would keep Berbs there for at least one more year but lets not forget Darrent Bent who scored a decent amount considering the number of games he played. If played alot Bent would probably get you a 1-2 ratio.

16. Daedalus12

With Real now chasing Villa there is no way in hell that the Spurs are getting him.

I think despite Arsenal losing Hleb and Flamini they'll still finish comfortably in the top 4. The Spurs still have the injury prone Ledley King as the leader of their defense. With him most likely in the sideline at some point during the season their defense will ship goals like no other team in the premier league with the exception of the bottom feeders.

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm not confident about Arsenal's chances at all, but I don't see Spurs being the ones to do it. I would say that Villa or Everton are far more likely.

18. TheArsenal

I'm confident Arsenal will finish in the top 4. And I have a whole list of (admittedly biased) reasons I won't go into now. But if a team gets does get bumped, it may be Portsmouth that do it. They seem to be going about quietly putting together a fairly competitive team.

19. Garak

Arsenal certainly does look like they're in for a tough season. In fact the only things they have going for them is that the summer isn't over yet and there's still time to work a deal or two. Only I'm having troubles thinking of who would want to come to them when they admit they pay below what the market is. Couple that with the fact they haven't won anything in 3 years and it's not looking good. Young, unproven kids I guess are their only option, and it takes time for them to grow, I wouldn't expect much of an immediate impact from them. And it looks like Liverpool just took third, maybe even second in the Prem with and Keane and Torres working side by side.

In a way they're kind of like my Vancouver Canucks - they have obvious, glaring problems (scoring for my Nucks, depth for Arsenal) yet don't really do all that much to address it.

Anyone hear what's happening with Drogba? Is the wanker staying at Chelsea or leaving? I hear something different every day. Hope he leaves, not sure I can bear seeing him pout through another season.

20. TheArsenal

The question with Arsenal is can they replace Hleb and Flamini. The answer is both yes and no. Hleb was without question the best dribbler in the league and often won the ball high up on the pitch allowing for quick turn around goals. There is no like for like replacement in the world. At the same time, he would never shoot. Ever. Two goals I believe. Anyone who slots in, whether it be Nasri or whomever, will put more balls in the back of the net almost guaranteed.

Flamini is easier to replace and there are players in the squad right now, such as Diaby who are better on the ball. Flamini was a valuable player, but his chief contribution was energy and his comfortable partnership with Cesc. Energy is not difficult to replace. Partnerships form over time.

The key to Arsenal's season will be, as it was last year, staying healthy. If Robin v.Persie plays a good number of games, with his average of a goal every other game, then Arsenal are formidable. If Rosicky can stay healthy then he too adds great strengths. And we are all waiting to see what kind of player Eduardo will be coming off that horrendous injury.

From the current squad, the Mexican lad Vela, who came back from loan, looks to be very useful. And, I am betting this is Theo's year to come good.

This is not a weak Arsenal team. They were 4 points out of first in a year that set records for first, second and third place points.

That said, where Arsenal are lacking is in the back. A back up center back of better quality than Senderos needs to be bought, particularly as the best c back, Toure, deputizes at right back. Song looks like he could be a solution given time in the position. Hoyte does not inspire confidence in me and is not looking the goods in (admittedly very early) preseason so far.