Star Trek Destination London ??

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Nero's Shadow, May 15, 2014.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Ok I'm happy that the Star Trek Destination is going to be in London but I was wondering if anyone went from the UK and how much did it cost ???

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I didn't go, but I do seem to remember a lot of bitching about ticket prices - and their steep hierarchical structure. If I remember correctly, there were significant additional charges levied for the various events/talks etc. A basic pass only got you through the door pretty much.

I think many commentators felt fans were being "fleeced" somewhat.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I really fancied it but you needed to pre book and pay for everything, be in the right place at the predetermined time and woe betide you if you don't stay on schedule.

I want to be able to wander around, meet who I want in my own time (and queue where necessary) and not worry about ticketing and time slots.

I didn't go...

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I did go but I was one of the crew members who helped the attendees so I didn't see much except for the Five Captains talk as I was busy helping everyone else.

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I went and got the Gold tickets. They were the "middle tier" so to speak at £300ish but basically turned out to only grant you a basic level of being treated as a human vs the cattle that was the silver and day pass holders.

I still had to pay for every autograph I got. I still had to queue (albeit not as much as everyone else) and there was still no time left to do everything you wanted. A couple of the (admittedly crappier) events never even happened and overall the parties were either a blast (The Klingon Monster Ball on the Friday was great) or shit (That TNG 25 party...yikes).

Considering I live like 30-40 mins away from ExCeL, I'll probably go again but only for a single day and with no intention of getting any autographs, just to see whats there. If you go for the whole weekend, unless you stay in a hotel and get some really overpriced hotel food, there is literally nowhere nearby that sells decent food (unless you want the even more overpriced and understaffed places in the convention hall).

So yeah. At the end of it all, I went away thinking the people ran it were incompetent and money grabbing. I'll check it out again on a day pass, and if they decorate the hall this time (try and make it FEEL like Star Trek ffs), organize things better and treat people less like Cattle I may go again as a premium ticket holder. But...something tells me its going to be exactly the same as before.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I don't know how accurate the figure for attendees for DSTL were but I heard each day could have been on the order of 20-30 000.

7. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

I went but only on the friday. Had a basic pass had time to wander round get 8 autographs have a photo with Nana Visitor and attend a couple of free talks but attending the paid talks was too much money and there were hardly any stalls to browse/buy things. The area with the props display was good but there was a whole area of space with nothing in it that could easily have been filled with something.

It could have been better on the sat/sun but i was only able to attend the friday.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Of course it was the first one, so lessons would have been learned for the 2nd one which was held inGermany, and know doubt more lessons will have been learned from that one.

9. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Thats what I hope, but I don't know anyone who went to the German one so I have no idea if thats the case or not.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I didn't go to the German one, but this one could potnetially be quieter, as having all Five Captains over at the same time in the UK (Europe?) was a first. The most I had seen togther was two Stewart and and Mulgrew way back in 97 in Blackpool.

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

That was 99 wasn't it? They aired the Finale a few months before it was on the Telly iirc.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think you might be right, after awhile conventions blur into one.