"Battle of the Planets" (1978 TV) live-action feature remake

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Apr 18, 2013.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

From wikipedia about the original show:
    the WB version was going to be CGI wikipedia said.

Synopsis:
    Japan release august 24, no USA release date.

Probably a Blu-ray release in North America but unknown of English dialogue dub. It may just be subtitles...

Teaser trailer of 23 seconds here at the link. [only closeups of 3 actors with suits on and graphics -very unrevealing]
    http://www.jefusion.com/2013/04/live-action-gatchaman-film-s-first-promo.html?m=1

Also
    http://m.quietearth.us/index.php?id=7649
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2451110/
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_planets

I like the costume design and would like to see some actual action in a teaser trailer.
    After seeing the BotP intro again on youtube i did watch this series in the early 1980s while growing up. I always loved that phoenix firebird.

2. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

If there's no 7 Zark 7 I'm out. :scream:
    [​IMG]
    ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

If Princess doesn't flash her panties every other scene I'm boycotting!

:devil:

4. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I am glad they are doing it live-action Gatchaman/Battle Of The Planets :bolian: as they did Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato 2010 live-action film.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I find the idea of these things great but I usually don't care for the actual execution of Japanese live action stuff. Maybe it's just cultural differences but it always seems kind of simplistic, shiny and slick but empty, and the acting and directing often seem kind of amateurish and/or melodramatic.

6. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I used to love the version they aired on UK tv but then again I was only 10 or so at the time.

8. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ It aired in the UK as Battle of the Planets, and as G-Force. Loved it at the time, only to be horrified in later years to discover how much of a hatchet job on the original Gatchaman it was.

9. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Not sure how it was in the Japanese original but the English dub of Gatchaman - well I could find less corn in a farmer's field.

There was also another version call Eagle Riders and there was also a Gatchman OVA.

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

:lol: IIRC, Zark was an American invention when it was re-edited as Battle of the Planets, to be a "kid friendly" narrator to the story and to fill in space from editing. Like Yamato, there were some occasional not-so-kid-friendly aspects to Gatchamen that had to be clipped. When episodes came in short, they put in the robot (a very R2-D2/IQ-9 kind of character that kids could easily relate to). You'll notice that his blinky lights are generally in synch with the English-speaking voice, as opposed to the dubbed Japanese footage. I doubt he'll show up in the Japanese version, but I could be wrong - a cameo, maybe.

Kind of interesting, anyway. Looking forward to seeing the Phoenix in all her glory. Loved that thing!
    This is more likely to happen. :D

11. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's true, but there was more to it than that. Gatchaman was an entirely Earthbound show, but this was just after Star Wars happened and everyone wanted to imitate it, so they added the R2D2-esque robot and shot bridging material to show the characters' ship flying through space, so that they could pretend that the Earth-based action sequences from the original were happening on various alien planets.

13. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

They also did it because the original Gatchaman was considered way too violent for U.S. TV (as they were going for a kids audience); thus they needed ways to fill time for the cut footage that they considered too violent, and in some cases where they cut so much they had to use footage from two original Japanese episodes to come up with a single U.S. version; had to explain WHY the scene situation changed so drastically - so it was easy to just say, "they now traveled to planet X...":rofl:

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Sure, yes, that's my point -- that the two things they wanted to do (cut out the violence and imitate Star Wars) dovetailed with each other. Doing one enabled them to do the other.