What do Star Trek fans think of Stargate?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Civ001, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Ninjacore

Ninjacore Commander

I cannot take star gate seriously, if america had access to all that alien technology, they'd use it to destroy their rivals as well as anyone else who stood before them, the military industrial machine would simply use it to become the new world empire...not to protect primitive people in other galaxies...

2. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Again with underthinking things. If the USA used any advanced technology on other nations they would seriously risk exposing the program, risk destroying the planet totally, risk loosing their allies like the Asgard.
    Not to mention that they never really got anything of value until around season 5, but by that time Russia was already partnered with the US in the Stargate Program.

3. Ninjacore

Ninjacore Commander

Like America or Russia would ever fully trade information of that power with anyone, and military/politicians are quite short sighted, i do not believe they'd have the self control not to use it bc the asgard might abandon them...

4. SG-17

They had much bigger problems to worry about than some 3rd Muslim countries. Russia was an ally, so was the rest of Europe, China, and Japan. There was no one to fight, especially with the constant threat of Goa'uld attack/Ori attack/Lucian attack.

5. Ninjacore

Ninjacore Commander

I just see it as pandoras box, and no human can resist opening the box...call me skeptical...

6. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I cannot take Stargate seriously because every damn culture on every damn planet they visit speaks English.

There, I said it.

7. Ninjacore

Ninjacore Commander

Thats also a problem in star trek to be fair, to my knowledge only farscape tried to actually deal with that problem with translator microbes...

8. SG-17

That was done on purpose so that half of the episode wasn't devoted to Daniel figuring out how to talk to the locals.

9. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, the obvious solution to that is to have everyone on the team (and the audience) learn ancient egyptian. Then, when you watch Atlantis, you have to learn latin.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Because there are Humans, the Ancients took groups of Humans to all these worlds as recently as around 3000 years ago. They even brought thousands of Humans with them to the Pegasus galaxy. When they accidentally wiped out all life in the Milky Way millions of years ago they restarted, Humans were a particular pet project of theirs, they created us.

11. SG-17

We were the second evolution of their form. From what I gather they purposely seeded Earth so that mammals would evolve the same way that they did. Hell, maybe they were the ones who wiped out the Dinosaurs.

12. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Which is also a huge load of crap. It was stupid when TNG did it, it was stupid when Stargate did it, not just because it's bad science but because it also gives people a deeply wrong impression of how evolution works.

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

If Stargate was to be taken seriously, then it would give people a DEEPLY wrong impression of just about EVERYTHING. :lol:

SG is fantasy, with a touch of sci-fi.

14. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

It's no worse than Trek in that regard.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The presence of Ancient DNA in our genome from millions of years ago does point to them having selectively stepped in at particular times during our development to ensure a certain shared simion humanoid form. I doubt the dinosaurs were a deliberate step on their part though.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I really like DS9 alot. SG-1, I found to be consistently good, rarely exceptional/Great, but, also rarely bad.

TNG, I porbably liked on about the same scale as SG-1, though TNG did have some excellent episodes. Voyager and S1/S2 Enterprise, I found myself upset many weeks, that the episode(s) for that week were crappy and/or uninspired. Enterprise S3 was mostly pretty good and S4 was mostly excellent.

Atlantis, never caught me as much as SG-1 and SGU, though I watched most of it, there was very little entertainment value in it for me until the final 10 episodes, which were mostly really good (finally) and it's too bad it got cut at that point, instead of earlier, or been allowed to continue once it hit it's stride.

17. highlander

highlander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am a Niner when it comes to Star Trek, but have been a life long fan of all things Trek. After seeing Wrath of Khan as a kid I was hooked. So when it came to other franchises I was really snobby. Until in 2008 wal-mart had the DVDs for like 20 bucks per season. So I picked up seasons 1 and 2 b/c it was summer and nothing was on. I was quickly hooked and bought all of SG-1 and SG-A and actually watched SG-U on SyFy. I love it b/c it was fun and popcorn and thats what I really like from my sci-fi sometimes. SG-U was dark but still engaging.

So for me big thumbs up.:techman:

18. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I like SGA more than SG-1.

19. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I freaking LOVE Stargate.

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

To sum up: Star Trek veered from the ridiculous to the sublime. Stargate was often ridiculous but never ambitious enough to approach sublimity.

I wish there was a decent space opera on TV now, but the economics of TV work against it. Small audience, expensive. The Cartoon Network may be the only place we can hope to see space opera in the future.