Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not asking for it to be realistic, just not blatantly contrary to some very basic scientific concepts. Super-powers are inherently unrealistic, but if I'm going to accept them as part of the rules of the universe I need something either somewhat plausible or so outside my field of knowledge that I can just accept it without questioning (magic, nanobots, etc). If that line was a joke, the director clearly didn't know it. If it was serious, someone should have called them on how implausible it sounds or provided a reason why it wasn't. Otherwise, just don't bring it up.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

FWIW, the last time that I read, the official Marvel Comics explanation for people who get their powers through radiation accidents and such was that they possess a latent mutant gene that needs some stimulus to get it going. All of this goes back to when giant, cosmic beings called the Celestials paid Earth a visit during prehistoric times and experimented on humans.

And it was just a throwaway line...the only unusual thing in his past that they knew of that might have something to do with his powers.

This would probably be the show's first step in attempting to establish that yes, some people have something in their genetic makeup that allows them to develop powers in conditions that others wouldn't...but we won't use the M-word...we won't even call it an "X-factor"....

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

If it works for Daredevil and the Ninja Turtles, it can work for Chan. I liked the last episode. It showed the restrictive side of Shield.

Their hitting all of Shields bases if you ask me. Handling the super powered, employing the exceptional, spy vs spy, and the last episode's mistrust thrown every which-a-way is what I expect in Shield series would have.

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So...the Winter Soldier trailer's up on YouTube, via Marvel's official channels.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, it looks cool. More on topic, I'm curious what interaction the Captain America people and the Agents of SHIELD people have had together and if they plan to incorporate anything from there into the show.

6. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was wondering the same thing, especially after seeing SHIELD (the organization) being featured in nearly every frame of that trailer.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Cool Captain America trailer. So far this was the best SHIELD episode, though it's not quite good enough to be called "good". Still, headed in the right direction. More espionage please..

RAMA

8. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope there's some mention - heck, I hope there's Thor 2 content/mentions after that movie opens. Otherwise, what's the point?

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The point for any show or movie is to tell a worthwhile story in its own right. Crossovers and allusions to other parts of the same universe are a nice bonus, but they shouldn't be the raison d'etre.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

If they didn't have the carrot of the larger MCU to dangle in front of people there wouldn't be any reason to watch this show over any other Generic Government Agents Doing Good program--particularly since the acting & writing so far hasn't been stellar in my opinion.

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is absolutely a good point. The Government Agents shows are a dime a dozen these days, aren't they.

12. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whedon's into deconstructing conventional notions of good and evil? Smells like BS to me. Ordinary guys can't handle power but the killers in authority can? Anyone who sounds radical is just a venal hypocrite? Sky is really okay because she was just troubled and her real motivation is personal? SHIELD is admirable because it's against change?

The only positive note was the belated discovery that an international organization might at least have local personnel, even if local people have no human rights that need be respected.

Done with this.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Really, the main point of this show is to be a star vehicle for Clark Gregg. Fans were clamoring for a Coulson spinoff even before he was killed in The Avengers. This show does not exist to be a commercial for MCU movies. It exists to be the adventures of Phil Coulson. Sure, it can be both, but how shallow and mercenary would it be to make a show that had no other purpose except to be an extended commercial for the movies? That's a ghastly notion.

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

"Hail Centipede! Cut off a leg and... well, two more won't grow in its place, but there are plenty more where that one came from!"

But "Centipede" is a far more dramatic and impressive name than "Scorch." :rolleyes:

Exactly. The flame guy wasn't the point; the point is that this story just upped the threat level. Centipede now has his platelets. If they can replicate those and put them into future assassins, we might see Extremis villains who do not self-destruct.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I certainly wasn't suggesting it was, and I didn't read Corran Horn as suggesting it was, either. Dangling a carrot does not imply giving the carrot. A fan dance can be titillating without being revealing. There don't have to be explicit walk-ons or even explicit references for the fact that the show is in the MCU to be exploited for the show's advantage.

In terms of narrative structure, what we've gotten so far is the adventures of Skye.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

So, who is "The Clairvoyant"?

I am, it would seem... :eek:

So, how cool is that?

Oops.:lol: Well, I am going to go with, "Sure, it can be both".;):p

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

No one did this yet. I paused that Shield redacted sheet:
    Are they hinting that Skye is something more? I bet the contact at the end is Coulson too.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Hmmmm... certainly seems like it.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Dropped off at the orphanage as an infant? Didn't she once say that she remembered hearing her parents arguing? I guess the easiest explanation is that she was lying, but still...

20. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sleepers, although I'd rather see them in a Captain America movie.
    How about "Human Scorch?"

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013