Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

84, as it would have included Smugglers.
    Yep, it would still have been a wonderful find... a bit over 20% of the missing episodes, including five entirely missing (as Galaxy 4 3 hadn't been found then) stories. But it didn't work out.

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I included the Smugglers, but left out Galaxy 4 3 and The Celestial Toymaker 1 2 3. :)

We might also have had complete copies of The War Machines 3 & 4!

3. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Today's drama is that David Stead, who returned an episode of "The Wheel in Space" in the 1980s, has popped up to say he believes the rumors are true. (And to reveal that he's harboring a grudge against Paul Vanezis for misleading him when Stead asked about the 2011 recoveries while they were still a rumor.) Substantively this isn't different from Ian Levine, also involved in past recoveries, saying that he believed (and then that he didn't, and then that he did, and then that he wouldn't comment further); it's just further confirmation that the rumor is circulating among people who exist on the line between fans and professionals. But according to some on Gallifrey Base it's another smoking gun.

4. Candlelight

That's interesting. David is a trust worthy guy. I've spoken to him a couple of times about his discoveries and he's very sincere and honest.

5. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bad news everyone! The latest word from Mystic Meg is that they're going to keep the recoveries secret for another two years before announcing them.

Riiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

6. Brendan Moody

If I were one of that guy's "sources" I'd try telling him all he has to do to get the episodes announced is wire some money to my Nigerian bank account. Half of the missing episodes thread at GB would immediately make donations.

I loved how TIEA made its second "nothing is happening, please leave our organization alone" statement, and people immediately turned it into evidence that something was happening.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a combination of two things. First, that new message, which is aimed directly at Doctor Who fans who are anxious about missing episodes ends with "Keep watching." And second, the "THEY ARE NOT MISSING BUT DESTROYED. THE END" message(paraphrasing from memory) is itself missing. It's certainly a curious situation. :)

While I'm doubtful that there will be missing episode announcements in the future of the scale that the Omnirumour suggests, I do have to say that observing the fandom psychology on this the last three months has been utterly fascinating. There are aspects to this rumor that are like nuclear bombs in fandom's faultlines, ranging from fan entitlement to fan resentments. I don't know of a fandom that has quite the same stratification as Doctor Who fandom, and I think the longevity of this rumor has a lot to do with that as fans rail against better connected fans and use the rumor and what they believe or know to be the truth as a cudgel to either tear down the better connected fans or beat the lesser connected fans back into their place.

On that level, the Omnirumour has been an education. Thank you, whoever started it two years ago. :)

8. Brendan Moody

And if neither of those things were true, then there would be two other things. There is no wording Morris could have chosen that would have stopped people from turning "I have no Doctor Who, and am politely asking you to stop meddling in my professional backyard" into "I have secret Doctor Who, and am inviting further scrutiny."

9. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

It's largely a lot of wishful thinking, really. We all want a stash of recoveries. That's not going to happen but wishful thinking keeps many believing.

Mr Awe

10. Candlelight

I dread the morning of November 24th and nothing has turned up.

There'll be rioting in the streets!

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Only in the GallifreyBase streets. The general public is completely oblivious to this silliness.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That might actually be the most entertaining part of the 50th anniversary.

13. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mystic Moron has had another vision. We'll have to wait two years for most of the episodes but "Power Of The Daleks" will be out much sooner.

I've pre-ordered my copy from Amazon already. They tried to tell me there wasn't anything to pre-order so I created my own page. It had to be in crayon though because that's all they'll let me write with here.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ooh, I don't have any crayons, and can't find the preorder page you created, can you post a URL, so, I can pre-order mine too?

Thanks

15. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, good old Power of the Daleks. One of the five stories that are least likely to be found, given the number of overseas sales, and the number of prints confirmed as destroyed.

16. Allyn Gibson

Ian Levine has broken his silence on the subject: "I know I vowed to stay silent but I cannot help but wonder if there really IS going to be a missing episode revelation tomorrow. Gotta dream (1) In an ideal perfect world, so many many many people wish something to come true so much that maybe with a miracle it will actually COME true (2) And one single solitary person holds all our hopes and dreams and wishes and happiness in his hands, with the power to bring us joy tomorrow (3) And maybe there can be magic in the world after all (4)."

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Is that Tomorrow as in the day after today, or tomorrow as in any day after today?

If he actually means the day after today, what would make him pick tomorrow? Is there another big announcement that's been announced to be taking place tomorrow?

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe it's tomorrow in the Annie sense. It's always a day away!

19. Allyn Gibson

He means tomorrow, the 17th.

I'm not entirely clear on the reasons myself, but some of the True Believers(TM) believe that the BBC will make the missing episode announcement on a Tuesday in September. And lately the True Believers(TM) have glommed onto tomorrow as the Tuesday in September.

20. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ A Tuesday eh? Sounds like they're playing a game of Fizzbin with its complicated rules!