President Bacco's Future (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been a while since I did one of these speculation threads in here so bear with me if you would. I was just curious about President Bacco's future in Trek Lit. Am currently just past the half way point of Cold Equations "Silent Weapons" and I believe the book mentions Nan is in year five of her term (extended without explanation as well). I was just wondering given all that President Bacco has been through during her time in office and what she's endured personally now...would she seek re-election? I know that the "Star Trek: Online" developers gave her a second term in that game...but as we all know here, that isn't necessary the case here.

Thoughts on this? I would understand if when the time comes, Bacco didn't seek re-election and other candidates crop up soon (perhaps they already have?)

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm all for another term. It would be good to have a follow up to Articles covering the election and process !

3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Articles did not sell well enough to warrant an Articles of the Federation II, unfortunately.

It possible that The Fall covers the election period.

I am going to reelect her because I can't see an equally strong and sympathetic character being built sometime soon. ;)

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd be happy if she and Admiral Akaar got on a shuttle, flew off and never came back.

I imagine that after the apocalyptic chaos that was Destiny and the turmoil that's followed, the people of the Federation would want someone else on top.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd half wonder that with all the apocalyptic chaos in Destiny if she would -want- to put with with that crap for another four/five years.

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I say vote her in again. How bad a job did she do with the resources at her disposal?

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I like her a lot, but she's older, has gone through more than 3 regular presidents ever would, and
    just lost her top advisor/friend Esperanza
    . She may want to retire and spend her afternoons at the ballpark on Cestus III. It would give us chance to see some other political types take center stage at the Palais..

8. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't STO give her a third term? Noting that the only reason she ran a third time was to give the Federation needed continuity amid the aftermath of the Hobus supernova, or...something?

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could see her going in either of those directions: retirement or second term.

What I fear, I won't name.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I, on the other hand, really enjoy both characters and want them to stay.

I don't understand this logic at all. Bacco was in no way responsible for the Borg Invasion, but her diplomacy kept the rest of local space from turning their backs on the Federation. And she's managed to take the Typhon Pact and encourage its moderates while avoiding a war with its hard-liners (not incidentally dividing the Pact between the two). Not too shabby a job in spite of all that's happened.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not sure how you could blame the events of the past five years on Bacco. She has faced an incredible amount of chaos and has come through each time. Not to mention making strides in interstellar relations with both the Romulans and Gorn. I would think most people in the Federation would consider her to be a popular President.

What's the problem with Admiral Akaar? I think he's terrific myself :)

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

+1

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't one of the DTI novels hint towards her being important in 'events to come' or something along the lines?

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well Akaar generally seems to be a character that suffers from stick up the ass syndrome, but even though has his sympathetic moments even if he's not totally likable. There are worse Admirals to be had for sure. Bacco... just seemed to be stressed out about her job(who wouldn't given the crap she put up with?) and trying to do the best she can. I wouldn't blame her one bit for passing the baton on retiring back to Cestus. Only thing I could really see keeping her in office is a sense of obligation if the forerunner is somehow corrupt or incompetent. Section 31 presidency anyone?

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

She was suspected of being behind a certain key near-future event, but the book ultimately revealed that someone else would be responsible for it. However, it was established that she would be remembered positively by future generations.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find him boring. Big guy, warrior culture, doesn't exactly get along with his people - sound familiar? Plus making him the baby from "Friday's Child" is incredibly fanwanky.

17. Paris

I like Akaar and the fanwanky tie-in to TOS, but i find him kind of lacking in the character development area. We got to see some of it in Martin & Mangels second Titan book, The Red King; but since then, he's just been the go-to admiral in the books. I'd love to see a novel, like Articles, from his POV as the head of Starfleet.

And YES, i am aware that Articles didn't sell very well, so this is unlikely to ever happen.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That's what subplots are for. If Bacco's reelection and/or Akaar's perspective on things can't support a novel of their own, make 'em a subplot. Maybe over several novels...

19. Paris

That would be good enough for me :techman:

20. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I hope that the great grand son of Josiah 'Jed' Bartlet becomes the new president
    And Garak as his advisor :)