The Blacklist

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by stj, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just saw the last episode... I watch the show but I don't pay the closest attention whe it's on... when Red told the woman (I forget who the woman is?) that he has an arrangement with so-and-so but not with her, he was talking about Alan Alda's character?

2. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

No. He was talking about the assistant director of the FBI, Harold Cooper.

3. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Since the thread has been dormant a while, I'll put this spoiler warning on top.

With the current episode and the teaser for next week Tom has officially been outed. He is some kind of agent tasked to marry Liz. Apparently he doesn't even know what he is supposed to be doing. Is the ultimate target Red? Lots of questions raised by this.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, I think I missed something in this episode. Was the women Red was having investigated the same woman at the conference with Tom? If not, what are the chances the woman at the conference was actually a plant by Red? Maybe she was just leading him into thinking she was part of the same organization as Tom and taped that whole last conversation in the hotel room? Remember, all she actually said at the end was "you're not married to her" (or something similar, I forget the exact words). He did all the talking after that.

5. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Needs more Spader. :(

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's been trying to seduce him for the last three episodes, starting with talk about going to see an art exhibit where the photographer takes snapshots of the cum faces of married men she is having affairs with...

We were supposed to believe that she was pretending poorly not to be that photographer and that if he cheated on Lizzy, when he cheated on Lizzy, that he would be a sterling piece in her collection.

A couple weeks inbetween episodes doesn't really help cement the continuity.

7. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

It's the same girl that Red checked in the government database.

I'm more confused over Tom's behaviour. If she is just pretending to be in love with Keen, why does he deliberately pressure her about the baby, her job and everything? Moreover, we have seen him been upset about the relationship that in that case is a sham. Strange. Or does he waver in his conviction to the job? Randomly making out with his colleague in a bathroom seems really strange. I really have no idea what is happening anymore.

8. sojourner

Hey, was Lance Reddick on Intelligence last night? If so that means he was competing with himself for ratings.

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The problem was the actor wasn't told if his secret was innocent or sinister or if he even had a secret, probably because the creators had no idea what it was going to be until they got around to thinking about it.

It's like those TV shows with a long-running murder mystery and the performer doesn't even know he/she is the killer until the final episode script, so suddenly they have to act differently (The Mentalist, The Killing).

10. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Who played the judge?
    She looks familiar but she not listed on imdb and Google is not bring her name up.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

She was the NYC DA in Law & Order when Adam Shiff (Steven Hill) left.

13. sojourner

And "mom" in the movie The Lost Boys.

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

In the case of The Killing, the show runner did know that that particular character was the killer, and encouraged them to act a certain way in a pivotal scene (I'm keeping it as vague as I can to not spoil anyone who may be interested in watching it).

As for the Blacklist, while I'm glad we're finally finding out that Tom is not on the up and up, it feels like all the time the show did to prove he wasn't, seems a little like wasted time.

I mean I'm all for misdirection, but Red was so sure that Tom was bad, and well we've not see Red be wrong yet, so why would he be wrong this time?

15. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yeah, it would've been a better reveal if it came out of nowhere. But at least now we have it over and done with; we know.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Hopefully this means we're building toward an end of Liz and Tom's relationship, or at least taking it somewhere more interesting by introducing his treachery/spying into the mix more often instead of keeping it a background element of his character. It's not that I have problems with relationships being depicted in action/thriller/drama series or anything, but I find theirs particularly obnoxious and insipid for some reason, especially in contrast with the rest of the series which is comparatively well-done, IMO.

Though it's surely a realistic concern for couples in that situation, and it's refreshing that it's the husband being the one doing the complaining this time instead of the wife as is usually depicted, I can only take so much of the repetitive and tedious "You're putting the job before your family" trope from nearly every show and movie that deals with law enforcement.

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I kind of want to see Liz so influenced by Red that she starts operating in a morally gray area too. I doubt they'll go that far since I'm sure they want her to be the counterpoint to Red's morally gray behavior. Liz kind of went their by attempting to steal that object from the Syrian Embassy.

18. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Especially since it is not true. The father of my best friend was the assistant Chief of Police of a medium sized city. He was home on most nights and weekends and it seemed like a regular 9 to 5 job.

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So much of this show is reduced to sound bites for a scene. Red says Tom isn't who he seems, Liz doesn't believe him, that's the end. Red doesn't explain why, Liz doesn't ask why. It's like Lost where these characters seem to only exist in the moment.

20. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    They've had some classy guest stars with Wiest, Alexander and Rossellini.

Now all we need is Joan Allen and Sigourney at some point and I shall be happy bunny.