Episode of the Week: 2x08 "A Matter Of Honor"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MikeS, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Going from "I have my father to thank for that" to flat out telling his father "You should have been the one to die" is not quite that realistic a jump. Both "A Matter Of Honor" and "Times Square" would seem to paint Riker as a man who got along with his father just fine, which is not the case at all. That's what I don't really like. It's like if Picard said his family was so proud of him when he enlisted in Starfleet, yet all of a sudden change into a family that resented him joining Starfleet. Thankfully that's not how it went and we were able to get a hint of Picard's family before they fully fledged out. Riker doesn't have that appropriate set up.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well a moment of childhood originated rage in a heated situation might take over decorum, but for day to day there was no reason for Riker to have mentioned he didn't get along with his father. There was a small hint of resentment in Time Squared.

Out of the whole family I think it was only Picard's father who resented Jean Luc going into Starfleet.

3. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A real fun rocking socking episode with a great turn by Frakes (it's a pity the popularity of Data and Worf would see Riker get marginalised as the show went along, he's great when given decent material), more top notch direction from Bowman and some decent guest star turns.

Especially from Chris Collins/Latta, who gets to ham it up marvellously. Even if his inner Starscream slips out during his moaning on the Enterprise bridge.