Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aww shucks, it was nuthin.

And yeah, I do need to go do the other stations. Just been lazy is all. Those things are a pain to set up.

2. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Finally getting around to splicing together a working texture pack from the old (not updated since january) Terracraft pack and the current default, its interesting though time consuming. I'm also not happy with a couple of things from either pack, like the armor, so I'm gonna try and find something from another pack.

3. Cutter John

I do exactly the same thing with my texturepack (based on the 32x Gerudoku pack).

But thats one of the things I love about MC. Default MC is really ugly as hell. But with the right texture, it really can become a thing of beauty. And its so darn easy.

Heck just last night I borrowed the skeleton and spider texture from an entirely different set. Now skeletons are wearing battered old armor, and spiders look like giant jumping spiders. :)

Update: As an experiment I replaced the ugly old cobble texture with an embossed block. I think it looks rather nice. How about you?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

That does look nice, Cutter. The one I have is slightly embossed as well. I like embossed textures as they help give a sense of texture.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I like the embossed look, definitely. :techman: I'm still not ditching DokuCraft, though. ;)

6. Cutter John

Oh not giving up mine either. All I did was replace one small square on the texturepack. Just like I did earlier with the tallgrass and the torches. :) It really is a patchwork pack now.

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I replaced some of the paintings in my texture pack with personal photos. :lol: Editing texture packs is fun.

8. Cutter John

A bit of news straight from Jeb, who did a MC presentation at Dreamhack over in Sweden.

- No plans for dynamic lighting, due to performance and gameplay issues (Mobs spawning, mobs burning in light, etc.)

- Dragons aren't 100% out-of-the-question, but they most likely won't happen.

- Oceans (Basically just GIANT bodies of water) are probably not going to happen.

- There will be an item or something to make diamond tools more powerful.

- No plans for obsidian tools.

- Animals will be more persistent, only really spawning at the generation of a world.

- There's a possibility for infinite map height.

- Pistons will not push players/blocks far (This was seen in the pistons WIP video though, but he explained why)

- Adventure mode will be more rewarding to players who like to explore (Notch mentioned this a while back as well).

- NPCs are pretty much planned (Most likely for adventure mode, although he spoke like they weren't).

- There's a high possibility for "exclusive" items/blocks found in certain areas. Sort of like the jungles, corruption, etc. in Terraria.

Part 1: http://www.justin.tv/citricsquid/b/288355296
    Part 2: http://www.justin.tv/citricsquid/b/288361863

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Your links don't work, Cutter.

10. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a pity, I kind of liked the scale of the Atlantic on that world map I played a few weeks ago. Admittedly, 9 minutes to cross it was probably too much, but something 2 minutes wide that goes as deep as bedrock would have been awesome.

I like the idea that we'll have to breed animals, but it sounds worrying for existing worlds. I hope I wont have to generate new chunks to find farm animals, especially since I live on an island so getting animals to my main base would be a nightmare.

It sounds like you'll be able to build up infinitely, but the world wont generate mountains higher than those currently in existence, which is a pity. :(

Excellent, I've been wanting this sort of stuff since the introduction of biomes. :techman:

11. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Easy:

[​IMG]

:p

12. TheGodBen

I don't even want to think of the logistics behind having to do that. :scream:

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Any thoughts on having "ancient ruins" being rendered as a part of the base world, with matching artifacts that can be used to boost the abilities of certain tools? Would make for an interesting extra angle.

14. Cutter John

Iasius - Hey if they'd go ahead and give us linkable minecarts it could work. :)

137th - I've ben hoping for that feature for ages. Maybe throw in a few hidden monster spawners too to make it challenging.

Mojangs been very tight lipped about this update though. So could be anything.

15. TheGodBen

I'd love something like that, they could be like dungeons on the surface. They'd have to be rare though, there should be at least 5 minutes of walking between ruins.

I know that I said I was finished with SSP, but I decided to go back and build a rail line to my new Sky Needle, something I hadn't done as I didn't have enough gold. That meant I had to return to my mine shaft at Fort Jupiter which I've barely even used since the pre-Halloween update era. Back then, slimes were very rare so I never went up against one and only saw two in my world in all my time playing. That meant I had no slime-balls, which I'm going to need soon for sticky pistons.

So while I have been mining over the last few days, I kept my eye out for slimes in the branches. I saw 3 small ones, punched them and failed to get any slime-balls. (Pro-tip: Don't ever shout out "Give me your slime-balls!" in the middle of the night, it's easy to misinterpret.) But this afternoon I was walking down the main branch of my mine when I heard what sounded like a slime orgy. I looked down various branches to see where the sound was coming from, but it quickly stopped. I assumed that some slimes had drowned in an adjacent cave, or something like that. Then I looked down one of the branches and saw this:

[​IMG]

17 slime balls sitting in a 1x3 tunnel. :wtf: I've just gone from 0 slime balls in 9 months of playing to 17 miraculous slime-balls in time for the 1.7 update. The great Notch is clearly looking out for me. :angel:

16. Cutter John

I do hope 1.7 gives Slime spawns a boost though. I've actually yet to see one on the server. Even if I did though I wouldn't have the heart to kill them, I think they're kinda cute. Well, except for the really big ones.

* Fixed stupid typos*

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  17. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

Well That's frustrating. For some reason, my savegame won't show up in the load screen, and nothing I've done will do anything to fix that. The only back up I have of it was from a week or so ago, and that sends me back before I had finished the Nethercoaster, the massive obsidian pyramid or, worst of all, my massive treehouse. :/

18. TheGodBen

Did you try renaming the file level.dat_old to level.dat? That worked for me once before (while also resetting several chunks near spawn and destroying half my house), but I'm not sure if it works with the new save structure.

The small ones are kind of cute, you can easily forget that they're trying to kill you but lack the ability to do damage. Still, I need their balls for sticky pistons and if that means killing some cute green things then that's what I'll do.

19. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

I tried renaming, yes, and then someone elsewhere wrote that I should try using MCEdit, which also would not load it. It appears both level files were corrupted somehow, I really don't know how yet. There was a few odd glitches earlier in the week, the game dumped me out and when I reloaded I had nothing in my inventory and I was at a new spawn point (in which I lost the rest of my maps).

I guess I'm just going to roll back and try some new things out, at least I get back my maps.

20. Cutter John

Awww, that just sucks Hoser. My sympathies.

Heh. Balls...