Batman's Rogues gallery in the Nolan-Verse

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Capt_Pickirk, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How do you think Batman's Villains would be played out in the somewhat realistic world that Chris Nolan created???

What Villains do you think would stay the same?? How do you think other villains would be different??

2. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clayface would be a big no-no in the Nolanverse.

No shape-shifting, No identical mimicry. Not sure how'd they interpret that character to be honest.

3. ^ maybe just a really good makeup/prosthethics guy with villainous intent. Some "identical mimicry" would be possible, though not for an extended period of time.

4. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

^ Simple, if you think about it. Clayface used to be an identity thief pre-Batman Begins, and with the escalation of Batman's arrival he took it to the next level: kidnapping and killing his victims, and assuming their identities via prosthetic make-up.

EDIT: Ya beat me to the answer by seconds, Stone Cold Sisko. Quicker than the Flash you are :devil:

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Any reason they couldn't use the orginal version of Clayface? He was just a stage actor using masks and makeup? Later they revamped him in that arc Mud Pack where he takes blood samples and injects them into himself giving us the shape shifting hulking monster we now know.

Black Mask would be another mob boss, just using the mask as a schtick not too unlike Joker's "war paint".

Penguin, like wise would be another type of mob boss and he likely wouldn't be disfigured at birth. They could play an angle that his fingers had been cut coming up the ranks giving his hands a 'flipper' look I suppose.

Catwoman would work fine as a thief with her whip gimmick and toned down outfit. Don't expect exploding cleavage I'd imagine or big goggles or purple suits.

Riddler wouldn't have to change really at all. He's about as straight forward as they come. Would his role be that of mob boss, doubt it. Could see him as they used the Scarecrow, a hired distraction for the mobs.

Killer Croc is hired muscle with his name being a handle. No green or scaley skin but he perhaps wears croc teeth in a necklace, wears croc boots perhaps.

Bane I could see as an out of town force muscling his way into the Gotham Underworld. They go with the revised version where hs is venomless but is a superb fighter.

Firefly is a hired thug who sets arson fires for insurance money. He plays only a bit part in some film with Penguin or Black Mask.

6. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Killer Croc could be a former UFC or MMA type dude who is a very large fella with skin that mimics scales. (Like "Scales" on the Cape)

7. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

All interesting ideas, but one wonders whats the point of theorizing... are we expecting the Nolan-verse to continue beyond Dark Knight Rises, with the departure of Nolan (and possibility) Bale, or will they re-re-boot the franchise?

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Fun. Fun is the point.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

To be honest, even though I'm not crazy about Nolan's take on Batman himself (not mysterious or mythic enough), I actually prefer his more realistic take on the villains for some reason.

Characters like Killer Croc and Clayface always struck me as being WAY too cartoonish and fanciful in the comics and cartoons.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Clayface would be based on the original Golden Age Clayface (who was an evil version of Boris Karloff and/or Lon Chaney Jr), a former actor who did his own makeup. Later turned to crime and murder using his expertise to create the "Clayface" persona.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a rumor that Penguin was actually going to be a arms dealer that Batman dealt with in The Dark Knight.
    I could easily see this look crossing over without alot of changes. I don't think it's that over the top or cartoonish.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Penguin- European. Runs a high class club/bar. Overweight. Secretly the bar is a meeting place for mobsters.

Riddler- Works at the newspapers making the crossword puzzles. He snaps and kills some at the paper. Starts making riddles similar to the zodiac killer.

Clayface- The hot new stage actor in gotham. He takes on disguises

13. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could do Mr. Freeze as more realistic. Firstly, they would need to treat the characterization the way that Batman: The Animated Series did; a more serious and sympathetic tone. His more unrealistic elements could be trimmed to a simple liquid nitrogen spray gun and a suit to carry the liquid and protect from backwash.

As for the wife, she would really just be dead and he couldn't accept it.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

And the freezing aspect could be used for motivation

"I want those that turned their back's on my wife and I to feel their coldness...."

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

But hopefully with better dialogue with fewer grammatical errors. :p

16. Capt_Pickirk

^
    'Alright everybody, chill!'

You could get arnie to play him!!

Oh wait..

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought of another one. Poison Ivy could be a botanist who loses it and starts using plant based toxins to commit crimes and/or targets plant related locations.

18. Capt_Pickirk

Scarface would stay pretty much exactly the same. Nothing to change there really

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well this looks liek a bit of fun. Let's see...

Penguin:
    I think he works best when he operates as a middle man, a fence and information broker rather than a mobster in his own right. The Iceberg Lounge can do double duty as a legitimate front for his black market deals as well as a Casablanca type neutral ground for competing mobsters. Doesn't need to be deformed, just a short, portly guy that got his name for his preference for black tie formal wear and an almost snobbish sense of vanity. Likes to think of himself as a cultured intellectual and prides himself on his blue blood background (the the old Cobblepot fortune has long since dried up.)

Riddler: Easy in this day and age. He's a crazed, shut-in blogger turned predatory serial killer with a thing for puzzles. He's smart enough to be able to show off his handy work while protecting his identity, but can't resist leaving clues. Imagine something along the lines of the Zodiac killer with an internet connection.

Catwoman: Very little adaptation needed with Selina, just so long as the costume is a tasteful mix of style (she is a "cat" after all) and practicality. The full body jumpsuit actually makes a lot of sense when you consider that she wouldn't want to leave behind fingerprints, fibres or even DNA at the scene of the crime.

Poison Ivy: Botanist turned eco-terrorist with a thing for honey traps and exotic poisons with no known antidotes. Probably targeting Bruce's industrialist buddies (or Wayne Enterprises in general) for their involment in oil spills, logging, pesticides and toxic waste dumping. A genuinely stunning beauty who uses her looks to get close to powerful men and dose them with a slow acting contact poison.

Victor Fries: As others have said, the BTAS take is pretty much the definitive version in terms of his characterisation. It's just a matter of making the cryonic stuff halfway plausible (as plausible as sonar phones and memory cloth at least.)

Killer Croc: Huge meat-head, possibly ex-military/special forces (perhaps discharged for violent misconduct and general psychotic behaviour?) Maybe joined up to escape a childhood in the circus as a sideshow attraction (do those things still even exist?), maybe has a scale like skin condition. Probably heavily into body modification, filed teeth, split tongue, implants under the skin, facial tattoos, that kind of thing. Basically hired muscle but with a mean streak about a mile wide and a really sick and creative taste for pain also makes him very sought after as an underworld "interrogator".

Harley Quinn: As with Catwoman and Freeze; if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Just giver her more of a gothy/punk/Priss from Blade Runner look and it's job done.

Bane: Lucha libre type wrestler and steroid freak turned Mexican drug cartel enforcer. Did some time in some of the southern hemisphere's least pleasant correctional facilities. Maybe a qualified pharmacologist before he fell on hard times and venom is his own personal cocktail of steroids, amphetamine and growth hormones. A nasty brew that maintains his physique and fuels his berserker rage but has made his body so dependent on it, he can never stop taking it or else he'll go into terminal withdrawal. Much smarter than he looks and went from hired goon to running a cabal by systematically killing his way up the food chain while keeping his competitors at each other's throats.

20. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Better yet give her martial arts talent. Make her Vietnamese. And change her name to "Cheshire." :p

Actually, given the pop cultural abyss that was B+R, that's maybe not the worst idea.

But it reminds me, Deadshot would work out fine for a Nolan film.

The Riddler's problem in a movie is the same as my impression of most of his comics: he's fun enough, but all he can do is offer a generic Batman case. For a $3 comic, that's okay; for a theatrical film, a generic Batman case is insufficient.