Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Actually I kinda wish the relationship HAD progressed more between those two. It just seemed silly that these two grown adults-- who were clearly attracted to each other and cared for each other a great deal-- never did anything over the course of 7 long years.

Their acting like a couple of nervous teenagers around each other just seemed awfully forced and contrived after awhile.

2. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I was also going to mention that one. ;)

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I just watched "The High Ground" again, some Picard/Crusher teasing in there. But, again, much more subtle than it was in the first season but it's there.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that the Olympics are over, I'm speeding up my viewing of TNG on Blu-Ray and watched up through Home Soil tonight. Some thoughts, since I've been talking about the other episodes:

-11001001 is probably my favorite episode of the season, but it brings up one of my pet peeves in terms of television drama. The countdown to the ship's destruction is a really really slow 5 minutes. I mean does it really take 49 seconds to get from engineering to the Bridge? I don't think so. I really feel bad for the woman who played the role of Minuet at the very end of the episode. I know she was only a hologram, but it's gotta suck to be compared to a much more beautiful woman and being told indirectly that you're ugly. As for the Remastering, I loved what they did with the Starbase. Now fix the audio issues and this episode is probably in my top 2 if I were to judge the episodes based on remastering alone.

-I guess I'm in a minority, but I kind of liked Too Short a Season. The Make Up work was done pretty well, and despite the acting being bad, I still liked the story, especially the end.

-When the Bough Breaks is really not a good episode (Even though, again, Aldaea looks beautiful in HD) but it had 2 cute moments:

1) Alexandra hugging Picard on the planet
    2) Alexandra giving Picard the flower. Was that a stuffed tribble she had?

-DS9 gave us Allamaraine, TNG gave us "Ugly Bags of Mostly Water". I wonder in the same vain, what did Star Trek, Voyager, and Enterprise give us in the first season that's as corney as those two phrases. ;)

Seriously though, while Devil in the Dark did so much better, I still really liked the urgency of this one.

Perhaps when everyone is done with the season, we can rank our top 5 episodes based on remastering only. For me, so far I would rank them:

1. 11001001
    2. Datalore
    3. Encounter at Farpoint
    4. Where No One Has Gone Before
    5. Lonely Among Us

There really are some episodes where the remastering isn't really as noticeable (Like When the Bough Breaks) as others, but that doesn't negate the job and Care CBS has done with these sets.

5. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Interesting little exchange on Twitter:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  6. Mott the barber

Wow. Great find! Extended edition plus remaster plus effects plus commentary!?

7. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What? We should be promoting the fact that Trek came up with the most accurate way to describe politicians when TNG aired 25 years ago :lol:

8. tomalak301

I guess that definitely answers the "Will TNG on Blu-Ray" include any commentaries question. That's great though they got the original writer to do commentary on one of TNG's classic episodes, and it's the extended cut.

9. Mott the barber

You literally can't get any better than that.

Makes me nuts to think what they may do for BOBW, although it's sad that Piller is gone. :(

Maybe there is some previously unseen footage of him discussing the two-parter.

10. tomalak301

Coming of Age is one of the most underrated gems of the first season in my opinion. Two different plots, and both of them worked. We had the start of the conspiracy plot (Which I wish was a lot larger than two episodes) and I think this was also the episode where Wes turned the corner from "wonderkd" to young teenager who isn't perfect. I think we see more of it in Season 2, but I really do wonder if the writers decided to dial it back by not having him attend the academy on the first try. Of course that also had to do with Weaton being in a contract for the show, but it is still good to stick with on-air meanings.

Something I am starting to notice about the remastering (And this is by no means a criticism) is that it seems like the planets turn out to be the same. If there was one thing I had wished they might have done was do like they did with some of the Star Trek remastering and give a planet it's own personality. Also, was there a light on Murdock's breathalyzer thing in the original (Before HD) episode? I don't remember that light being there before.

Still, great episode.

11. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

New Fx?

Does the extended version require some FX work that doesn't just involve sitting around a space station and talking?

Did they cut out a whole sub-plot of Maxwell's proto-Data's arriving on a warship which the space station and the Enterprise had to defend themselves from?

I joke, of course, but even if there were some new FX needed you have to imagine reusing establishing shots of the Enterprise
    in Station Orbit would've been enough, what could they possibly have to create for a mainly talking ep? :confused:

Unless....they did fix the scaling stuff by changing the type of Space Station the ep is set on? :confused:

12. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Mostly mundane stuff, like the transporter effect and viewer images. These are the extra scenes that can be found in the teleplay:

• Picard, Admiral Nakamura & Maddox beam aboard
    • Following corridor/turbolift conversation with Picard, Riker, Nakamura & Maddox
    • Picard talks to Nakamura on viewer in Ready Room
    • Maddox shows up at Data's farewell party
    • Gymnasium scene between Picard (who's fencing) and Riker
    • Picard prepares Data for trial in Data's quarters
    Here's a copy of the teleplay with the additional scenes in bold:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a22yu4

13. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am really excited at the prospect of commentaries! Would be really cool if they did a few every season going forward!

14. Mott the barber

Okay, I got around to "Angel One" last night. I know it's dogged a lot around here, but after seeing it for the first time in years, it's not THAT bad. Yes you have the awkward moments, but it was cool seeing Geordi (and then Data) in command as well as Riker having to think on his feet in giving a "Picard-like" speech to Beata without the help of Picard who was incapacitated.

Some more general thoughts on Season 1: I'd forgotten how much Troi and the Doctor were relied upon so early on. By this point the Doctor has cured Picard of about three different types of diseases and Troi has really been Picard's "right-hand woman" (I'd forgotten how much she took charge in Angel One).

Coincidentally, Gates wouldn't be back next season (although for other reasons, as discussed) and Marina was marginalized/written out of about 4 or 5 episodes later in the season and feared she would get the ax too.

15. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

I didn't find Angel One to be so bad, but then I've never had to sit through it before. I was expecting something boring or grossly offensive, but it was just a standard Season 1 ep, IMHO.

Maybe seeing the episodes on blu-ray is colouring my opinion. I didn't even find Justice that horrible this time.

Last night though, I got round to seeing Too Short A Season for the first time. Wow...that is a bad, bad, bad, bad episode. One of the worst I've seen from any series. Awful make-up, awful acting from the guest stars, barely a plot to speak of. I was dozing off ten minutes into the episode.

16. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

For someone who is very, VERY sensitive on the depiction and treatment of women in entertainment, Angel One felt like an episode that tried to tell a clever gender story and not really succeeding. For starters, TNG didn't come off as a gender equality amongst it's characters even though we're supposed to be dealing with an enlightened humanity. Men are still primarily the ones in charge and women are the doctors and councilors. I know the series had Tasha Yar as the head security officer, but Picard rarely respected her. Remember the episode Haven when she made the suggestion to disable a ship that was about to endanger an entire planet? Picard's reaction was simply "And then what, Lieutenant?". This is the chief of security on the Federation flagship trying to help a planet, and Picard just openly calls her very logical plan as incompetent in front of the whole bridge crew.

With all of that and other episodes that literally state that women are not important, I can't help but feel this episode to be a little bit ironic in trying to show how far humanity has come. Also, it doesn't help that the rebellious survivor who we're supposed to sympathize with is acting like a smug jerk the whole entire time.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I dunno, I think that's a bit unfair to how women were treated in TNG.

Anyway, Angel One I've always found to be a decent episode and I've never seen much problem with that others seem to have. The only real problem I have with it is that it goes a little overboard in depicting the men of Angel I to be the "weaker sex" and overboard in how little women on the planet regarded the intelligence and capability of men, including the men from an alien race.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, I'll say one thing about women on the series. For all the hay Roddenberry made about NBC rejecting a female first officer because a 60s audience wasn't ready for a woman in a position of authority (of course, nonsense), it's amusing that with a relative free hand and an 80s audience, Star Trek: The Next Generation chose to put men in charge.

19. Kryten

Kryten Ensign Newbie

Having just watched Haven this evening I do have to wonder if they checked the product at all before they sent them out to the retailers. The first two minutes sounds like the sound was recorded in a bathroom and the second half of the episode is full of echoes. Picture looks very nice though.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Late to the party here. I just received my set this afternoon. I've only watched Encounter At Farpoint so far as well as some of the supplementary materiel.

The new images are really nice with the added clarity, detail and true colour. In terms of sound, though, I found it better not to listen to it in 7.1.

I'm pleased enough so far to think I'll be replacing my dvd sets with these.