My problem with HEROES

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RobertScorpio, Nov 11, 2008.

1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

And I am a big fan of continuity driven shows. The problem with Heroes is that it is hard to remember anything that has happened on that show...Last nights 'past' episode tried to frame things around past events on that show and its just hard for some to recall where the motivations were at a time JUST before the show started....

The twist at the end was good, but I am starting not to care about these characters because, A, they never really die, and B, their backstories are so screwy its hard to remember.....

They need to make the show easier to follow. I know that sounds, well, simplistic of me...but sometimes TOO Much planning can be the wrong way to go...LOST found this out too

Rob
    Scorpio

2. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

You may want to stick with sitcoms if you can't remember the (so far) permanent deaths of Nikki, Adam, Alejandro, Candice, Deveaux and his daughter, Isaac Mendez, everyone Sylar killed (including super-hearing lady, make-things-melt man, Molly's parents, super-memory chick whom Hiro befriended 6 months in the past, glass-breaker goth dude, etc.)...not to mention D.L., Linderman, Hiro's dad, and (though it may be in question) Maury Parkman.

But no, they never really die. :lol:

ETA: Bob with the Midas touch and Eric Roberts's character also come to mind. And no, flashback episodes like Monday night's do NOT equal bringing a character back to life.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  3. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My problem with this show is that it doesn't make much sense since the beginning of this season. It all looks like some random stuff that was made up on the spot (kinda like Lost, but Lost makes it much better). People who were presumed dead for 2 seasons show up, others dissapear, villains turn good, heroes turn bad - for no apparent reason. Suddenly, everyone is everyone else's brother, sister, mother or father.

I loved the first season and even thought that the second was pretty good too.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

My problem with this show is that they think taking their character's powers away = drama.

No, Tim, it equals been there, done that.

5. A Clockwork Lim

A Clockwork Lim Lieutenant Commander

My problem is Season 2 sucked and Season 3 is a desperate attempt to repair the damage done in Season 2 by creating even more damage.

I'd prefer they go with Kring's original idea of saying "fuck it" to the current cast and instead bringing in a new one each season or two.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the second season wasn't great, but at least it was fairly easy to follow. The third season just got so convoluted and mixed up that I ultimately stopped caring and stopped watching.

To be honest though, I don't think they could have sustained the quality of the first season anyway. This was a show more about surprises than characters, and unfortunately all the good surprises have been used already.

7. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

Season 2 was bad. I quit, then got persuaded to go back and watch to the end. Eh, okay, I thought, give season 3 a shot.

Quit after 3 episodes for good.

It kind of reminds me of 4400 in as much as the first season was a great set-up, but they had absolutely no idea what to do with it.

8. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

lol, convoluted and not easy to follow?

What's happening to people these days? This is "Heroes", it's not that complex at all, and in fact, any comicbook I read these days not only reference things from even farther back than 3 years (Dan Slott, Peter David, and Kurt Busiek spring to mind right away), but the plotting is equal to, if not more complex, than what we see on this show.

How dumb does a show need to be to keep people following?

How does anybody follow the Treks at all? "All Good Things", 7 years after the premier (not 3!) and roughly doing the same thing as Heroes the other night must have been what REALLY turned people away from the modern Treks!

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well I think they realized that Peter and Hiro are far too powerful and create too many problems storywise, I mean in reality Hiro could solve any and all problems on the show just be travelling backwards in time and fixing things.

10. Luckyflux

Luckyflux Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think season two sucked, I know every week I was eager to see each episode. Some eps were good some were bad. It worked for me.

Season 3 is weird, the stories aren't written well. They are written just to power a story instead without much realism. I mean Hiro is like I am bored, I need a mission. Hey who are you Mister Msytery person that just so happens to show up now for no reason? Here is a secret thing and don't f-ck with it......

It just doesn't seem right. But I am still into it. I look forward to Monday night to watch Heroes! I wish they would tell better stories for the characters I like....like Future Peter when he had his powers and kicked the crap out of like 3 or 4 dudes! The scar looks cool too. I do wonder how he will get the scar....

11. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Like you, I still watch. I just wish it wasn't so damm confusing a times..

Rob

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah it helps a lot to have the DVDs and have rewatched them recently.

For instance, after reviewing the S1 DVDs not long ago, I was struck by the disconnect between the Sylar who scrawled FORGIVE ME a hundred times on the walls of his secret room and the remorseless Sylar who emerged not very long afterwards.

I figured it was just one of those discrepencies that crop up in complex serialized shows and it would never be reconciled. It was a small detail, not something that really required an answer.

But now we know the connecting bridge was Elle and Noah's manipulations. Wow. And they remembered to have Sylar actually say "forgive me" early in the episode to jog our memories. But that was two years ago, after all. You'd still need to have the DVDs.
    Lost is an even better show than Heroes is, so that doesn't persuade me! :rommie: Practically every show on TV is made for short attention spans. Watch one of those and leave the Heroes and Lost to those of us willing to make an effort to keep up.

Yeah this show is a slaughterfest. But he does have a point that if you can identify the fan-favorites, and that's not too hard to do, you can also figure out which characters are immune from any real deaths.
    Very dumb. TV is 95% brain-dead shows and people want to take the non-brain-dead 5% away? Geezus, leave us something! :rommie:
    It's not that bad. Mohinder's characterization this season makes no sense, but the rest of it either makes sense or doesn't blatantly not make sense.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Well, no he couldn't because as he has said, going back in time causes more problems than it solves. In season one when he went back to tell Peter to save the cheerleader he said that he was "risking a rift just by coming here".

Let's put it this way, Marvel has a character called The Sentry. He is the equivalent of Peter because he is so much more powerful than everyone else that he could just put a stop to whatever was going on whenever he wanted to and nobody could do a thing about it. Ultron killed his wife Lindy and he just decided it wasn't true, he chose for her to be alive and she was.

He does, however, have a weakness - he's insane. He refused to fight the Hulk because it would have meant leaving his house. He's missing during the Skrull invasion that's going on right now because they took advantage of his insanity.

Claude referred to a potential weakness with Peter in season one - absorbing too many powers makes them unstable. That's a good weakness that can easily be turned in to, for example, Peter can't risk switching between powers too much because he might go nuclear again.

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

^^^And yet Hiro continues to travel only backwards in time, he did it to set up Andro's fake death and again to try and get the jump on the African precog.

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Only one of the two worked.

There's a bunch of scenes in what would have been the next episode of season two after "Powerless" before the strike hit where Hiro and Ando argue over Hiro's refusal to continue using his powers.

Hiro's decision is probably largely based on the fact that he went back in time, by accident possibly, where he met Kensei/Adam Monroe. His actions directly contributed to Monroe becoming a villain when he had the potential to be a great hero. That led to Monroe almost releasing the virus and wiping out most of the human race.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Next season is going to be about Hiro's time travel creating a paradox that destroys the universe. There will paintings everywhere of a blown up universe, painted by a 12-year old skater boy who is high on Red Bull.

It's up to Sylar to find Hiro and tell him to go back in time in order to prevent himself from going back in time.

Meanwhile, Claire and Elle become BFF and have sexy pillow fights, while the Petrelli brothers take turns bitch-slapping each other.

Matt marries Daphne, and Mutant Mohinder has babies with the turtle.

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Sounds better than this season.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

And I forgot about Adam, Hiro put him back in his casket twice. And they made Hiro powerless in the first season as well, because they know he's too powerful I think Tim Kring talked about that once.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The ability to go back in time does not make you all powerful. You still need to be able to affect change.

And yes, they have taken Hiro's powers away before. Then there's the Haitian, the virus taking away Nikki's powers, a combination of Sylar's injuries and the virus taking away his and Peter's memory loss causing him to forget his powers (and thus not use them as effectively).

Do you now see why I say they've done it too many times already ?

20. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

My problem with Heroes is that the some of the characters are so damn powerful, the show requires plot-induced-stupidity to give them any challenges.