Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chuck Finley, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not that I'm defending the hateful trolls on these internetz, but some people do actually pay for cable, dvds, etc so it's a stretch to call Breaking Bad 'free entertainment' only because some people steal it. Or... were you calling Lost free entertainment? In which case, network TV throws the argument into a grey area.

Anyway... TV shows: free for some. I guess that's my point. :shrug:It's very amusing that a well execute finale would please many but draw the ire of those who hates other series' finales. It would be like having a fit on a very excellent Christmas because your Christmas in 1995 was shitty.
    "This Christmas was great, but FUCK CHRISTMAS 1995 TO HELL!"

2. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Bravo, indeed. I've thought a lot more about it since last night. Most interesting is the identity of Walter White's "Felina" and his "Rose's Cantina." The only part I'm still not sure about is exactly who the "handsome young stranger" is supposed to be. It should be obvious but, for some reason, is not.

3. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Not wanting to get into a discussion of Lost too much here, that simply isn't true. While a lot can be figured out, there is a lot that also cannot and simply doesn't add up. And I'm not talking about inane shit like explanations for trivial details, but core things like motivations for characters doing what they do going unexplained. It's fine to leave a little mystery, but when characters start doing strange things just because MAGIC, that's basically bad writing. You can't label that as being the fault of people watching it, that's a load of bullshit.

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

5. doubleohfive

I disagree entirely. But to further explain why, I'd need you to give me some specific examples of what things you are referring to.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, everything about LOST was pretty much explained outside of a few small details. Some things are a little ambiguous but there's enough clues to piece together an answer which is preferable to being spoon-fed everything; makes the show rewatchable.

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Wow, she sells a whole line of products including the Heisenberg Hat. :lol:

Maybe not, but it looks like Breaking Bad gave him a career boost and I don't think he'll be known as Walter White the way Hugh Laurie is known as Dr. House.

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The fact that Cranston looks so different in real life will prevent him from being typecast.

9. doubleohfive

Certainly Breaking Bad has upped Cranston's reputation as a dramatic actor, but he never needed a career "boost." He's been acting since at least the early '90s in everything. The X-Files (where Vince Gilligan first met him), Malcolm in the Middle, Murder, She Wrote, The Simpsons, Babylon 5, John Carter, Argo, How I Met Your Mother, Power Rangers, Seinfeld... the man is the very definition of "versatile actor."

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

He was awesome on Malcolm in the Middle, he is still awesome today.

10.3 million viewers.

The season 4 finale had less than 3 million, and season 1 had less than 1 million. That's like a 1100% increase.

Well deserved, a beautiful 62 hour (~45 minute long hours) movie.

11. Ryan8bit

I think at this point it's probably a disservice to keep discussing the particulars Lost in this Breaking Bad thread. I feel like we're sidetracking here a bit too much and that this kind of thing could go on forever. I think we can just agree that it was shitty of those people to heckle Lindelof over those things and leave it at that.

12. Agent Richard07

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. For a while it felt like his main "boost" was shaking off being known as the dad from Malcolm in the Middle.

Back when the show started, I saw the numbers and wondered why people weren't watching.

13. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know about karma, but criminals' families reaping benefits from criminal enterprises is not generally considered A Good Thing. That's why the Feds -- you know, the good guys -- would have interdicted the money if they could.

I think it was primarily to eliminate her as a threat to Walt's family.

14. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Un-frigging-real.
    And Face-Off was one of the greatest season finale's ever. Gilligan gives a lot of the credit for the ratings explosion to the show's exposure to new viewers on Netflix.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Anybody else actually feel kind of sorry for Lydia at the end? I know she was threatening Skyler's life and had ordered Walt to be killed, but still... having her be poisoned with Ricin just felt unnecessarily cruel to me somehow. Especially given the rather contrite mood we'd seen from Walt through the rest of the hour.

I mean it was pretty clear that she wasn't some evil, sadistic mastermind or anything; she was just a fearful and nervous woman who was constantly scared about getting caught. I would think it would be enough for Walt to simply point the DEA in her direction and have her be arrested-- which for her would still be a pretty damn terrifying fate.

16. Agent Richard07

I was thinking about her daughter. What will happen to her?

It did seem unnecessary but the writers had to find some use for the ricin, which hadn't actually been used until that point.

Tie up all loose ends. ;) And now that we know what she was planning, it seems that Walt was right to get her out of the way.

17. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I think from the moment Walt realized Lydia had sent goons to threaten Skyler and the kids, her life wasn't worth a plugged nickel, as they say.

18. Ryan8bit

Lydia was a target because Walt knew should would call for him to be hit. It was very calculated. This wasn't the first time that she had ordered underlings to do her dirty work of killing, so she wasn't exactly any kind of innocent person. Walt was just turning that on her, which I think she deserved.

19. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, I didn't feel sorry for her. No more sorry than I felt for the gangsters she had gunned down in the desert.

I thought it was clear she was pretty evil, she just didn't get her hands dirty. She certainly had no qualms about having Skyler killed. If she was arrested Walt would have to worry about her connections eliminating witnesses.

20. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. He is always showing up in extremely varied projects. He was never going to be an A-List actor, but with his performance on this show, he's cemented himself a solid finish to his career, being that he's coming up on 58. For the next 10 years he can very likely get quality work, granted, maybe not A-List motion picture work as a lead actor, but I bet we see him in cinemas doing very strong supporting work

The guy I'm worried about is Aaron Paul. If the trailer for Need For Speed, that I saw on last night's finale is any measure, he is not off to the best of starts. He has far many more years of a career to maintain, & his brilliant performance on Breaking Bad might not hold out at keeping him relevant, & may serve to even typecast him