Star Wars Spin-Offs

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Bry_Sinclair, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if there is a thread dedicated to this topic, so if there is I appologise. There has been chatter about a new line of spin-off films being made as well as Episodes 7-9, including the possibility of one focusing on Yoda.

If this did go ahead, I would love to see it go back 900 or so years and look at him when he was just a Padawan, before he became the great Jedi we know he becomes. It'd be interesting to see the Jedi as keepers of the peace and not warriors.

If they do go ahead with spin-offs, what/who would you like to see?

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Of the ones heavily rumored, I love to see Yoda and Boba Fett movies. Young Han Solo, not so much.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Yoda as much as the next guy, but a Yoda-centric whole movie... a recipe for pain and disaster, that is.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I heard there was interest in doing a take on Seven Samurai. Given Lucas's original influences for Star Wars, it could be quite fun. I wonder what kind of time period it would be set in. To me, the spinoffs offer a great opportunity to mix things up and not just put everything post OT timeline.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Didn't they already do that with 'The Clone Wars' series?

6. Alidar Jarok

I have no idea, but that doesn't really change anything. Supposedly Zack Snyder wants to do a Star Wars Seven Samurai. If Zack Snyder wants to do a Star Wars Seven Samurai movie, Zack Snyder gets to do a Star Wars Seven Samurai movie. Whatever happened in a cartoon series that had a much smaller audience doesn't change the equation.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So seven rogue Jedi protect a village from the Empire?

8. Alidar Jarok

I guess. You'd have to ask him.

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

As I suggested back when the first inkings of this came out:

10. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That actually sounds like an awesome idea, and we get more Mace Windu. I don't think it would ever happen, but its a great idea for a Star wars movie.

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I've toyed with a script for it off and on for a while now. I just wish I had someone I could put it in front of, or at least toss a treatment at. Certainly a better idea than a Yoda solo flick.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gotta admit that sounds pretty good (magnificent? ho-ho!) laid out like that.

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

That does sound pretty bad-ass! Always wanting more Mace.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a live action Ahsoka Tano. After leaving the Order, she then watches from seclusion as the galaxy descends into evil and darkness, with her former master, mentor and friend at the forefront destroying everything he had taught her to protect and safeguard. Looking at her own internal struggle to deal with what is happening--with all that Anakin is doing conflicting with her conscience, questioning if she would've been able to bring him back from the Dark Side, worrying about her own fortitude against evil, etc--whilst trying to live off the grid and avoid the Empire, though never quite able to get away from doing the right thing and helping those in need.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I'd see a young Han Solo movie. I'd see a movie about Yoda, but as long a he was part of an ensemble cast rather then the sole focus.

I wouldn't cross the street to see a Boba Fett movie. Easily the most over-rated character in the entirety of the GFFA.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if I'd go for a Yoda-centric movie. They have done a Yoda focused novel (Yoda: Dark Rendezvous) and a Yoda centric comic (Jedi: Yoda) that were good, but I'm still not sure if they could pull off a movie. I would enjoy a Boba Fett movie though. Honestly, I think I'd rather see them explore different time periods rather than focusing on specific character.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Fett was a lot more interesting back when he was just the mysterious, silent gunslinger archetype, just like Vader was more interesting before we knew he was a mopy teenager with mummy issues.

Likewise, any movie that sheds more light on Yoda's background will only serve to diminish the character. Like Fett and Vader, he's only interesting so long as he remains close to his archetype.

I mean do we really want to find out that Yoda was a rebellious padawan who was a constant disappointment to his master or something similarly uninspired? I know I don't.

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

This seems O/T but bear with me.

One of my favorite Justice League episodes had Luthor talking down Amazo--I'd like to see a rationalist take issue with the Jedi.

They represent peace, but will lop a limb off in a heartbeat.

Having a villain from the Imperial remnant point out that--without the Empire--the Vong would have certainly have conquered everything, would make for a more engaging foe than a cackling 2D Palpatine.

There is an interesting story by Borges called "Three Versions of Judas"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Versions_of_Judas

I might have Palpatine be the galaxies Judas--like Luthor, he had a role to play. He was made by the Force for one reason--to protect itself from the Vong.

The Jedi are shocked, and hide the whole shameful discovery...

This is the key to the greatest science fiction--you start off with a bang like Lucas, and end like something from Umberto Eco...

19. Deimos Anomaly

Deimos Anomaly Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh, on that note... look up an actress called Emily Browning.

Here, I'll save you the bother:

Pic
    Pic 2
    Pic 3

A few months ago on another board I saw a person suggest her as a good match for a live action AT portrayal. After looking at her I realised that this was pretty much bang on. Her facial resemblance is uncanny. And since then, I can hardly imagine anyone else for the role.

She also went through a load of sword and action training for the movie Sucker Punch, see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7leHv3d11E so she's already well into the kind of conditioning and co-ordination and stuntery needed to shoot Jedi action scenes in a Star Wars show.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

A movie based on the Knights of the Old Republic games.