Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by lurok, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Re: Firefly first-time/rewatch

Dang. Not the best episode to start with. Not really representative of the show. I thought the whole hillbilly thing was just... well, stupid.

2. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I looked earlier. Several episodes are available free, including Our Mrs Reynolds and Out of Gas.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh when I looked they were all there, but maybe I wasn't looking closely enough.

Miss Lemon that's great!! I look forward to the review kicking off once you've watched it.

4. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Okay, I should go back and watch some more. Thanks for the info re "Safe". It was ... huh ... funky.

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

We shall all await Miss Lemon. No pressure, what.

6. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

I'm sorry lurok, I had no time to watch my new DVD this evening, because I had some urgent business to attend to... buying new light switches.

But seriously, I wouldn't mind at all if you decided to post a review of the pilot before Thursday.

BTW, my Pinot Grigio was a bit blant.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Care to share or do we have to guess?

8. lurok

No worries (a trifle antipodean but you discern the sentiment :))

Some people are sooo selfish. :)

9. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the life of me, I'll never understand why Fox chose to show "The Train Job" first instead of the Pilot. That's probably one of the reasons I didn't give this show much attention when it originally aired. "Cowboys in space with wooden furniture and trains..." seemed a bit silly.

The Pilot - Serenity - does quite a bit to establish the necessary details of the series. Settlements on numerous worlds hosting colonists with literally nothing more than the clothes on their back (thus explaining the simplistic furniture), a defeated soldier turned smuggler, and the whole Simon/River story which is the real core of Firefly.

One thing I caught last week (or was it 2 weeks?) when I watched "Serenity" was Book's reaction at the end of the episode. Book is noticeably disturbed, as any good religious Shepherd would be, at the killing of the Fed agent and how Mal and the crew live just outside the law. Yet, later, we'll learn that Book wasn't always a noble religious shepherd. He's had a dark life. The later fleshing out of his character kinda contradicts this scene in "Serenity." Book shouldn't be having a crisis of conscience.

Of course, he could be acting in order to preserve his cover.

10. marksound

Trying to avoid spoiling things, but hey.

Mal pulls what looks like a cross out of his shirt and raises it to his lips.

11. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

SPOILERS BELOW -- DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SERIES YET.

I think it makes sense, but that's based off of how I saw things. I thought that Shepherd Book was a religious man that really did serve in an abbey, but this happened after a life that probably put him there to protect himself and others. You have other hints that he's more than meets the eye when he's injured and has Mal give his id to the Alliance, and they get him the best medical care possible with a lightening speed.

Then, you have Early saying that Book isn't really a Shepherd in the last episode, like he knows something about his past. This doesn't mean that when Book was at the abbey that he really didn't "serve" and find a spiritual path for himself. Who knows how long he was there and why? This was the number one reason why I wished the series had continued, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Because it's a better episode?

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay are we actually starting it?

For that you need fresh passionfruit.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You might be on to something there, if it were true.

15. lurok

I thought we already had. :)

Oh. You mean review time. ;)

16. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since the OP has watched the Pilot, and Lemon said she wouldn't mind us starting, I took that as a green light.

Another thought I had watching the first episode. The Reavers are supposed to be wacked-out crazies living on the edge of sanity. We'll see just how wacked-out pretty soon. The Reaver ship passes Serenity and keeps going wherever they are going. Serenity lands on the moon. Suddenly, the Reaver ship turns around and homes in on Serenity's (nearly) exact location! What are the odds and what kind of equipment would it take to do that? Talk about finding a needle in a haystack. And wacked-out lunatics were able to do it? Really seems one of those too-convenient/because the plot called for it moments.

I liked Patience as a villain or foil. Had the series continued, I'd have liked to revisit her again. Glad that Badger kept returning.

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Hm.
    No, no that's not it. :)
    TJ is a ham-handed rush job that Minear and Whedon whacked together in a 3-day weekend because the Fox Execs didn't think "Serenity" had enough joe-six-pack action.

18. marksound

Exactly. "Time for some thrilling heroics."

I wouldn't call it "ham-handed", even though it was written in a rush. The fight scene had some decent moments. I like the Niska character, and the dispatch of Crow was pretty funny as was the next henchman's reaction.

19. lurok

As this is first time for some posters, can we be careful about future episode details? Doesn't really bother me but just in case does some best to flag up now. I'll post my Ep 1 review later :)

20. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Niska was a GREAT character, and I'm glad they created him so he could come back later and be all menacing and such. :)