Yukikaze: Tom Cruise to star in live-action adaptation!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris_Johnston, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Just days after I'd finally gotten hold of the Blu-Ray version of one of the most awesome animé series I've ever seen (been waiting 8 years to see Part 5!), comes the news that Tom Cruise's next project is gonna be a live-action version!

Tom Cruise Attached to Star in 'Yukikaze' Adaptation for Warner Bros.

Yukikaze (anime) - Wikipedia

Yukikaze - GEARS Online

Now I need to go track down the original novel!

Sorry, but the only YouTube clip I could find of my favorite sequence is in un-subtitled Japanese.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXadee4y5PQ&hd=1[/yt]

2. BlackFire3

BlackFire3 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I very seriously hope that it's not going to be a topgun clone. unless they do a shot for shot, I don't think he's going to impress the fans of Yukikaze. I can tell you right now, they're more than likely going to show what the jam actually look like that won't measure up to how most percieve them to look.

if we're lucky it won't be a slap in the face to the fans where they just take a reconizable thing from the source material and go in a different direction like the dragonball LAM

either way, this is going to be a tough one to reproduce that will satisfy the fans. however, anyone who doesn't have a clue what Yukikaze is then they'd probably enjoy it since it's planes shooting stuff down.

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I just got Naval Enthusiast wood watching that clip! :eek:

I'm pretty sure if cruise was tapped to be in it "Top Gun Clone" is exactly what Warner was thinking, since it's not like Paramount lost money on that movie.

Of course, that would be a shame. You're definitely going to lose a lot of the quality in the translation.

4. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's a little old to be playing the lead as it was in the anime... but hell just have the lead be Maverick and make it Top Gun 2.

Highlander went all sci-fi for the sequel and it worked out so great...right?

:eek:

5. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

First time hearing about Yukikaze. The clip reminds me of Macross Zero.

6. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I doubt that the Tom Cruise version will be called Yukikaze and I don't think Wind-blown Snow would cut it. I predict Blizzard.

7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hm. Tom Cruise, a member of the Fairy Air Force... :vulcan:

8. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guessing there's a rename of the planet or else we'll have a South Park 'come out of the closet Tom Cruise' sequel in the works lol

9. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Translate it into Japanese "Yousei". Still sounds a bit daft though...

10. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't look very distinctive. What is it about? What's the appeal?

11. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Did you perhaps click any of the links I provided in my original post?

12. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I've watched the clip. Reading the Wikipedia entry won't tell me what the appeal is.

13. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

I cannot wait for the day when Cruise will be just another strugglig actor, at least in terms of getting big roles.

14. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a shame they decided to make this classic their next victim.

BTW: I have to admit that some of my favorite moments are the Mave's "engine test" mentioned above and the one a few episodes earlier, where a Super Sylph (Yukikaze's first airframe) plays tag with an alien missile inside a canyon. Third place would be the one where the Rafe is used as a "human shield".

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm all for another Top Gun-esque Tom Cruise vehicle, so bring it on.

I've never seen the anime, but would have to agree with Mirroball Man that the youtube clip and wiki entry hardly inspire much interest in me in the original IP itself. And this comes from someone who likes some stuff like Macross. So I don't mind how it's adapted.

Just make it fun, with lots of cool jet action and an appropriately awesome soundtrack please! :D

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Well seeing as "Top Gun 2" might be put on hold due to Tony Scotts death this project landed in Tom Cruises lap instead.

He probably couldn't resist the chance to fly again in a movie(real or CGI and a gimble set)

So......

Top Gun 2 with aliens?

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I've seen the show, it had some amazing animation. Not sure what a live action version could being to it, but Cruise is actually pretty good at picking projects, so he must have liked the synopsis or script.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Here's a wallpaper Ive used from the show.