Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Marvel has been basically laying off their top talent. Unless you are Gillen, Bendis, Fraction, Remender, Aaron, Waid, Slott or Hickman, the rest of them has either gone to DC like Pak and Parker or gone indie like van Lente.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

DC seems to be having their trouble with talent as well. Seems every 6 months we see an article where talent is leaving due to "differences".

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

add Brubaker to the list that went indie

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Next week's previews...

Age of Ultron #6
    Astonishing X-Men #61
    Cable & X-Force #7
    Captain America #6
    Captain Marvel #12
    Daredevil #25
    Daredevil: End of Days #7
    Dark Avengers #189
    Iron Man #8
    Nova #3
    Savage Wolverine #4
    Superior Spider-Man #8
    Thunderbolts #8
    Thunderbolts #8
    Ultimate Comics Wolverine #3
    Venom #34
    X-Factor #254
    X-Men Legacy #9

My pulls-- Age of Ultron 6, Daredevil 25, Savage Wolverine 4 and Iron Man 8. This will be my last issue of Iron Man, the end of the "godkiller" arc. I'm a fan of Keiron Gillen, but this book just hasn't been doing it for me.

Also, July solicits...

Previews and solicits both courtesy of CBR.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not surprised that "Winter Solider" was cancelled...I was curious to see how long it would last without Brubaker at the helm since it was kind of his "baby".

We don't really hear much of the Marvel editorial decisions too much. We get most of the DC stuff I think since Rich Johnson has a strong bias against DC for whatever reason and seems to be buddy buddy with the Marvel writers.

6. Hound of UIster

I don't think he has a Marvel bias, he did report the increased workload at Marvel. It's just that Marvel editorial isn't run by idiots like DC is. Man-children sure, but certainly not idiots who are busy fighting amongst themselves for no reason.

7. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I have to admit though, while I didn't quite agree with everything post Marvel NOW - at least they lived up to their premise of a new jumping on point that wasn't a reboot, the only problem is - some of the stories just aren't that interesting or the things that made some books awesome were the creative teams so to have them hurry hurry rush rush get their storylines wrapped up before the relaunches - other than say the X-Titles just kind of ... killed some of the momentum.

FF and Fantastic Four - had an interesting premise but honestly - after a handful of issues I just kind of don't feel like they're worth the money to buy individually anymore. Same with Iron Man - the art's pretty - they finally got off Fraction's frickin' annoying alcoholic storylines - which was boring me to tears - it was one thing to mention it after Tony had his little drinky poo with Odin in Fear Itself - it's a whole other frickin' thing to KEEP. AT. IT. FOR A YEAR! And honestly I really dislike the whole AA mentality of "I'm an alcoholic, I'm an alcoholic, I'm powerless to change that, but I'm not drinking." which seems like opposite what a frelling SUPER HERO should be. He beat his real addiction in like a handful of issues and stayed sober until a massive trauma and then beat it again and stayed sober for years and years and years - I mean the last time he was a stumbling drunk in 616 was in the mid 80s. So really for MOST OF SOME PEOPLE'S LIVES he was clean and sober.

And yet everyone remembers him as a drunk.

So it's nice to see a Tony that's a bit more RDJ and actually kind of moving past all that and inventing and adventuring - honestly the first arc of Iron Man was pretty damn good to me - it wasn't great - but it felt like reading old school Iron Man again. He was hitting on anythng with breasts, he was making cool stuff again. He wasn't whining or wallowing in self pity. He wasn't talking in sort of weird disjointed sentences. I mean I think Fraction took his whole "brain reboot" thing as brain damage and just made him really social awkward. Like he had Aspbegers-lite. Or he really didn't give two fucks about anyone - which in some ways is "classic Tony" and in other ways it really isn't.

I'm still not convinced about the whole space arc - especially when you still see Tony in the black and gold suit in Avengers and other comics. I mean when the hell is that arc supposed to be taking place? When he's out in space with the GotG and yet you still see him flitting around in the black and gold?

Uncanny Avengers - I liked it for the first couple issues - but really I dunno - it feels awkward. Weird story directions. Kind of out of character dialogue. And some really brutal and sick shit - like cutting out Xavier's brain and "melding it" with Red Skull - WTF? I mean seriously? I don't think the brain works quite that way. Where you just shove some DEAD GUY'S brain into your head. Not to mention it was pretty sick - granted he's a super villan - but still. And the fact that he's got professor x's telepathy on a massive scale?? His power was his brain sure - but uhm. Red Skull wasn't a mutant either. So how the fuck does that work?

My thought is that they just did some sciency thing and he's using that Sublime made KICK or MGH again and X's brain is just in a bottle somewhere - which is still kind of lame.

I dunno the longer I read Marvel NOW the more I'm questioning its focus - sure there are some great stories coming out of it - some of the X-Titles honestly are pretty good. But I wonder if the reason why they're putting all the AVSX and Marvel Now stuff on the Marvel Unlimited service is because people are starting to drop the titles and they need new readers to maybe get sucked in that they'll buy the newer stuff again.

I dunno... although honestly why would anyone buy the individual copies if I know in less than six months it'll be on the service for less than 10 bucks a month and I can read everything I WANT

8. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I have found the vast majority of the Marvel Now stuff to be so much drivel. Captain America is nearly unreadable, Iron Man in space is laughable, Uncanny Avengers has so many characters wrong I dont know who I am reading and those I think are the three worst offenders.
    On the Positive side Indestructible Hulk is pretty solid, I am enjoying All New X-Men far more than I thought possible and Superior Spiderman is the best book Marvel is putting out right now.
    Most everything else falls into the who cares pile. Thor started strong but has been the same story in every issue for at least the last three. Fantastic Four is not advancing the main story quickly enough. The other Avengers books are just not interesting, the Starbrand story is very poorly done from a charcter standpoint.
    Its also not helping that they keep trying to wedge books into the Ultron storyline which should have just been released as a stand alone story in another timeline and be done with it.

9. Hound of UIster

I think it's largely a result of the double shipping Marvel is doing. As a result there is really little time to address the story problems as they appear, which in turn just gives us a more inferior product.

10. Admiral_Young

Let's see favourite "Marvel Now" (not including the books that were later added with the label) books:

-Indestructible Hulk
    -Guardians of the Galaxy
    -Nova
    -Deadpool
    -Uncanny X-Force
    -FF
    -Thor: God of Thunder

I think that's it. Uncanny Avengers has been a let down, although the last issue was Kang was probably my favourite. I've dropped Thunderbolts, Iron Man was dropped after issue two, Captain America has been sketchy I agree both art and writing. I've made my issues pretty clear regarding Fraction's Fantastic Four, along with both Bendis X-titles.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Captain America...yeah, i really don't care for the current Dimension Z story. i feel like i'm just reading the book simply out of habit.

i enjoy Fraction's Fantastic Four but i would agree his FF is the superior book of the two.

i like Cable and X-Force more than Uncanny X-Force. actually thinking of dropping Uncanny X-Force unless it picks up soon.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Colossus got laid and the return of Boom Boom?

What more do you need?????

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That Dimension Z story is just garbage.

14. Admiral_Young

I'll be interested to see what Remender does with Cap after it concludes, which I think is supposed to be pretty soon.

15. Guy Gardener

It will probably involve his change in costume?

16. Guy Gardener

Dear god!

No Bryan Hitch in Age of Ultron 6?

And they had to get someone that underwhelming?

They could have kept the book shelffed for another year if it had meant that Hitch would have finished the final issues.

17. Hound of UIster

It's not hard to guess. Cap fights an alternate timeline or universe version of himself/the avengers/his enemies. It's essentially the only trick Remender has used consistently. Honestly it's getting boring and worn out.

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, when Hitch drew Age of Ultron, it was only supposed to be five issues. When they decided to expand it, Hitch had long since moved on to other projects and Marvel didn't even tell him that it was going to be a longer series. Plus, as he made clear in a CBR interview, he had no great affection for the project because he was nothing more than an artist for hire.

19. Hound of UIster

So wait, it wasn't Hitch being late with art, it was Marvel delaying it themselves. Why? It would have been a better swan song to Bendis's Avengers run than the Wasp stuff and the Luke Cage issue.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Because Marvel decided that Age of Ultron would be better suited as a line-wide event than an Avengers-family event.