September Challenge: Sigils and Unions--"Immersion"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Nerys Ghemor, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^Agreed.

It is an emotional bond, going beyond friendship...beyond family.

For me, I would not be suprised at all if the two come together...but there is room for their staying apart....

2. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

A wonderful story! I loved the twist of a secret discovered becoming a secret kept. The stark chasm between the Oralians and the "party-line" Cardassians harkens to religious persecution throughout the ages. That added emotional twist had me wondering - when will her secret be revealed? That Berat kept that secret, in spite of his up-bringing, reveals the depth of his character.

As usual, you write with vivid imagery and subtle humor. It's always fun to read the back-story on characters and see the events that shape them. Very well done! :techman:

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

We'll have to see if or when it's revealed. One thing I do know is it will be up to Gul Rebek to decide if and when she feels safe to do so. Gul Berat wouldn't do it for her.

I definitely drew on historical religious persecution--and that which still goes on in our time. We may be safe here in the US, but we are not in many countries, and this fear is the everyday experience of a believer in those places.

Thank you for reading!

4. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, wow, Nerys. I'm so glad I waited to read this until I had time to savor it. It's so evocative and you set such an authentic-feeling scene -- the police state, the transponders, the sense that Big brother is really watching everything you do, and the mental gymnastics and paranoia that induces ... your stuff is always good, but I think this is among my favorite pieces of yours.

It was really, really cool to see how Rebek and Berat first met. And the way you wrote it made it like being there. Also so great to see that Berat's respect for Rebek has only grown in the intervening years. You can see the growth of his character clearly in his reactions to her faith. Such an awesome entry for the TBBS challenge, and a great addition to Sigils canon in its own right.

5. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks! :)

I think that Berat learned to see the difference between the Union's propaganda and reality. I think that genuine curiosity has come up in him, to understand how Rebek thinks, by this point in his life.