DS9: Avatar, Book Two by S.D. Perry Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Apr 27, 2014.

?

Rate Avatar, Book Two

1. Outstanding

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. Above Average

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Average

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9: Avatar, Book Two by S.D. Perry

[​IMG]

Blurb:
    RETURN TO THE EDGE OF THE FINAL FRONTIER.

As the Federation prepares to launch a counterstrike against the Dominion, Colonel Kira Nerys searches for a way to prevent another galactic holocaust. But when a newly discovered prophecy propels Jake Sisko on an impossible quest and threatens to plunge all of Bajor into chaos, Kira is forced to choose between being true to her faith...and being true to herself.

Meanwhile, as the combined crews of Deep Space 9™ and the Starship Enterprise™ struggle to stop a terrorist plot to destroy the station and the ship, lives change, new friendships are forged, and the shocking truth behind a grisly murder is revealed.

THE ASTONISHING RENEWAL OF THE EPIC ADVENTURE.

My short review from a decade ago:This second Avatar novel rounds up the story nicely. The storylines started in the first book are continued and intervowen. Some questions are answered, other not. Some new little side stories are started, like Quark's affection for Ro or Nog's problems with the Jem'hadar. Overall both Avatar novels combined are a worthy for the rebirth of Deep Space Nine and wants you to see more.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted outstanding the story has excellent writing and I like how the characters are handled in this book there's a lot of excitement and action this book surprise twists and turns that totally don't expect.I really like Kira&Kassidy yates are portrayed in this book .Also Ro Laren and Picard.The interaction with the enterprise crew too.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Another easy "Outstanding". Perhaps these should've only been 1 long book, but regardless, a hell of a kickoff to the LitVerse.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another outstanding vote for me, pretty much for the same reason as the first.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recently reviewed this book in my thread:

6. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Nice review. Were you thinking of Battlestar Galactica when you wrote "Colonial Kira"?

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Really loved this one! I just finished reading it for the first time and this opening duology has me wanting more and more DS9! I'm glad i waited to read all these books until i had everything from the relaunch. After i'm through with Jeff Mariotte's new TOS offering, Serpents in the Garden, i'm going to jump right into DS9: S31: Abyss :techman:

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No but I guess I mis-spelled Colonel :)

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

According to John Ordover, IIRC, for a time it seemed that two Trek books in the same series/arc, displayed side-by-side, often sold more copies than single books and looked good on shop shelves, so it made very good sense from a marketing standpoint to publish duologies that supported each others' sales.

10. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I voted Above Average for both books. They were a good start to the DS9 Relaunch. I did have some issue with the use of acronyms throughout the duology - some of them were never defined, or were less than obvious.

11. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Any examples?

12. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bajoran PG (which I figured out was for "provisional government"),
    SEWG (for EV suits, but never explained what the acronym stood for),
    Starfleet MI (which I assume stands for "Military Intelligence," which seems odd for Starfleet)
    and there was a fourth one that I can't find now that I wasn't able to figure out.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^"SEWG" is from the TNG Technical Manual. It means Standard Extravehicular Work Garment.

14. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My favourite unexplained acronym is RFN, used by Bowers in Zero Sum Game.

(I know exactly what it means, and I laughed out loud, it just went unexplained in the text itself.)

15. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

^^ You seen it in Vanguard too - in Reap the Whirlwind at least Reyes says it once, and it appears at other points too. And of course FUBAR is in the final book. Totes unexplained, but nice context to Quinn's 'fuck the prime directive' and second 'fuck'. David Mack, we salute you & HBO-esque Trek writing :D

16. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just finished Book Two and voted Outstanding in the poll. Combined with Book One, this was a perfect restart to the DS9 epic and easily fits as the premiere of Season 8. I felt that S.D. Perry captured the essence of the show perfectly and all of the new characters were great additions as well. I'm just mad at myself for letting this one sit on my shelf for over a decade...