Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Feb 9, 2014.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Indeed, we'll have the final season before the end of the year !

And folks, the CoC disc is WELL worth picking up... Ronny Cox has some great tales about playing Jellico. Plus, if all works out, there's a bucket of deleted scenes from the two-parter.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Sweet! I love seeing deleted scenes. It's like getting brand new TNG!

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

If it's scenes of Stewart's ass, I'm gonna pass.

4. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

THERE. ARE. TWO. CHEEKS!

5. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

:eek: :rommie: :techman:

6. FrontierTrek

Ahaha, no extra Stewart-Ass to be seen this time around!

The difference in color is pretty shocking though, the command uniforms seem almost PURPLE in SD (for eps like CoC), seeing those restored to the true color is a joy.

7. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The "true" color actually was a deep burgundy, almost purple. The brighter red that we see on-screen is due to the way the studio lights reflected off the fabric. I have a production-made uniform to verify this.

(This is similar to why the TOS command uniform appears gold, but is actually more of an avocado green)

8. Savage Dragon

I'm sure they took studio lighting into account when the designed the uniforms, much in the same way the E-D was painted with lots of blues so it would look correct under studio lighting.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am actually considering picking up the COC disc. I didn't for Unification because I didn't really need it. I haven't even heard any of the commentaries on any of the episodes so that wasn't a selling point and the features seemed a little less than what we got with Redemption. COC looks to have upped the features with the Cox interview and it should be interesting to hear him talk about his role, and maybe even the aftermath of the role.

10. trekker670

Oh, I completely agree with you. And I'm fairly confident that CBS would agree with you as well, given they actually encourage their licensees to "correct" the colors to depict what was seen on-screen, not what the actual costume looked like. (An example of this is the Red TNG Uniform Hoodie available from ThinkGeek). CBS-D has also fixed the inconsistent colors in previous episodes, as pointed out in the EAS observations for "Remember Me."

The intent of my post was to point out that CBS did not color-correct CoC to show "true color" of the uniforms as FrontierTrek stated, but they are showing a more consistant color as what's seen throughout the rest of the series.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  11. Savage Dragon

Gotcha. Thanks! :techman:

12. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope there's an anecdote about finally giving Troi a standard uniform. I'm sure someone has something interesting to say about making that switch.

13. FrontierTrek

Right "true" was perhaps the wrong word. The colorists at CBSD are more concerned with bringing out the color as it was *intended* to be seen, the true artistic intention of the original production team.

Thankfully - as pointed out by Wendy Ruiz from CBS-D in our interview from a couple of years back - the remastering has led to far more color stability over the seasons than was ever present in SD.

14. FrontierTrek

I certainly can't envisage you being disappointed!

15. trekker670

From Memory-Alpha:

I agree an anecdote from the production-side would be interesting though!

16. trekker670

Agreed regarding the artistic intention. I didn't mean to "call you out" as bringing incorrect information, if that's how it seemed, I just meant it as a clarification.

17. FrontierTrek

Not at all :)

We actually have a brief interview with the CBSD senior colorist coming as part of a larger feature down the line, it should add some nice insight.

18. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Looking forward to it :D

19. Chris2005

Chris2005 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I don't think I'm going to get the CoC standalone...

If it's a cliffhanger standalone, then I'll possibly get it, simply to see part II without having to wait for the season set.

But if both episodes are contained within the season itself, nope.

So far, the only standalone release I got was Redemption, and mainly because my dad wanted to see the 2 part episode.

20. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I'd love to get the COC just because of the interviews with Cox, but I would feel odd doing that because I'm going to get the season set anyway. This is why I avoided all the other two-parters because I always knew down the line, even with the cliffhanger episodes, that I was going to have all the episodes available anyway. COC might be an exception, but just maybe. I think it's dickish to put exclusives on these two-parter releases when it should also be on season sets, but whatever.